New HDMI board arrived & fitted

Hey everyone, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the logistics of using FPV goggles. Can some one explain in a little detail as to how one would use them? So now I have my Tablet hooked up like normal, then you have the goggles hooked up via the new HDMI board, so when you are flying you have to keep removing your goggles, to look at the Tablet? That seems very cumbersome, lot's of times I have to adjust the gimbals tilting horizon. or change exposure. Using goggles is not a toy hobby thing, but has real function, good clarity?

You will hardly ever use your tablet if you have goggles. The purpose is more immersive flying, better photo setup, or better vision in sun. It replaces the tablet in pretty much every aspect except for when you want to change settings via the app.

They are his own Nebula FPV glasses, which he usually sells on eBay, but I can't find any listings currently.

Really good quality, and he's supposed to have an even better 2.0 version coming out soon.
I've been hearing the HeadPlay HDs are the latest "best goggle". 72 degree FOV and super clarity at 720 DPI, not to mention they are only $250. The downside of the Headplay HDs is availability, they are hard to get, on back order for weeks. I've had mine on order for about 4wks now, can't wait to get them. My HDMI kit will be here tomorrow, according to FedEx.

One guy I remember reading a post from that has experience using Fatsharks and various other goggles for FPV said that the HeadPlay's are so good, that someone would have to be hypnotized to buy anything else if side by side comparisons were made. I'm hoping he's right.

John...I have my HDMI board installed and running. The HP's look really good. My Dominator HD's should be here today and the HDMI Mini to Micro cable later this week.

I'll do my best to offer an opinion on using each.

:harry

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find a hdmi type c to hdmi type c cable in the UK.

I want to connect the controller to some Head Play goggles that arrive in a few days.

Cannot find the cable anywhere

Thanks guys if you can help

I've been hearing the HeadPlay HDs are the latest "best goggle". 72 degree FOV and super clarity at 720 DPI, not to mention they are only $250. The downside of the Headplay HDs is availability, they are hard to get, on back order for weeks. I've had mine on order for about 4wks now, can't wait to get them. My HDMI kit will be here tomorrow, according to FedEx.

One guy I remember reading a post from that has experience using Fatsharks and various other goggles for FPV said that the HeadPlay's are so good, that someone would have to be hypnotized to buy anything else if side by side comparisons were made. I'm hoping he's right.

The biggest downside of headplay is that they look absolutely ridiculous, and are very illegal in the eyes of the FAA. Other goggles, such as the Nebula ones from Mtnmaddman allow you to stay within the law, and keep you from looking like an idiot by wearing a massive box on your head :p

plus all the backorder issues and stuff that you mentioned

The biggest downside of headplay is that they look absolutely ridiculous, and are very illegal in the eyes of the FAA. Other goggles, such as the Nebula ones from Mtnmaddman allow you to stay within the law, and keep you from looking like an idiot by wearing a massive box on your head :p

plus all the backorder issues and stuff that you mentioned
I could care less about how they look on me :) At my age they are an improvement. How do other goggles stay within the law where the HP doesn't. Please explain.

is there a website with detail on these nebula goggles? all i have seen is a few posts from mtnmaddman. what is the range of the diopter adjustment, does it have IPD adjustment, etc? has anyone tested them?

it sounds like the HP is a good price performer because it uses a single large lcd display (kind of google cardboard without the stereo vision) rather than one for each eye which i guess is also why it is so huge. i guess i could get a strong set of reading glasses, strap a computer monitor to my face and throw a towel over my head... :)

greg

I could care less about how they look on me :) At my age they are an improvement. How do other goggles stay within the law where the HP doesn't. Please explain.

Well for the Nebulas atleast, they don't cover your entire field of vision. You can look above the goggles to see the bird, in the goggles to see the screen, and below the goggles to see the tablet, all at one time.

Not that you'll ever have the FAA bust you, but if it ever were to happen, Nebula's are safe and headplay isn't

is there a website with detail on these nebula goggles? all i have seen is a few posts from mtnmaddman. what is the range of the diopter adjustment, does it have IPD adjustment, etc? has anyone tested them?

it sounds like the HP is a good price performer because it uses a single large lcd display (kind of google cardboard without the stereo vision) rather than one for each eye which i guess is also why it is so huge. i guess i could get a strong set of reading glasses, strap a computer monitor to my face and throw a towel over my head... :)

greg

mtnmaddman is the only person who sells them, that's why you've only heard from him.

best to send him a PM with your questions, or maybe this tag will work @mtnmaddman

Well for the Nebulas atleast, they don't cover your entire field of vision. You can look above the goggles to see the bird, in the goggles to see the screen, and below the goggles to see the tablet, all at one time.

Not that you'll ever have the FAA bust you, but if it ever were to happen, Nebula's are safe and headplay isn't

mtnmaddman is the only person who sells them, that's why you've only heard from him.

best to send him a PM with your questions, or maybe this tag will work @mtnmaddman
I guess I need to see a pair of the goggles you are referring to but I don't understand how you can see above and below it while it's attached to your face tight enough to keep the light out while you are staring straight ahead to see the images unless you have to pull them down or up with one hand while controlling your craft with the other. If that's the case, what's the difference in pulling the HP up to your forehead or down to your chin when you need a quick look outside. Please explain this to this 71 year old fading mind.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I guess I need to see a pair of the goggles you are referring to but I don't understand how you can see above and below it while it's attached to your face tight enough to keep the light out while you are staring straight ahead to see the images unless you have to pull them down or up with one hand while controlling your craft with the other. If that's the case, what's the difference in pulling the HP up to your forehead or down to your chin when you need a quick look outside. Please explain this to this 71 year old fading mind.

The goggles are the ones you can see in my avatar. All you need to do for full legal LoS is to remove the sun shade. Some sun will get in, but it is still a vast improvement over a tablet.

The goggles are the ones you can see in my avatar. All you need to do for full legal LoS is to remove the sun shade. Some sun will get in, but it is still a vast improvement over a tablet.
So in this hot bright Texas sun when I remove the shade to be legal, will I be able to see the images as well as in the HP? If that's so, why do you have a sun shade? If you leave the sun shade on are you more legal than the HP? Please explain.

So in this hot bright Texas sun when I remove the shade to be legal, will I be able to see the images as well as in the HP? If that's so, why do you have a sun shade? If you leave the sun shade on are you more legal than the HP? Please explain.

Not sure about Texas sun differing from Michigan sun, but without the Sun Shade it's better quality than a tablet but lesser quality than with the sun shade, pretty common sense.

More common sense, if you use the sun shade you are the same legally as the HP.

The difference is with the Nebula you have the option to fly legally, whereas HP completely voids that opportunity.

Not sure about Texas sun differing from Michigan sun, but without the Sun Shade it's better quality than a tablet but lesser quality than with the sun shade, pretty common sense.

More common sense, if you use the sun shade you are the same legally as the HP.

The difference is with the Nebula you have the option to fly legally, whereas HP completely voids that opportunity.
Ah ha, now I see. Valid point. How about if I install a small periscope in the top of the HP to see out, would I then be legal :)

Ah ha, now I see. Valid point. How about if I install a small periscope in the top of the HP to see out, would I then be legal :)

Haha beats me. It's not like any of it matters since the FAA has not yet busted anyone, but some people feel comfort in knowing that they're being legal.

Just figured I would throw the info out there. If the HP wasn't so bulky, and was easier to obtain, I would probably test out a pair just to compare.

