New Guy Here

Reaction score
Hello all... New guy here.... just wanted to pop in and say hi..
I have been looking at DJI Phantom for a while, as I am new to the scene, I have a buddy that is looking to get rid of one of his setups.

What do you guys suggest for a "newb"

He has a dji phantom 2 version 1 with a zenmuse h3-2d gimbal... He is asking $600...

Wanted to get your thoughts etc..

Thanks guys !!

No comment on your quad question, but Welcome to Phantom pilots. :D

Happyflyer said:

Hey nothing wrong with opinions... would love to hear it... or suggestions etc.....

Please do :)

Thank you sir

"Buyer beware." Especially with used equipment. Do find out if the Phantom has ever crashed. If so, how often? What kind of damage? Problems afterward? Problems at all?
Welcome to the forum.

Great Pumpkin said:
"Buyer beware." Especially with used equipment. Do find out if the Phantom has ever crashed. If so, how often? What kind of damage? Problems afterward? Problems at all?
Welcome to the forum.

He has two of them, and he said its been used 5 times or so...

chess said:
Happyflyer said:

Hey nothing wrong with opinions... would love to hear it... or suggestions etc.....

Thank you sir
I never was very good at calculating what something should cost used. So, I don't comment on something I don't know about. Would never want to put out bad information.

Great Pumpkin said:
Crashes? Used 5 times - he could have had a crash after each one. Find out!

Well I hate to assume it was crashed 5 times... lol, but he said he has used it 5 times, has never been crashed.....

Happyflyer said:
chess said:
Happyflyer said:

Thank you sir
I never was very good at calculating what something should cost used. So, I don't comment on something I don't know about. Would never want to put out bad information.

Totally understood....

How about I put this spin on it :) If you were to buy one and you were just starting out.... What would you buy... that may be a better question... :)

chess said:
....How about I put this spin on it :) If you were to buy one and you were just starting out.... What would you buy... that may be a better question... :)
I would buy a new P2V and a rotorpixel gimbal for it. This is my current set up and it takes great steady videos. The P2V+ gimbal has been reported as very delicate and almost always breaks in a crash. VERY expensive to replace. But, then again, don't crash and you will not break anything. Make a misteak or equipement failure and it can happen. I also have many antenna upgrades for l-o-n-g distance. Not really interested in going that far but at least I know if within 5,000 feet I will still have control and FPV.
There are many options out there to consider. It all depends on how many leaves you have on your money tree.
Just be sure you learn ALL about what you do purchase and fly safe.
Oh, and don't forget a tracker.

chess said:
I have been looking at DJI Phantom for a while, as I am new to the scene, I have a buddy that is looking to get rid of one of his setups.

He has a dji phantom 2 version 1 with a zenmuse h3-2d gimbal... He is asking $600...

Thanks guys !!

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know what would be a good buy, but I would try to get him down to $500.

I tried to sell an unflown Phantom 1, with 3 batteries, headlight, blue LED strip that wraps around it and a vibration reducing mount for a Hero 3 - not a gimbal, here in the classifieds. I got down to $345 without a nibble. So, I took it off and decided to keep it!

Speaking of such, you should take a look at the classified section, here. You might find a better bargain. If you would rather have his, copy the page and ask him to match the price!

Again, welcome!

Happyflyer said:
chess said:
....How about I put this spin on it :) If you were to buy one and you were just starting out.... What would you buy... that may be a better question... :)
I would buy a new P2V and a rotorpixel gimbal for it. This is my current set up and it takes great steady videos. The P2V+ gimbal has been reported as very delicate and almost always breaks in a crash. VERY expensive to replace. But, then again, don't crash and you will not break anything. Make a misteak or equipement failure and it can happen. I also have many antenna upgrades for l-o-n-g distance. Not really interested in going that far but at least I know if within 5,000 feet I will still have control and FPV.
There are many options out there to consider. It all depends on how many leaves you have on your money tree.
Just be sure you learn ALL about what you do purchase and fly safe.
Oh, and don't forget a tracker.

When you speak of "antenna upgrades," can you elaborate? Such as a URL?

PhantomFanatic said:
....When you speak of "antenna upgrades," can you elaborate? Such as a URL?
The rattle snake above has it. :lol:

PhantomFanatic said:
.....Many thanks, my friend. Oh, I'll put some snake shot in my 10mm!
Anything like mine?

Attachments

• 10mm.jpg
    10mm.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 265
Welcome aboard.

chess said:

Thanks guys !!
PERSONALLY - I think $600 is a bit on the high end for the original Phantom 2 with the H3-2D gimbal. eBay is your friend when you want to get an idea of the value of used equipment. You can narrow the search results to sold items and see what similar product has sold for in the past 30-days.

Here's some I found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3f42814247

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-PHANTOM...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3cedc0ce1e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/dji-phantom...=100011&prg=11353&rk=8&rkt=10&sd=261686873630

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4a4faa85

The first three are the Phantom 2 Vision selling in the $600 range, and the last one is the Phantom 2 that sold for $465.
Based on what's sold, I would not offer more than $400 to $450 depending on the strength of your friendship and what else is in the package. GoPro? Extra battery?

To answer your second question, I bought the Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal and the GoPro Hero 4 black. I could have bought the Vision but I decided that the P2NV was the better risk-wise because the gimbal is available from lots of online sources and if I wreck the camera I can buy a replacement GoPro at Wal-Mart. (And I simply don't trust WiFi). If you wreck either the gimbal or the camera on the Vision, you have to replace both. My plan includes selling aerial photo/video and I bought the whole FPV kit already assembled. At the end of the checkbook, I have about $2500 invested so far. If you just want to fly for fun, then you can put together a pretty adequate FPV kit for $5-600.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the group.

First off I want to say THANK you so much for everyones words of wisdom etc..... TONS of great information, and Steve, I did take a look at ebay....

I am purchasing a phantom2 from a member on here, and gave it to me at a good price... way less than the $600 my buddy was asking... he wouldnt budge so I said screw it...

My next question is what case do yall suggest ? Do they build one that I can put the gopro in as well for a "all in one" case ? Just curious if anyone knows etc...

Thanks so much for all the help ! Much appreciated !

Happyflyer said:
PhantomFanatic said:
.....Many thanks, my friend. Oh, I'll put some snake shot in my 10mm!
Anything like mine?

Nah, it is a Glock 29. I had a Glock 20 as my home gun, but I sold it as I needed start-up money.

I do love 1911's, with my two favorites being Raptor Kimbers. Although it appears my pet sitter may have stolen them. If I ever go nuts, he is #1 on my list! He stole thousands and totally ransacked my house. But, nothing was engraved or documented. Either via Karma or the next life, he will get his.

Sorry, really OT!

chess said:
First off I want to say THANK you so much for everyones words of wisdom etc..... TONS of great information, and Steve, I did take a look at ebay....

I am purchasing a phantom2 from a member on here, and gave it to me at a good price... way less than the $600 my buddy was asking... he wouldnt budge so I said screw it...

My next question is what case do yall suggest ? Do they build one that I can put the gopro in as well for a "all in one" case ? Just curious if anyone knows etc...

Thanks so much for all the help ! Much appreciated !

I looked at several cases and I found an aluminum case, for $100, on Amazon. (Although I sell there, this is not one of my products.). The foam has been professionally formed for your P2, with rotors on and room for two batteries and tons of room for anything else, including more batteries.

The downside is you can't add a taller landing gear (unless you cut more foam out) nor can you store it with prop guards on. (I found out the hard way with the new landing gear!) Do a search for phantom 2 cases and you should find it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic