New member and pilot looking at upgrades.

Reaction score
Hi Guy's complete newbie to both the forum and flying here.....so go easy :D

Got a Phantom V1.1.1 from my lovely Mrs at Christmas, and what a surprise it was too.
After months of eye'ing them up and the odd dropped hint to the Mrs here and there...she took the hints on-board
and I got my toy for big boy's :lol: .

Since receiving my phantom I have been reading up about them, flown it a few times and fitted a Walkera G2D Gimbal to the under side to compliment my GoPro.

Now I've been eye'ing up replacement motor's for them.... :lol: ....the tinkering never ends.
Initially I had been eye'ing up the T-Motors Anti Gravity MN2214's to be used in conjunction with DJI's 9450 Thrust Boosted Prop's , but then I read that you would need to replace the stock ESC's with the P2's ESC's, in order to run correctly....so after a little further reading I discovered that you could also fit the DJI 2312 960kv motors from the P2 to the P1 if you swapped out the ESC's to the P2's ESC's and their also cheaper than the T-Motor's Anti Gravity MN2214's.

So really what I'm asking here guy's is - What would be the best bang for the buck, as well as ease of fitting ?

Ideally I don't want to be swapping out ESC's etc, as I have never soldered anything since metal work class in High School but if
soldering is required to install any of these motor upgrades then "back to school" it is....but if the T-Motors could be installed without swapping anything out as the manufacturer try's to imply in there info, and these would give me either the same or better performance as the DJI P2's 2312 motor's then I would happily swallow the price difference between the MN2214's and the 2312 motor's.

So what's your advice guy's ?

These can turn into a money pit with upgrades and mods. Upgrading motors would be at the bottom of my list. If budget is enough I would be thinking of an FPV setup. After having an FPV setup I would not fly without it. I would also be looking for a GPS tracker as one of my first add ons. The Flytrex core 2 or live 3G is also a nice tool to have and the 3G is a tracker.

Many thanks for the wise words Phantom Phreak, and I'll take a look at those bits you mention.

The reason I was looking at upgraded motors is, that since attaching my gimbal and GoPro it's quite difficult to take off due to added weight and the Phantom has just been tipping over....so I have been hand launching, which "imo" is o.k but not as cool as just taking off...so that lead me to investigating motor upgrades etc

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug also. I installed a PMU and iOS mini this week. :mrgreen: what a cool mod! I have my Fpv transmitter powered by a small 400 mah battery because of harmonic distortion ,I didn't have a good charge and it it went dead and I lost my transmitter . . Oh my!

I opted to get the PMU instead of the board upgrade so I could transfer it to a larger quad if needed. Everything I have added is easily moved .

Check this fat Phantom case out.
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/prod ... s_id=11015
Wayne

harmudge said:
Many thanks for the wise words Phantom Phreak, and I'll take a look at those bits you mention.

The reason I was looking at upgraded motors is, that since attaching my gimbal and GoPro it's quite difficult to take off due to added weight and the Phantom has just been tipping over....so I have been hand launching, which "imo" is o.k but not as cool as just taking off...so that lead me to investigating motor upgrades etc

With the added weight mine tilts to the front if I'm not careful during takeoff. I give it a little throttle to see what way it's tipping and correct with the right stick and hit the throttle full. Once it gets up it will correct itself .

Well now is the question how much money and time are you willing to stick into your phantom like you I was a newbie till I got a phantom 1.1.1. Now I can't stop upgrading and even collecting other types of FPV quads...but my favorite and best is my phantom 1.1.1...Eaither look up my other upgraded phantom posts or check out DJI E300 propulsion kit..comes with all you need to upgrade your motors and props I highly recommend getting the motor extensions if you get larger props and and my personal opinion some might say different but when I put larger props and the better motors I found that's when the dual batteries are in need my flight time is at 15.74 minutes as of this morning I use the phantoms timer app in play store to keep track of my battery usage and fight times here is a couple pics of my setup..feel free to ask me anything...welcome to the life of Phantom ownership LOL

E300 upgrade kit

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420993517286.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420993517286.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 531
Many thanks for the reply's guy's....it's appreciated.

Tallyrvr, that is indeed a fat case you linked up there and I am glad that your enjoying the FPV set up etc.

Phantom12014, many thanks for your reply's. I had been looking at the E300 tuned propulsion upgrade but I was unsure wether or not these would be suitable for a P1.
I like the look of your Phantom and I had looked at the extended arm mod the other day, but sadly as good as it is in the stability etc for me at the moment anyway, that is a step too far :D ....if my Mrs came home from work and saw me doing that to the Phantom she just bought for me a couple of weeks ago, I would be toast :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4