New member and P3Standard or P3 4k?

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new here. I bought a P3S a couple of days ago and am really enjoying it. I've never had a drone before but it is a lot of fun. I've had a good time flying around my house and property taking aerials and learning to fly it.
My question is whether I should upgrade to the 4k P3 or just stick with the standard? I personally feel the quality of the P3S video is sufficient for me and the still picture quality is not bad either. If anything I'd like to bump up the still image quality as video quality is good as far as I am concerned. Since it looks like I can get the 4K P3 for only $100 more I am wondering if I should return the P3S and upgrade to the 4k but from what I can tell, the only difference between the 2 models is the 2.7k video on the P3S and the 4k video on the P3 4k. Is that correct? The controller looks to have a few more buttons on it as well but haven't looked much at the difference in controllers.

My intended use and objectives for a drone:
1) Have fun flying it for myself and with my son.
2) Take fun aerials pictures and videos.
3) We spend time on the water so I want to be able to get fun videos of us on boat while anchored out and while underway.

One thing I am trying to figure out if my P3S can do is "follow me." i'd like to be able to cruise the lake on the boat with the drone auto following me (with someone else driving the boat while I handle the drone obviously!). Can the P3S or the 4k do this or do they both do it?
Essentially I am trying to decide of $100 more dollars to buy the 4k is worth it. It's not an issue financially for me to do it but not sure I need it if only upgrade is increased video quality.

Thanks and I am really looking forward to getting into flying my new drone. I've been flying it every day and a couple of times a day since I bought it and just practicing flight techniques and control nearby before I start to venture out further.

One other question...am I correct that whichever model of the P3 I stay with, either needs to be registered with the FAA for an FAA registration #, yes? I believe if you are over 0.55 lbs then you have to do that registration but it is really a registration of myself and can be affixed to multiple drones so that if I register myself and get an FAA # and return my current drone next week it will still apply to the new drone, yes? :)

My question is whether I should upgrade to the 4k P3 or just stick with the standard? I personally feel the quality of the P3S video is sufficient for me and the still picture quality is not bad either.
Since you're happy with the video, the P3A would be a better next step up.

I am wondering if I should return the P3S and upgrade to the 4k but from what I can tell, the only difference between the 2 models is the 2.7k video on the P3S and the 4k video on the P3 4k. Is that correct?
The major differences are the 4K video, VPS, and better remote controller. You can compare the specs for both models here.

I am trying to figure out if my P3S can do is "follow me." i'd like to be able to cruise the lake on the boat with the drone auto following me (with someone else driving the boat while I handle the drone obviously!). Can the P3S or the 4k do this or do they both do it?
All Phantom 3 models can use the Follow Me feature. You'll need to use a mobile device that has GPS.

Reactions: flpholt
am I correct that whichever model of the P3 I stay with, either needs to be registered with the FAA for an FAA registration #, yes?
All Phantom models are heavier than 0.55 lbs. You need to register yourself with the FAA here. Then, apply the same FAA number to all of your drones.

It looks like the P3 4K has the new style controller with more control for the camera and a better holder for your device. An ipad will fit whereas you are limite to a phone sized device on the standard with that small clip that comes with it.

I read somewhere that it has about 20% more range than the standard but I do not know if it really works out like that.

One other question...am I correct that whichever model of the P3 I stay with, either needs to be registered with the FAA for an FAA registration #, yes? I believe if you are over 0.55 lbs then you have to do that registration but it is really a registration of myself and can be affixed to multiple drones so that if I register myself and get an FAA # and return my current drone next week it will still apply to the new drone, yes? :)

You need one registration and put the sticker on both with your registration number.

I read somewhere that it has about 20% more range than the standard but I do not know if it really works out like that.
Per DJI's specs, the P3S has a range of 1,000 m and the P34K has a range of 1,200 m.

Reactions: tmartin62
Hi Woodsong, I'm new here too and I bought directly P3 4K for my first drone, reasons:
1. It only cost $100 more than P3S, but
2. You get better remote, similar with the P3P/A but no lightbridge (some thing inside the remote that can make your drone fly further and transmit and receive better signal)
3. Vision positioning system (VPS) that looks like a small fixed camera under the battery compartment facing down to make your drone hover more stable when flying indoor.
4. Extra distance 200m, although I have never had the chance to fly that far because I live in a high density suburb and lost the signal after flying 400m (perhaps due to number of BTS in the area). I have better signal (550m) when using the aluminium foil extender (cheap extender solution)
5. You have Return-to-home button on the controller.
6. Stepping stone for the next more serious drone. I'm enjoying this P3 4K, and since the control and everything is very similar with all the other better P3.
7. 12MP camera. Yeah, the picture is great at 12MP.
8. 4K video recording. Actually this would be the last and not the main reason why I bought P3 4K, because even when you record the video at 4K, you also need to have Ultra HD screen to enjoy it, otherwise it won't matter and I already enjoyed recording at 1080p60 because 60fps will make your recording really smooth and not blurred when you move the camera around. I think P3S and P3A can do this already.

Actually what I wanted to do with my drone is to fly FPV using VR goggle. Which is not really achievable with P3S or P34K. The video feed is just too late and gets choppy when flying too far.

Thanks all! I am seriously thinking of trading in my P3S for either the 4K or the Advanced. One thing I am noticing is that when I am just flying around my house and I go up to the max height of 400' and not but a few hundred feet from our property, I start getting a "weak transmission signal" notice which is surprising to me. I am near some heavier woods but they are not acres and acres...just typical suburban/urban woods along street edges, etc. Do you all experience the same issue when at max height vertically but not but a hundred or two hundred feet away horizontal distance wise?
I am really having a lot of fun with this drone though! Picture of our little town attached that I took this evening from my P3S.

Attachments

• town.jpg
    town.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 299
One thing I am noticing is that when I am just flying around my house and I go up to the max height of 400' and not but a few hundred feet from our property, I start getting a "weak transmission signal" notice which is surprising to me.
Are you pointing your antenna properly? The flat side should be pointed at your Phantom at all times -- like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting video- thanks! My remote is just the standard remote- it only has 1 antenna and it is round. :) However, in watching that video I think the issue may be a combo of factors:
1) low to mid altitude.
2) Large oak trees blocking sight a little bit.
3) When it was directly above me at 400' I got it the most and I think, based on that video, it is b.c it was in fact pretty much directly above me.

Thanks!

My remote is just the standard remote- it only has 1 antenna and it is round.
Right on. It still must be oriented as shown in the video above.

2) Large oak trees and other obstacles between your remote controller and Phantom will degradate the signal and/or block it altogether.
3) The signal is the worst when flying directly overhead (even when the antenna is properly positioned).

Thanks all for your replies. I actually returned my P3S tonight and replaced it with the P3 Professional. :) :)
I was thinking of getting the advanced for $800 but then if I bought a 2nd battery I'd be up to $950. I was able to buy a P3P WITH a second battery included for $999 as the store matched the current deal on the DJI website since they are running that pricing with a free second battery. So...for "$50 more" I got the P3P with 2 batteries. I put that in quotes b.c really it's all a good bit more than the P3S I had for the last week. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31