New Guy - need help with tipping over

Reaction score
Hello guys! I just recently bought a phantom vision 2, with real nice case and all. The first time I flew it it was great and everything ran real smooth. The second time I flew it it flew very well just like it should. But, I just tried flying it (after successfully calibrating it, I think), all batteries are fully charged and everything was set to fly, but when I lifted the left throttle on the controller up, the drone sort of tipped back toward me as I gave it throttle, then tipped over and the propellers started hitting the grass and messing the grass up. The two back propellers broke, but everything else seemed to be perfectly fine. So I put new propellers on, took it back out and tried again, gave it throttle to go STRAIGHT UP like it did the first time I flew it, but instead the drone wants to sort of tilt back a little instead of going straight up. (Look at attached picture to see what position the drone is tilting when throttle is applied) anyway, so the PHANTOM is kind of tilting back while I am giving it throttle and this time I throttle up a little faster and it finally gets off the ground and I'm in the air, but it looks like the right leg is vibrating a little more than it should and the drone STILL will not fly STRAIGHT UP when commanded too (when I command the phantom to go UP, the drone flys backward (the tilt I'm talking about) just a little)... As soon as it got in the air I noticed it wasn't flying right and landed it immediately. I am frustrated and want to figure out why it isn't flying properly. Did I not calibrate it properly? ... The drone seems like it is very wobly in the air and DOES NOT stay in one position,like It did perfectly the first couple times I flew it, which makes it real hard to control. Both S1 and S2 switch on the controller and both in the up position and in the correct position, I think. Maybe I am missing something real simple ( i sure hope) . Anyone have any ideas for the new guy? Should I try to take it to a hobby shop?

***oh, and I have the propeller guards, but the phantom seems to fly weird (wobble more in the air) when the guards are on***
Thanks so much and great forum! Cheers from Ohio

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 985
Get it on a level, vibration free surface and calibrate using the Phantom software. Do a compass dance. Before you do either of these what version of the software are you using? - make a note then go and read about version 2 and 3 and the impact it has on flying BEFORE you upgrade anything (assuming you chose to do so). Essentially limitied flying heights, areas and so on.

You have to give it lots of throttle on take off otherwise it will tip, personally I just give it fully throttle and pop it up 2 or 3 meteres, hover, then check all controls are responding before flying off... :idea:

Yeah, I second that.
You have to give it plenty of throttle and get it in the air then reduce throttle.
I always give it a bit of forward stick just in case it flies into me.
Make sure it is hovering correctly then fly.

The only time my Phantom ever took off with half throttle was when I had nothing on it (no prop guards, gimbal, gopro). Now that I've added these accessories I need full throttle to properly lift off. The moment it's the ground I pull back a bit to level it out.

Thanks for the full throttle advise. BUT, as soon as it gets into the air, it will start to like drift off to the side a little (making it hard as hell to control). So all in all, the "hover" feature is not working like it should. And the version I have on the phantom vision is the one before any of the limits and bullsh*t we're added. (So the update before the 3/26/14 update, don't know exact number because drone is not with me currently)

Still though, even when it's in the air, when I give it more throttle to rise the drone, the drone does NOT fly straight up like it should, it sort of moves backward a little, then goes up (all really quick but is still noticeable and is not correct) I hope that the calibration is the issue, but i personally think it's something vibrating or the propellers or the motor that is messing with it flying...let me know if y'all have any ideas! Because there really isn't a hobby shop around.

**I have not calibrated it yet like the guys above mentioned!**

Thanks again guys,any tips for a new guy would be appreciated too!

Yeah Full Throttle to get up in the air about head height then let it hover , make sure you have p1 & p2 in the up position before u take off wait till lights blink green for gps lock that makes the Phantom hover in one spot .

When you removed the prop guards, did you put the original SHORT screws back in? Or the longer screws that came with the prop guards?

The longer screws can damage motors if put in without the prop guards on. Not sure if that could be your problem.

When i took off the prop guards, i never put any screws back in.... are there suppose to be screws in the prop guard spots even if the prop guards are not in?

Yes, the 4 bolts hold the motor in don't they? no wonder its not flying right if you are missing two bolts on each motor. But you need the original shorter ones not the ones used with the guards - these will damage the motor. Who put the guards on?

DJI vid of whole process of putting propguards on, including removal of two bolts on each leg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trAmfdVkWKo

Not sure where you are but if US - http://www.helipal.com/phantom-21-dji-p ... 6svs4gkic6 for screw pack. Take another one out and compare to screws in pack.

Get those longer screws well away from the phantom unless installing the guards and remember about the length thing if you take them off. Good luck..

I put the prop guards on....they are short hex screws with blue stuff of the threads... I took the prop guards off because they do not fit in the case I have for the phantom. Here is a pic of what it looks like now.... Should there be screws in these holes? (Look at pic, scroll down in the pic) but when I bought the phantom, there were no screws in these holes I don't think....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 866
Nsrwholesale said:
Should there be screws in these holes? but when I bought the phantom, there were no screws in these holes I don't think....

Yes, those are 2 of the 4 screws that hold you motor on to each arm. There were screws in there before you used the prop guard screws to attach them. Do not use the prop guard screws in them now as they're too long without the prop guards, and will damage your motors...you'll need to find (or buy) the original screws to use in there.

Yup missing two screws. Should have come with four. Are you SURE you didn't remove them when you fitted the guards? Go have a hunt around.

Edited my last post, has a link to screw pack $5 if you are from US.

Do NOT, repeat DO NOT put the screws you used for the prop guards in those holes without prop guards in place. The prop guard screws are longer than the original screws and if you put the longer screws in those holes you will drive those screws into the motors and RUIN the motors.

Did you buy this Phantom used? New, there would be screws in those holes supporting the motors.

I think he's furiously hunting for them :mrgreen: 50/50 i reckon whether he finds them... place ur bets pls.

MrC said:
I think he's furiously hunting for them :mrgreen: 50/50 i reckon whether he finds them... place ur bets pls.
AANNNDDDDD DRUM ROLL PLEASEEEE... I FOULD THE ORIGINAL SHORT SCREWS IN THE CASE!! I put the original screws in the phantom, BUT have to wait for new propellers to come in the mail before I can fly it!

Hopefully the screws were the problem for the drone flying weird.
Oh and FYI, I have never put the long screws in without prop guards SO WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO!

Thanks

Nsrwholesale said:
MrC said:
AANNNDDDDD DRUM ROLL PLEASEEEE... I FOULD THE ORIGINAL SHORT SCREWS IN THE CASE!! I put the original screws in the phantom, BUT have to wait for new propellers to come in the mail before I can fly it!

Hopefully the screws were the problem for the drone flying weird.
Oh and FYI, I have never put the long screws in without prop guards SO WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO!

Thanks
Ufda..Glad you found the right screws! I'm a newbie as well and I tipped mine when trying to take off as well (high five to DJI prop guards,no damage) so aborted yesterday to be sure all was updated/calibrated properly, don't feel bad.
I went out today and tried again and...you guessed it, it tipped again so I figured I'd just go for broke (not literally thankfully) and goosed it which popped it right up. My guess is at some point in the spin up process two of the motors are dominant or it was due to being on grass and it having an effect on the air creating lift.
I wonder if it acts differently on a hard surface?

twodips said:
Nsrwholesale said:
I went out today and tried again and...you guessed it, it tipped again so I figured I'd just go for broke (not literally thankfully) and goosed it which popped it right up.

So you gave it full throttle and it popped right up? Did that fix your problem with tipping?

AND I will let you guys know how it all works out when I get the new propellers in the mail.

Also thought I would just throw this out there....I want to use this to add to my Real Estate Arial Photography Company...any ideas or anyone point me in right direction?

Thanks

If you loose motor screws, never fly with only two adjacent screws.
If you are forced to fly with only two screws holding a motor in place, move one to the diagonal, opposite the other one, and make sure both are TIGHT!

Regarding your Phantom tilting on launch...

Make sure you wait at LEAST 10 seconds after the all clear to go Green flashes without any Red flashes to ensure you have 6+ satellites (the longer, the more satellites, the better), and MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN GPS MODE for liftoff.
I see too many guyes place their Phantom facing into wind, then standing behind the pahntom (downwind), launching in ATTI mode and not GPS ATTI. The Phantom will drift backwards and if the legs are dragging across the ground, it will tilt over.
Its a good reason to keep the prop-guards on until you have mastered the kift-off technique... see below.

As you add weight to your Phantom, you need to increase the attitude gains to compensate for the extra inertia.
Mine are at 250% and flying perfectly with gimbal, gopro, VTX, iOSD, propguards, LED striplights, LED headlight, Low battery Audio alarm, and a few extras.

Even if you fail to do this, it should not tip over. Perhaps you are trying to lift-off too slowly...

Instead, you should punch it up off the ground for the first two or three feet, then return throttle to hover or a gentle climb.

Once my left stick is centered with the motors running, I apply just a touch of up throttle, wait for the RPM to increase, then I punch it up hard for a moment (almost full power), then immediately ease off to hover or a gentle climb.

Works perfectly every time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20