New here.

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm new to drone and I've just taken possession of a shiny new phantom 3 standard. Nearly bought a bebop 2 but swayed to DJI in the end.
Any tips will be gratefully received :).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

check out some of the many other "newbie" posts and the overriding recommendation is "read the manual" and then read it again (for both the bird and any apps that you plan on using). start with a fully charged battery and fly the bird for a while before you worry about doing any firmware updates. Dint know for sure about the standard, but if it has a Return to Home option, make sure to set the height high enough to safely clear any obstacles around your flying area (and double check the units meters or feet?).

Reactions: aermale
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Download, read, and fully understand the Phantom manual before your first flight. You can download the manual from the P3S downloads page. Also, check out the tips at PhantomHelp.com.

Reactions: yjander and aermale
I agree with the manual reccomendation. There were points I missed when I read it through that were important to get right.
Also, its very important to know how to fly a quad in atti. If you havn't learned to fly a toy quadcopter buy one and learn how.

Reactions: aermale
I recommend not purchasing DJI care and instead getting a Personal Articles policy from State Farm for $60 a year. Covers Loss/Damage/Theft at $0 deductible for full replacement value.

I 3rd reading the manual. It doesn't come with your purchase BTW. You have to find dji website and download the PDF file. Read it , learn it, love it. Read it again.
Use the search feature and answer any questions you may have, before posting. It has saved me a few times.
Watch videos on YouTube before flying. Dji tutorials channel is good. Toms Tech Time is okay also.
Fly simulation first. Understand every button and function thoroughly before your maiden flight.
Register with FAA before your maiden flight also. Their fines for not doing so can be frightening.
Watch crash compilation videos. Its easy to spot the pilot mistakes and learn from them...for free.
Print out a pre flight checklist and get accustomed to using it.

Finally....have fun and welcome to the club!!!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: glen e
For me personally, I had watched almost every video I could find on the P3s before taking possession of it. When I got it I used the simulator a half dozen times. The first time I flew it was almost like I had flown it before. Stay close to home until you are comfortable with how the controls respond, how wind affects flight, how to be familiar with the app when in flight, etc. Learn from other people's mistakes. Have a good RTH point and altitude set before you take off in case you need it. It's easy to forget things when you're excited. Use a checklist pre-flight and make sure you know what to do in-flight. If your phone/app crashes and the quad is out of sight, know what S1 and S2 are for. Make labels for your transmitter if you think you'll need them. Learn ATTI mode if you can, you might be forced to use it sometime.

Find a big field, go there and fly every day for a week. You'll be amazed how it helps. Try big circles, squares, going up and down. If you have litchi, you can record exactly the screen your looking at, the whole flight.

Last edited:
Thx for the pointers. I'm in the UK so do I still have to register with FAA ? And if so where

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
No, the FAA is USA.
I cannot say if you have to register with any authority in the UK though.
Someone will surely post that answer shortly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hi all.
I'm new to drone and I've just taken possession of a shiny new phantom 3 standard. Nearly bought a bebop 2 but swayed to DJI in the end.
Any tips will be gratefully received :).

niiiiice save in not buying the Bebop!

Good tip that comes to mind is that when you're trying to calibrate the compass or takeoff, do your best to keep away from park benches, concrete etc as they mess with the compass and will kick the bird into ATTI mode.

So sometimes it will be ready in P mode and linked to a bunch of satellites, you put it down and launch and if you're not paying attention it may have gone back into ATTI mode and will just drift off.

I find more and more that I have to hand launch to make sure it stays in P mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan