New Guy Intro

Reaction score
HI guys,
I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Tom and live in Northern VA, I'm 36 and i just ordered a Phantom 3 Pro as my first drone. I own a construction business and I'm justifying the purchase as a good way to take before and after pics.... But, I'm pretty sure it's gonna make a great hobby too..
I haven't been this excited about a purchase in quite a while and i probably went overboard, but I guess it will save me from having to add accessories later..lol
I picked up:

Phantom 3 Pro - with extra batt
A 3rd Battery
Battery charging Hub
HDMI module (not really sure if i need this)
64gb Card
Lens ND8
Lens ND16
Inspire tablet mount
DJI remote strap
Tablet Shade Hood
8 Carbon Props
Prop Guards
Nunuk 950 Hard Case

I also ordered a Nvidia Shield tablet along with this order when i placed it, but then today after some more reading, i went ahead and added a 64gb Ipad Air 2 with cellular to my verizon plan. I'm hoping I made the right choice here since it's my first apple product but apparently it's a solid performer for this use.
It's all supposed to be here tomorrow and i'm like a kid at Xmas...lol I really may not sleep tonight. I have been up late for the last few nights watching youtube videos and reading the forums because I get a little obsessed when it comes to new stuff..

I look forward to being a part of the boards and i'm sure I'll learn a lot on here.. Anyone with advise for a total beginner, please share!
Couple quick questions
1. Is there anything special I need to know concerning the dji app and the newest ios system that will be on the ipad when i get it? Any special tips for making all the firmware updates and so on as painless as possible?

2.. The HDMI module, I'm not sure i need this and i may return it.. After some thought, i cant think of a situation where i would need to plug the controller into a larger monitor.. I can use the hmdi on my PC to view the videos on my TV. Is there anything else this part is useful for?

3. I'm in VA and it's starting to get cold around here.. What should i keep in mind if i want to get some flight time in when it's cold out? what's considered too cold?

Thanks guys... Safe flying!

Is there anything special I need to know concerning the dji app and the newest ios system that will be on the ipad when i get it?
In general, Apple devices work best when running with these settings.

Any special tips for making all the firmware updates and so on as painless as possible?
Follow these instructions exactly to update your firmware (if needed). The DJI GO app will display a message if your firmware needs to be updated.

Is there anything else this part is useful for?
Other than displaying the video on an external monitor, the HDMI module can also be used with FPV glasses -- like those listed here. For what you'll be doing, I don't think you'll need FPV glasses. Most people do not use them.

What should i keep in mind if i want to get some flight time in when it's cold out?
Make sure you monitor your battery voltage and take an easy on the sticks to prevent large voltage spikes (meaning don't fly aggressively). Batteries can handle colder temperatures, but they don't perform as well and will not hold their charge for as long.

what's considered too cold?
When your fingers can no longer handle it :)

Reactions: BenDover
Wow you jumped right in big time didnt you? Welcome sir.

You made some good decisions with accessories and it shows you've been doing some online reading. It's all the frequently recommended stuff.

The only question is... what part of NOVA? You better read up where you can even fly and where your Phantom will not even take off. No FLY Zones | DJI

1. For firmware, the PDF document on DJI download page is best. It clearly outlines all the steps. If you run into any issues, you can check forums/youtube.

2. If your App crashes, everything disappears. But if you have HDMI module that is plugged into another monitor or goggles, that image and basic onscreen statistics will still work. Both your tablets are pretty good in this respect, but this would be a decent benefit for people flying other tablets that have more crashing issues.

Additionally, tablets suck in Sunshine. A good monitor that is made for outside is many times better and easier to see. My $150 monitor is much easier to see than my Galaxy Tab Pro. The screen looks gorgeous inside - but becomes painful to see outside.

Overall, I'm not sure how people are using HDMI board. I suspect most people use it for goggles... I think this is the most common use.

3. Temperature specs are in the manual. Be careful not to leave your batteries in extreme cold or extreme hot for extended periods of time. For Virginia weather, you probably won't notice anything, not even reduced flight time. Maybe if you go flying on a really cold and windy day - less than 20F - you will get shorter flight times. Pay attention to the app and land immediately if the App tells you the battery temperature is too low.

Reactions: Jedidroner
You made some good decisions with accessories and it shows you've been doing some online reading. It's all the frequently recommended stuff.

The only question is... what part of NOVA? You better read up where you can even fly and where your Phantom will not even take off. No FLY Zones | DJI

1. For firmware, the PDF document on DJI download page is best. It clearly outlines all the steps. If you run into any issues, you can check forums/youtube.

2. If your App crashes, everything disappears. But if you have HDMI module that is plugged into another monitor or goggles, that image and basic onscreen statistics will still work. Both your tablets are pretty good in this respect, but this would be a decent benefit for people flying other tablets that have more crashing issues.

Additionally, tablets suck in Sunshine. A good monitor that is made for outside is many times better and easier to see. My $150 monitor is much easier to see than my Galaxy Tab Pro. The screen looks gorgeous inside - but becomes painful to see outside.

Overall, I'm not sure how people are using HDMI board. I suspect most people use it for goggles... I think this is the most common use.

3. Temperature specs are in the manual. Be careful not to leave your batteries in extreme cold or extreme hot for extended periods of time. For Virginia weather, you probably won't notice anything, not even reduced flight time. Maybe if you go flying on a really cold and windy day - less than 20F - you will get shorter flight times. Pay attention to the app and land immediately if the App tells you the battery temperature is too low.

Thanks for the no fly zone link.. If you look to the west of them until you see Gainesville along I-66, that's where i live. Although there are some really cool things to check out over in DC, I had pretty much assumed that would be a no-no... I will keep things out west of me for the most part, and I would like to do some on the water from my boat, but not until i'm really well versed in running this thing..
Also, if using a small HDMI monitor on the controller, there would be an obvious lack of app or gps, but what information is communicated directly from the copter other than just a pic. Does any flight info still show up? I'm hoping the new anti glare feature on the Air 2 will keep things manageable.
Speaking of which, I purchased the tab hood from DJI, will that cover the Air 2 or will i have to find another one?

thanks

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum JD. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Enjoy your new quad! :)

I purchased the tab hood from DJI, will that cover the Air 2 or will i have to find another one?
It won't work. Anything larger than about an iPad Mini will not fit.

Thanks for the no fly zone link.. If you look to the west of them until you see Gainesville along I-66, that's where i live. Although there are some really cool things to check out over in DC, I had pretty much assumed that would be a no-no... I will keep things out west of me for the most part, and I would like to do some on the water from my boat, but not until i'm really well versed in running this thing..
Also, if using a small HDMI monitor on the controller, there would be an obvious lack of app or gps, but what information is communicated directly from the copter other than just a pic. Does any flight info still show up? I'm hoping the new anti glare feature on the Air 2 will keep things manageable.
Speaking of which, I purchased the tab hood from DJI, will that cover the Air 2 or will i have to find another one?

thanks

Ah, Gainsville... I wonder if Sheetz is still the meeting spot for sportbikes.

With HDMI board, you will see a lot of stats. These include: speed, height, distance, GPS signal, radio signal, battery power %, the flight status/ready to fly bar, and a few other things... You will also see a little diamond on the screen that will show on the screen the direction where you are. (so you can easily fly back to yourself, even if the surroundings are disorienting.)

With sun hoods, the deeper the better. It's really a qualitative opinion. Some people don't even use any sunhoods at all... and fly on tiny smartphone screens...

Buy a little drone at toys r us and get a little practice , just in case you lose gps on a flight. You will actually know how to fly a drone.

Not a bad idea... I was planning on spending some time on the flight simulator before going out, although I'm sure the feeling is a bit different than actually LOS flying.

Beautiful country out there. I do feel you with the Nofly. Im In Md on the edge of the TFR. Your not missing much since the last 3 days has been nothing but rain. Start slow and have fun. If you need local help, Pm me and I can give you some local info. Congrats

Reactions: Jedidroner
Beautiful country out there. I do feel you with the Nofly. Im In Md on the edge of the TFR. Your not missing much since the last 3 days has been nothing but rain. Start slow and have fun. If you need local help, Pm me and I can give you some local info. Congrats

I appreciate it..will do.

HI guys,
I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Tom and live in Northern VA, I'm 36 and i just ordered a Phantom 3 Pro as my first drone. I own a construction business and I'm justifying the purchase as a good way to take before and after pics.... But, I'm pretty sure it's gonna make a great hobby too..
I haven't been this excited about a purchase in quite a while and i probably went overboard, but I guess it will save me from having to add accessories later..lol
I picked up:

A 3rd Battery
Battery charging Hub
64gb Card
Lens ND8
Lens ND16
Inspire tablet mount
DJI remote strap
Tablet Shade Hood
8 Carbon Props
Prop Guards
Nunuk 950 Hard Case

I also ordered a Nvidia Shield tablet along with this order when i placed it, but then today after some more reading, i went ahead and added a 64gb Ipad Air 2 with cellular to my verizon plan. I'm hoping I made the right choice here since it's my first apple product but apparently it's a solid performer for this use.
It's all supposed to be here tomorrow and i'm like a kid at Xmas...lol I really may not sleep tonight. I have been up late for the last few nights watching youtube videos and reading the forums because I get a little obsessed when it comes to new stuff..

I look forward to being a part of the boards and i'm sure I'll learn a lot on here.. Anyone with advise for a total beginner, please share!
Couple quick questions
1. Is there anything special I need to know concerning the dji app and the newest ios system that will be on the ipad when i get it? Any special tips for making all the firmware updates and so on as painless as possible?

2.. The HDMI module, I'm not sure i need this and i may return it.. After some thought, i cant think of a situation where i would need to plug the controller into a larger monitor.. I can use the hmdi on my PC to view the videos on my TV. Is there anything else this part is useful for?

3. I'm in VA and it's starting to get cold around here.. What should i keep in mind if i want to get some flight time in when it's cold out? what's considered too cold?

Welcome! You can easily do without the carbon fiber props although they look cool the performance difference is negligible as compared to the stock props. The HDMI module might come in handy if you ever want to connect FPV googles when out in the field. Props Guards seem like a waste to me but everybody has different needs and tastes. Keep your batteries warm, like in your jacket pocket when out in the field. LIPOS don't work as well when they're cold. As for your iPad: Close any unwanted apps that are running in the background and put it on "airplane mode" when flying. I've personally found that this interferes less with the video feed.

WTF? You took the words right out of my mouth.
We Don' Need no stinking Prop Guards.
Carbon Fiber blades are dangerous at best, and being redesigned as we speak. There have been a number of reported accindents and crashes due to them disintegrating from high rotor speeds & coming apart mid flight. Be forwarded, inspect them very carefully before and after every flight. Good luck with that.
Ah yes, an iPad Air 2 Cellular, there you go. ;-)
Way to be, you made a wise choice. A good buy, good bye blues, yes.

"Go" have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker

HI guys,
I picked up:

A 3rd Battery
Battery charging Hub
64gb Card
Lens ND8
Lens ND16
Inspire tablet mount
DJI remote strap
Tablet Shade Hood
8 Carbon Props
Prop Guards
Nunuk 950 Hard Case

Couple quick questions

Got some more for you... Go easy on the calibrations. You do not have to calibrate before every flight but only when you've significantly changed your environment or have traveled several miles. Learn to fly in ATTI mode. Practice it... don't be surprised if you ever get a compass error and your flight mode changes to ATTI.

Video or it didn't happen!!

Welcome and try to get some sleep tonight................... tomorrow is like Christmas!!!

With the HDMI you are now open to a bigger tablet to look at like the new Samsung 110" TV that easily fits on a truck rack like yours :) hehe

WTF? You took the words right out of my mouth.
We Don' Need no stinking Prop Guards.
Carbon Fiber blades are dangerous at best, and being redesigned as we speak. There have been a number of reported accindents and crashes due to them disintegrating from high rotor speeds & coming apart mid flight. Be forwarded, inspect them very carefully before and after every flight. Good luck with that.
Ah yes, an iPad Air 2 Cellular, there you go. ;-)
Way to be, you made a wise choice. A good buy, good bye blues, yes.

"Go" have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker

These are the props straight from DJI
Buy 9450 Carbon Fiber Reinforced Self-tightening Propellers (Composite Hub, Black with White Stripes) | DJI Store

Are these a concern as well, or just some of the aftermarket ones I see floating around? i assumed they would be tested safe when coming from the manufacturer..
thanks

Welcome to the community Jedi, may the Schwartz be with ya.
You made some solid accessory choices, if not a tad overkill. :)
I'm sure you'll be making some solid contributions here in no time. This forum is definitely part of the fun...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20