New guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Just wanted to say hello. I ordered my FC40 today but have zero experience flying anything like this really, other than flying my kids $25 helicopter in the house. I was down at the beach yesterday and saw a guy flying one of these (not sure what model) and decided I wanted one. Been wanting something like this for a while, but thought the price would be out of my range until I saw this one.

I've been watching a lot of videos on how to set it up, and reading a bunch on these forums. There's a lot of good info here and I've a lot more reading to do still. The 4000 mah battery sounds intruiging, but wont be ready to file anything down until I'm more comfortable with it.

If there's links to anything you feel is pertinent for a noobie, I'd appreciate it. I should have my FC40 on Thursday and will get it charged, firmware upgraded if it needs it, turn on fail safe etc. then take it for a spin in the back yard to get used to it.

-T

It looks like you have done your homework.

Remember:
Turn on transmitter first (always).
Then put battery in Phantom...(make sure battery door closes securely).
Make sure both S1 and S2 switches on transmitter are in all the way up position.
Watch the LED's on the phantom. When they are flashing only green, no red flashes, start the motors.
Once motors are spun up push the throttle up. Dont be afraid to give it some gas. The more throttle you give it the better it rises.
As soon as it gets up to 15 or so feet, let go of the throttle and let it hover.

Once its hovering, then you are ready to start flying it around. Take it easy at first and learn the controls.
Most of all...have fun!!

BTW, I wouldnt worry about checking firmware or failsafe or any of that until you have a few flights under your belt.

Follow instructions and use common sense. Resist the temptation to skimp through the familiarization process learn the little details. You will be just fine.

Thanks guys. Still reading up on it as much as possible. I'm one of the types to go through the manual, especially while I'm eagerly waiting on the delivery.

thoffland said:
Thanks guys. Still reading up on it as much as possible. I'm one of the types to go through the manual, especially while I'm eagerly waiting on the delivery.
Some advice. The manual stinks. You won't get much clear in your mind by reading the manual (most of us havent) it is very poorly written and does a shockingly terrible job of explaining anything. These forums are the best place to gather pre-ownership info. We're here for ya though! :)

Thanks Mikey. I'm also watching the youtube vids on calibration, ioc, and gps/atti modes, and a bunch of "first flight" videos.

What I really want to find though is what I should do after I take it out of the box and put it together. If I need to connect it to the computer and get any updates, change settings etc. I know dtviewer said not to worry about failsafe and firmware, but is there anything else I should be concerned with?

thoffland said:
Thanks Mikey. I'm also watching the youtube vids on calibration, ioc, and gps/atti modes, and a bunch of "first flight" videos.

What I really want to find though is what I should do after I take it out of the box and put it together. If I need to connect it to the computer and get any updates, change settings etc. I know dtviewer said not to worry about failsafe and firmware, but is there anything else I should be concerned with?
I know what dtviewer is getting at, as the software could overwhelm some. My only concern with not plugging it in to the comp is that out of box the S1 and S2 switches are not set to what a lot of the DJI youtube stuff says... I know for mine I had to set these in the software to make sense. not sure what benefits the firmware updates bring, but I don't see the harm in doing these if you are computer savy.

I'm pretty good with computers, and I found a vid last night that explained the firmware upgrade process as well as re-calibrating the TX so that boosts the confidence a little too.

Now I'm looking at ordering some 2700MAH batteries, and P2 props. :) Thursday can't come soon enough.

I have a couple more questions.

1) I've noticed in a lot of videos that when the drone is descending the video gets shakey. Is that normal? Or can it be cured by slowing the descent or better piloting skills?

2) Is there a page that would have links to recommended upgrade items like batteries/props etc?

I should have my FC40 tomorrow!!

Hobby king 4000mah ,maddog 2800mah, for props I like the 9450 booster props, they should hit the US . This week check HD for them, best prop I've tried so far less chance of VRS very stable and fast get um before they go out of stock :D

Use prop guards, have extra props on hand as well as extra guards, get a $2 battery tester/alarm from China off eBay and use it while flying, don't even play with manual mode until you've got a lot of experience.

Thanks!

A battery tester is something i definitely want to get. And I will look into the props and batteries too. I have 4 phantom 2200's now, so that will hold me off for a bit, but wish I had a multi charger now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.