New guy here

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a hello to all the members. I'm totally new to RC and for that reason, chose a DJI FC40. So far, I like it a lot but I'm a little concerned that I'm experiencing frequent fly-aways. I keep the drone close by just for that reason. I live in a VERY remote area of central Delaware and have only flown it on my own property. Front yard is about 3 acres and surrounded by trees on three sides. Anyway, flights always start out fine but sometimes end in crashes. My last one, I had the drone hovering about 8ft above the ground. Was hanging there perfectly for about 30 seconds when it suddenly pitched right and flew off in the tree line. This is kind of more the norm than the exception. I'll be hovering and trying very small control inputs to gauge reaction and it all of a sudden takes off on it's own. I've updated the firmware/software and performed the calibration procedure, all of which didn't seem to help at all. My last flight was really strange, was testing the return home feature with the drone about 100ft away. It was a few feet off the ground and when I turned off the transmitter, the drone immediately climbed to approx. 50ft or so and moved back to where it had lifted off. I was very impressed at first but once it hovered for a couple seconds over the home spot, it pitched and dove into to tree line instead of landing.
Any thoughts??

Welcome to the forum Termin8! Not sure what the problem could be with your phantom, but I'd probably start by checking your props for any damage, and take a look at your connections on the inside to make sure all the solder points are good. It kinda sounds like you might have a bad connection to one of your motors if it keeps losing power on one side, or it could be a bad motor as well. Have you been in any crashes before this started happening?

Welcome to the site. Not sure what is going on but like Kitari said, need to check all connections, If it new, I would contact support where you purchased it or through DJI as this in not the norm.

Welcome. What were the status lights at the back doing when it dived off? Color, flashing fequency?

Thanks for the quick reply guys!
I got the drone for Christmas and the thing has been behaving like this from the very beginning. I've only flown it maybe 5 times so far but out of the times I've flown it, I've only managed to get a couple clean take-offs and landings. All others end in a crash, be they a few seconds, or 5-10 minutes.
The status light was green the last time it flew off on it's own, and one time before that, I noticed an amber light just before it went nuts. One time, it started blinking red but I assumed that was a low battery since I had been flying for a good 10-15 minutes.
As soon as the weather breaks, I intend to try a flight in another location just to rule out electrical interference.

Was it blinking red and green or just red?

The time when I saw the blinking red light, it crashed immediately.

I would try to get it replaced. Also get some video footage of it when it does its wild thing. You'll need it to back up your request for a replacement/repair.

Welcome to the forum!

Where did you buy it from? If Amazon, then just return it.

Just a hint and I do not want to hurt your feelings. But, all posts are easier to read if you would break it i up into smaller paragraphs.

Glad to have you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic