New guy with a PC trying to edit MOV files.... help

Reaction score
Downloaded the Resolve program, its confusing, have not figured it out yet, plus it must be an intense program, really lags my computer... Are there any other free, or very inexpensive options? I guess Im ok buying a video editing program, never had to before the phantom, but Id like to be able to use the videos.

Ive been using windows movie maker for many years and like its simplicity, anything similar for a PC?

so interesting, my other computer with windows movie maker will import the vids and edit them, but another computer will not with the same program, odd..

Downloaded the Resolve program, its confusing, have not figured it out yet, plus it must be an intense program, really lags my computer... Are there any other free, or very inexpensive options? I guess Im ok buying a video editing program, never had to before the phantom, but Id like to be able to use the videos.

Ive been using windows movie maker for many years and like its simplicity, anything similar for a PC?

You could sign up for a free trial of Adobe Premier Elements and see how you like it. It may not be what you call affordable - but it's incredibly powerful.

I think they want $20/month just for one piece of software or $49/ month for everything they make - including LightRoom and Photoshop. It's a great deal *IF* you're actually going to use at least 3 or 4 of their apps on a regular basis. I'm subscribed to their "CreativeCloud" service which consists of PhtoShop and Lightroom and is only $10/month. I'm using iMovie for video editing and love it for basic stuff. When I find time, I plan to activate the Adobe free trial of Premiere Elements but I want to make sur I actually have enough fee time during the 10-days to actually spend some them with it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Noticed something interesting, at home I have a windows10 PC, WMM works great, with MOV and MP4, at work I have a PC on Win7, using WMM, it wont open either file... Anyone know of a way to fix that?

Noticed something interesting, at home I have a windows10 PC, WMM works great, with MOV and MP4, at work I have a PC on Win7, using WMM, it wont open either file... Anyone know of a way to fix that?

You must be missing the codecs needed. You could search for a Codec pack applicable to your OS. Installing QuickTime or VLC Player *might* install the Codecs you need. In the lack of any more specific advice, it might be worth a shot....

FWIW, DaVinci Resolve is a professional tool that started out just doing color grading and has added non-linear editing over time. The learning curve can be painfully steep and it won't walk you through something even as fundamental as how to get a video clip into your timeline. However, when you run into the limitations of the consumer video editors like Windows Movie Maker, it's nice to know a pro-level tool is available for free.

Next thing you know you'll be in here asking about D-Log footage and LUTs (somewhat analagous to shooting RAW vs JPG).

You could sign up for a free trial of Adobe Premier Elements and see how you like it. It may not be what you call affordable - but it's incredibly powerful.

I think they want $20/month just for one piece of software…

I think you're referring to Premiere Pro which is part of Creative Cloud and is $20/month. Premiere Elements is normally $100 but it's currently on sale for $60. That's a one-time purchase, not a monthly fee.

I agree with the recommendation to get the trial version of Premiere Elements. If you find it fits your needs, the sale price looks to be good through September 5 so you have a week to decide.

I think you're referring to Premiere Pro which is part of Creative Cloud and is $20/month. Premiere Elements is normally $100 but it's currently on sale for $60. That's a one-time purchase, not a monthly fee.

I agree with the recommendation to get the trial version of Premiere Elements. If you find it fits your needs, the sale price looks to be good through September 5 so you have a week to decide.

You're probably right - but when I signed up for the $10 package, I saw another package for $49 US/month that looked like it included absolutely everything that Adobe makes - including Premiere Pro, Elements, After Effects and a bunch of other things

I downloaded Filmora , and seems to be easy to use and understand, u can try that [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935T using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07

I experienced the same issue, I discovered Handbrake which is free to download and use. It allows me to compress video and also convert them from MOV to MP4 and still control the quality. I recommend watching some of the quick tutorials on YouTube to learn how to use.

go with premiere elements, there are plenty of tutorials online.

Then if you like it, you can decide to upgrade to pro that, you know, it's very good!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik