New Guy, Already Crashed.....2 days

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First, I would like to say I am excited about joining the DJI family. With that said, I have spent more time researching through youtube and reading forums on a fix. Parts are on order and will be here Wednesday-Thursday.

Long story short, I was flying around about 60' high. I was trying to land and got disoriented and ran straight into a tree which caused mass choas and sent the P3 out into the air upside down crashing onto the roof and then onto the porch roof and finally coming to a rest on the pavement. All the rotors were broken and the battery was thrown out. MY STOMACH ACHED.

I ran over and immediately saw the gimbal was no longer attached but was hanging by one ribbon cable which was partly severed. Looking more into it, the camera appears to be working but the yaw arm is slightly bent. Not sure it it will make a big deal and maybe a calibration will fix, but we have the parts coming to fix it if it doesnt. The hard shell is busted and bent in some places. Putting new rotors on causes it to hit the case in some places. I'm hoping a heat gun will be able to fix but if not, a new shell is coming as well. I took the gimbal off and put the battery back in and got the go ahead to fly. It connected to GPS and would have flown if I had rotors on.

We shall see. I'll try to keep everyone posted .....

Hey everyone,

First, I would like to say I am excited about joining the DJI family. With that said, I have spent more time researching through youtube and reading forums on a fix. Parts are on order and will be here Wednesday-Thursday.

Long story short, I was flying around about 150' high. I was trying to land and got disoriented and ran straight into a tree which caused mass choas and sent the P3 out into the air upside down crashing onto the roof and then onto the porch roof and finally coming to a rest on the pavement. All the rotors were broken and the battery was thrown out. MY STOMACH ACHED.

I ran over and immediately saw the gimbal was no longer attached but was hanging by one ribbon cable which was partly severed. Looking more into it, the camera appears to be working but the yaw arm is slightly bent. Not sure it it will make a big deal and maybe a calibration will fix, but we have the parts coming to fix it if it doesnt. The hard shell is busted and bent in some places. Putting new rotors on causes it to hit the case in some places. I'm hoping a heat gun will be able to fix but if not, a new shell is coming as well. I took the gimbal off and put the battery back in and got the go ahead to fly. It connected to GPS and would have flown if I had rotors on.

We shall see. I'll try to keep everyone posted .....
I would recommend doing the complete repair if you have the parts coming. There are youtube videos showing the complete shell replacement.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
That was my plan. One question tho, motor replacements require to be soldered, correct?

That was my plan. One question tho, motor replacements require to be soldered, correct?
correct, the motor wires solder to the main board-- the esc's are on the main board. Use a heat sink when you desolder and resolder.

Yep sell off any parts that are still good and buy a new one . Then sell what you don't need like the rc , battery ,charger etc . You'll end up spending less and having a new bird without having to do any repairs .

Yep sell off any parts that are still good and buy a new one . Then sell what you don't need like the rc , battery ,charger etc . You'll end up spending less and having a new bird without having to do any repairs .
This.
There are endless threads where people have had a crash in the first few days, replace the *obvious* damage but it still isn't right if it flies at all.
You'll still have a second battery, charger and controller which are worth $500 on their own.

Keep it as a reminder to stay above the things you might hit or sell it.

A few of my friends and coworkers bought quads after seeing mine and I always tell them that in the beginning, always fly in an open field away from any trees wires buildings or any other obstacles until you get a good understanding of the controls and how to maneuver the quad. I tell them that it's very easy to crash them in the beginning.

Thanks guys,

An update tho, got home from work and put a pair of new rotors on. After minor bending of one of the arms, she still flew. She was stable.

One questions, when you say the IMU maybe broken, is that something can be can be replaced or is that part of the gimbal?

I'm hoping because it hit the house roof and not straight to the ground we will have a reduced impacted area.

It didnt fall straight to the ground and slowed it's descent some....HOPING

It's so easy to push the stick the wrong way - get a practice drone like the x5c to get the crashes out of your system.

Reactions: Spartan 6
Also had this blow out...thinking about using a washer to make the space smaller.

Attachments

• IMAG0265.jpg
    IMAG0265.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 591
After opening the case, no obvious damage, board looks good, gps looks good.......transmitter looked good.....waiting on the wires and gimbal part to see......

Thanks guys,

An update tho, got home from work and put a pair of new rotors on. After minor bending of one of the arms, she still flew. She was stable.

One questions, when you say the IMU maybe broken, is that something can be can be replaced or is that part of the gimbal?

An inertial measurement unit (IMU) is an electronic device that measures and reports a craft's velocity, orientation, and gravitational forces, using a combination of accelerometers and gyroscopes, sometimes also magnetometers. IMUs are typically used to maneuver aircraft, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), among many others, and spacecraft, including satellites and landers. Recent developments allow for the production of IMU-enabled GPS devices. An IMU allows a GPS receiver to work when GPS-signals are unavailable, such as in tunnels, inside buildings, or when electronic interference is present.[1] A wireless IMU is known as a WIMU.[2][3][4][5]

The IMU is the main component of inertial navigation systems used in aircraft, spacecraft, watercraft, drones, UAV and guided missiles among others. In this capacity, the data collected from the IMU's sensors allows a computer to track a craft's position, using a method known as dead reckoning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen