New H3-3D Install - Not Level + Flight Test & Notes

Reaction score
Just installed my H3-3D v1.1

Details here: Phantom 2 / H3-3D : Hole and Spacer Mod

1) It's not level on the horizontal and vertical. Here's a diagram and image:

Zenmuse_H3-3D_Not-Level.jpg

Zenmuse_H3-3D_Not-Level_image.jpg

2) I have the same quiet buzzing as everyone else reports.

3) It goes mental when you tip the craft to do a compass cali.

I've installed it perfectly (will write a post soon)...

Any ideas on this, are others experiencing the same un-levelness?

Firmware:
Screen%20Shot%202014-05-14%20at%2013.53.32.png

Update 1:

Played around with the sticks calibration (again) and it seems to have fixed / straighten the top view. Can't seem to get the horizon level. Must be a gimbal calibration bug / error?

Update 2 - Flight Test:

I just went for a flight test, first time using 3.02 as well.

Craft is flying well and the gimbal is working nicely, but definitely have some interference jello going on. I've got a Polar Pro ND coming tmr, no doubt that will sort out this out.

Generally, there is something not quite right about the gimbal. Every time I boot the Phantom the gimbal very slowly twists to the left but eventually seems to settle. On one occasion, in the field, it was doing that weird crazy erratic sideways thing others have reported and I had to reboot the Phantom. Additionally, there is a crazy high pitch noise on the footage. It seems to stop when in the air, I noticed it prior to take off and when I'd landed. Will get some footage up tonight to show this. Weird.

There is also some notable scan lines on my Black Pearl which I didn't have on the 2D. It's not a deal breaker, but it demonstrates there is some interference problems going on and I think that audio noise is something to do with interference too. Just to add, I've got the interference board hooked up inside my P2.

The horizon tilt is annoying, it's slight but you can notice it on footage. Easy enough to correct in post, but the gimbal should be level. I suspect this is a calibration issue as the hardware is fitted true, hopefully a software update will solve this. Interested to see if other have this issue too?

Update 3 - Audio Tone:

Here's the audio tone. I originally thought it was just before / after flying, but it's possibly making this noise all the time and the motors are drowning it out.

https://vimeo.com/95396632 (Password: phantompilots123)

Update 4 - Gimbal balancing:

https://vimeo.com/95428115 (Password: phantompilots123)
New post: How I balanced the Polar Pro ND Filter

Update 5 - Fixed the unlevelled horizon:

Here is the fix: Click here

Re: New H3-3D Install - Not Level + Notes

Welcome to the club! The club of buzzing Zenmuse's..... :|

Re: New H3-3D Install - Not Level + Notes

scooter339 said:
Does the buzz effect the usefulness of the H3-3D?
No not at all, but it's got a weird personality! :geek: see my update above for more details.

Will get a walkthrough of my install mods up asap to add to the mix.

I've updated the post above ^

Still wrestling with horizon tilt. ND filter solved jello issues.
My horizon tilt is not bad when yawing slightly in either direction. You? Also, sometimes slight forward motion in ATTI is better than drifting with no right stick input.
Overall the horizon tilt is unpredictable, at least for me.

The support/service guy at morionrc explained the buzz/whine is common with the 3D. He went into a very complicated scientific explanation of how the "wires" are close together or something. The 2D didn't have this problem because it apparently didn't require so many "wire's.

I gave my Phantom 2 a test flight to see if the 'buzzing' is effecting the gimble. I have to say not one bit. It just seems perfect in flight. This is after i added spacers which i believe improved the buzzing a lot, well for me anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLJ-QOU ... e=youtu.be

scooter339 said:
Marconi - you say you're putting on a Polar Pro ND filter. Can the 3D handle the weight?

When I put a Polar Pro polarizer on my 2D, it burned up.
You have to counterbalance the gimbal as others have documented in this 3D forum. All say it's fine.

I've just counterbalanced mine and am going for some test runs shortly. I'll document the results and how I got it balanced (using coins).

So how exactly do you counterbalance the H3-3D, how mush wight and where on the Gimbal.

I would love to use my Polarizer.

I'm sorry I missed all these posts, I'm hoping you can enlighten me.

GREAT write up. I am having the same issue! I am wondering if I should return the H3-3D (as my dealer said they would and switch it out. But if its software it wouldn't matter.

Anyone with 3.02 not experiencing this is what I want to know!

scooter339 said:
So how exactly do you counterbalance the H3-3D, how mush wight and where on the Gimbal.

I would love to use my Polarizer.

I'm sorry I missed all these posts, I'm hoping you can enlighten me.
Check this post (point 12): viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15152

Just updated the post again...

Here's the audio tone. I originally thought it was just before / after flying, but it's possibly making this noise all the time and the motors are drowning it out.

Jaybee said:

Wow! Mine is NOT doing that! Makes me wonder if that is another issue in and of itself.

lightingbryan said:
Jaybee said:

Wow! Mine is NOT doing that! Makes me wonder if that is another issue in and of itself.
Crazy init! Just doing some testing;

• Happens with or without the IRC600 plugged up
• Only happens when the USB from the gimbal is plugged into the GoPro.

Now gonna open her up and bypass the interference board...

lightingbryan said:
Jaybee said:

Sounds like Rolf Harris is playing his Stylophone inside it?

Jaybee said:

Still happens if I bypass the interference board.

Interestingly, after the gimbal dance the gimbal slowly turns to the left, but with the interference board bypassed - it turns to the right.

I also tried bypassing the iOSD Mini Can Bus, no difference

My conclusion is it's the gimbal causing the noise.

Thanks to the advice from shartlza in this post, I've nailed the unlevelled horizon issue...

I used a spirit level to check the table I did an advanced IMU cali. on yesterday, it was off. Found a perfectly level surface and ran the IMU cali. again and it's solved the issue.

Lesson learned. Always have a spirit level handy in your flight hanger!

Jaybee said:
Jaybee said:

Still happens if I bypass the interference board.

Interestingly, after the gimbal dance the gimbal slowly turns to the left, but with the interference board bypassed - it turns to the right.

I also tried bypassing the iOSD Mini Can Bus, no difference

My conclusion is it's the gimbal causing the noise.

This assumption could be incorrect as I have had it go either way without changing ANYTHING! I just turned off and on the heli multi times and noticed that it could go either way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1