But I would feel too vulnerable flying in public with a huge box blocking out most of my sensory info and probably wouldn't use it that much. :/

Those are available at alibaba for 330 dollar from china, from photos they look like the typical cheaper china gadget with poor plastics etc.. They are not called nebula at all the chinese shops, i think they are just called videogoggles HD or something like that

My glasses are the 32degree FOV watch for older versions and knock offs that are 26 degree fov and requires a power source note the usb power cable

Hey everyone, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the logistics of using FPV goggles. Can some one explain in a little detail as to how one would use them? So now I have my Tablet hooked up like normal, then you have the goggles hooked up via the new HDMI board, so when you are flying you have to keep removing your goggles, to look at the Tablet? That seems very cumbersome, lot's of times I have to adjust the gimbals tilting horizon. or change exposure. Using goggles is not a toy hobby thing, but has real function, good clarity?

The glasses are a flight aid. the pad is of course is a necessity, I use the glasses probably for 40 to 50% of the flight , In the bright sun light I consider them a must. One of the really nice features is the pertinent telemetry and battery levels are displayed in the glasses along with the camera picture. The numbers are bigger around the edge of the screen than they are on my pad, I like that, they are easily seen. The screen format and content is complicated differently, through the hdmi board than what you see on the pad. Also you can bring up the maps on your pad and you will still have the picture in the glasses. I personally like that. I use them every flight, to me they really add to the overall flight experience. they are very thin, yet the picture appears bigger and wider than they do on the Cinemizers. You do not have to take the glasses off to see the pad you can peer right under them or over them for LOS.

The glasses are a flight aid. the pad is of course is a necessity, I use the glasses probably for 40 to 50% of the flight , In the bright sun light I consider them a must. One of the really nice features is the pertinent telemetry and battery levels are displayed in the glasses along with the camera picture. The numbers are bigger around the edge of the screen than they are on my pad, I like that, they are easily seen. The screen format and content is complicated differently, through the hdmi board than what you see on the pad. Also you can bring up the maps on your pad and you will still have the picture in the glasses. I personally like that. I use them every flight, to me they really add to the overall flight experience. they are very thin, yet the picture appears bigger and wider than they do on the Cinemizers. You do not have to take the glasses off to see the pad you can peer right under them or over them for LOS.
Hi mtn, I wear bifocals. Could I use your vid glasses? I have small lenses with a wire frame. Can you pm me with a link to your glasses? thx b

Sent you a PM, wouldn't mind trying a pair.

Those are available at alibaba for 330 dollar from china, from photos they look like the typical cheaper china gadget with poor plastics etc.. They are not called nebula at all the chinese shops, i think they are just called videogoggles HD or something like that

Hi Daninho
about a week ago I noticed the same thing on aliaba, there are some that I was quoted 25 dollars a pair for even. I sent a note to the manufacture that I buy from and I sent him a link this is the part of our communication relative to that subject:

Andy
This completely kills my international market, that I have been working on establishing, to market the glasses. Please help me with trying to market and be competitive. thanks Joe

That was part of the conversation he was checking, the link and sources that I sent, and he just sent me an Email back this is part of what he said relative to the latest version that I have been waiting on and the links to the cheap glasses, here is what he said:

Hi Joe
We took so much time to improve our video glasses. Thank you for waiting for us so long. For this time, the quality of new lot is so better than previous one. If they sell them at cheapest time, then this is the old mainboard which produced two years ago . They are many lines on the screen.

That was Andy from the manufacturer of Nebulas and my Alien Sunglasses, This is I guess why they are not being marketed as Nebulas, My version is called Nebula "Alien Sunglasses" this is the latest version.

I originally designed a, power supply-wireless hdmi interface for the nebulas, to be used with P2V,+ Worked reasonably well.
This new system is light years better, I have been testing for several weeks and i think they are ready, I am going release a small number and get some feedback
thanks to all of you guys for your interest
Joe

Yes, much less lag and no video stuttering that is the result of the tablet / phone cpu overheating.

I had the chance to fly an Inspire 1 yesterday and even though there was some video break up on the iPad Mini 2 we were using, the HDMI feed was solid. Really important if you're flying longer range FPV.

:harry

ok but when you fly using external HDMI output you do not have the google maps in sight so to see where your are going

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik