New Lesson Learned

Reaction score
So, three perfect sorties..then almost lost her. I will never, ever fly into the sun again. I will always have my back to the sun. I could hear the bird, but could not see it. RTF saved me, she came back over head and then landed WHEW.

Left hand bottom of the app shows its direction from you and which way it is pointing - rotate to point it towards centre and push forward. Check height to ensure that you clear obstacles.

DJI-Pahntom-Vision-Plus-App-GPS-Fail-Safe.png

Prylar Bek said:
So, three perfect sorties..then almost lost her. I will never, ever fly into the sun again. I will always have my back to the sun. I could hear the bird, but could not see it. RTF saved me, she came back over head and then landed WHEW.

Common noobie mistake. I crashed several fixed wings back in the day before I realized that my flying field (at the time) was really useless until after late morning, otherwise the sun was always in my eyes. Glad you recovered and landed safe!

HailStorm said:
Prylar Bek said:

Common noobie mistake. I crashed several fixed wings back in the day before I realized that my flying field (at the time) was really useless until after late morning, otherwise the sun was always in my eyes. Glad you recovered and landed safe!

Well I don't know if I'still a newbie, I have over 50 flights now, but maybe. Anyway, it is the oreientaion issue that gets us in trouble. Yes, I do use the compass icon on the screen, thank you very much but that shows direction, etc., Its the visual that counts more. I also hit the ceiling of 400ft. I'll have to see how I can exceed that, maybe not

Only had 1 flight so 100% a newbie. Would Home lock be a good option to use if this sort of thing happens or would you rather go for Failsafe on the s1 switch

fin032 said:
Only had 1 flight so 100% a newbie. Would Home lock be a good option to use if this sort of thing happens or would you rather go for Failsafe on the s1 switch

Either would work. HL would pull it back to you regardless of the bird's orientation, whereas RTH would also bring it back if you had your launch point locked in.

fin032 said:
With a little practice, the radar display is all you'd need. It shows where your bird is and which way it's pointing so it's a simple matter to fly it back to wherever you want it to be. But I wouldn't recommend flying out of sight at all until you've had plenty of practice.

fin032 said:
I used Home Lock twice today. That really works well. I have Failsafe set up on S1, but I've never had to use it.

I have tried failsafe and it done its job. Got a fright when it went up the way first.

Will be trying home lock and cource lock next time as I have been reading up on them.

eyecon82 said:
My home lock acts funny. Doesn't always come back to me.

Explain "funny". Did you get a good gps fix before taking off? Are you moving as you fly. The Home lock brings the quad back to launch point...not to you...unless you are still there.

Funny meaning it won't come back to me, if will go a whole different direction sometimes. Happens randomly, but randomly enough that I do not trust the home lock feature

I am making sure home point, gps, compass, is all calibrated and set

Are you ensuring you personally observe both sets of rapidly flashing green lights before takeoff?

The first set of rapid green lights confirms the heading has been locked in, for the home lock function, and the second set of rapidly flashing green lights confirms the home location has been locked in, for the fail safe function.

My quad doesn't leave the ground until I have seen both these sets of rapidly flashing green lights.

eyecon82 said:

Mine does that occasionally also. When it does, pulling the stick back sends it away...pushing forward brings it back. When switching to Home Lock I will always pay attention to the telemetry and make sure its actually coming towards me instead of away. Don't know why it does this sometimes, but switching to Heading Lock and then back to Home Lock normally corrects things. Perhaps sometimes t doesn't receive the switch signal?

Dirty Bird said:
eyecon82 said:

Mine does that occasionally also. When it does, pulling the stick back sends it away...pushing forward brings it back. When switching to Home Lock I will always pay attention to the telemetry and make sure its actually coming towards me instead of away. Don't know why it does this sometimes, but switching to Heading Lock and then back to Home Lock normally corrects things. Perhaps sometimes t doesn't receive the switch signal?
Yep, same here. Even after 2 sets of flashing lights.

Even though, it is rare and random, it is enough that I do not trust it and I do not use it after I lose LOS.

You never know if you will be sending your bird further away rather than closer unwillingly and if you hit 15 percent battery, it's going to auto land somewhere on its own

Connect to the assistant software and check your s2 switch. You could have an intermittent failure.

eyecon82 said:

If you're talking about IOC, it will only come back to about 30 feet from its home point, then it goes into Course Lock.

MacCool said:
eyecon82 said:

If you're talking about IOC, it will only come back to about 30 feet from its home point, then it goes into Course Lock.
Yep, I'm aware.

Within 50m, all you have is course lock. And after is where home lock works.

However, even 200m away, pulling back on the stick results in unpredictable behavior

syotr said:
Connect to the assistant software and check your s2 switch. You could have an intermittent failure.
interesting,especially since my s1 switch is already failing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4