New Location

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a newbie to this forum and the phantom in general but hopefully somebody can help me. I purchased phantom at Xmas in Cayman Islands and calibrated with computer as per instructions etc, had many successful maiden flights there. Now however we have come to Utah and are camping in an RV. Went to fly the phantom this morning, all lights etc working ok but when it went to takeoff it just tilted towards front and wouldn't take off. Unfortunately I don't have access to my laptop now as we left it in cayman. Is there anything I can do as really wanted to fly it here in Zion national park, Grand Canyon etc. please help!!
Regards Simon

This is one time when I would say to someone you need to recalibrate your compass. That procedure does not require your laptop. Good luck, I would be mortified if I had taken mine all that way and it didn't fly.

Wouldn't you know it! I'm planning to go the Grand Canyon this spring, and was going to shoot some video with my new Phantom. I wonder what the problem is, unless it's a safety issue where they don't want folks crashing their machines into other folks.
I'd hate to think it's just a gov power thing...... :evil:

MrTommy said:
Wouldn't you know it! I'm planning to go the Grand Canyon this spring, and was going to shoot some video with my new Phantom. I wonder what the problem is, unless it's a safety issue where they don't want folks crashing their machines into other folks.
I'd hate to think it's just a gov power thing...... :evil:

Probably a bit of both
-there are probably some sightseeing helicopters that fly low, so you wouldn't want to put them at risk
-it's a sightseeing stop, national park, so perhaps they don't want noisy electronic toys flying up over peoples heads disturbing the tranquility, or of course possibly putting them at risk.
or possible litter if the craft goes down, or danger if the craft goes down on a ledge and someone gets hurt trying to retrieve it.

I think it's one of those things where as an owner, we all want to shoot amazing stuff, but a number of non-owners are turned off by it. Where does it cross the line? model rockets, gas powered RC Planes?
I guess it just makes it easier for the to ban or discourage people from doing anything aside from sightseeing and hiking.

Shrimpfarmer said:
This is one time when I would say to someone you need to recalibrate your compass. That procedure does not require your laptop. Good luck, I would be mortified if I had taken mine all that way and it didn't fly.

Thanx shrimp farmer for advice but how do I re calibrate the compass?
Regards simon

cayman57 said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Thanx shrimp farmer for advice but how do I re calibrate the compass?
Regards simon

Try this http://www.dji.com/tutorial/phantom-tutorial/ (Last video/bottom of page)

Hi again
Thanx for all your comments and especially " emcsquar" I have watched the video and although I cannot link up to a computer I can purchase a magnet and try that in case something happened during the flight here whilst it was boxed up in my suitcase. I tried again this evening and found although all lights seem ok and it still tipped when trying to take off, I did manage to fly it if I took off whilst holding it instead of from the ground. I know this is not the way to do it but maybe the front motors don't kick in as quick as the rears. Anyway will try again tomorrow when it's daytime and thanx to everyone for info on Grand Canyon, I will take this on board although now I am at Bryce Canyon and hopefully they are ok here!!
Thanx again to everyone, great forum
Simon ;-)

Gizmo3000 said:
I think it's one of those things where as an owner, we all want to shoot amazing stuff, but a number of non-owners are turned off by it. Where does it cross the line? model rockets, gas powered RC Planes?
I guess it just makes it easier for the to ban or discourage people from doing anything aside from sightseeing and hiking.

Thanks Gizmo. Luckily, most of the trips my wife and I take are out in the middle of the Nevada deserts (aka middle of nowhere - ha). I'm not worried about ruffling any feathers out there, unless we get too close to Area 51 . . .

So, guess I'll just keep my 'bird' locked up when we hit the Grand Canyon. I'm thinking that as with most rules where you initially scratch your head, someone did someTHING somewhere's back in time that caused a problem. I am now the beneficiary of that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1