New GPS module has no compass header

Reaction score
The receiver plate of the original GPS module in my P2V is cracked. So I bought a replacement (genuine DJI part, same part number - DJI 11-22 V2). But my P2V had it's compass connected to a header on the GPS module... and that header is missing on the new replacement (there are traces on the PCB, but no "jack").

I noticed the main logic board has a COMP header, but plugging the compass in there doesn't not seem to work (bird signals no compass, and will not start motors).

Is there a firmware setting that would activate the COMP jack on the main board? Do some P2Vs run the compass there, or do they all go to the GPS board? Did I just get the wrong GPS module, even though it's the same part number?

TIA!
-C

No you need the GPS module that has the connector for the compass, you can however swap the ceramic plate from the one you have to the faulty one. Sounds like you got the one for the standard P2 and not one for the P2v,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ProfessorStein
you can however swap the ceramic plate from the one you have to the faulty one

Thanks Crash! Figures I got the wrong one. :-/

I looked at the plate before, and couldn't figure out how to get it off the PCB. How does one do that? Any tips?

Thanks again,
-C

Got it... found the YouTube!

Can you really get the plate unstuck from the PCB without cracking it?? (the good, currently unbroken one, that is. ;-) )

You do NOT need new GPS, just plug the compass to ( COMP ) port on phantom mainboard! It is there, just look closer, Problem solved!

The v2 GPS units are designed for new anti-static compass, they removed the port on the GPS, and plugged compass directly to p2 mainboard, to reduce RF interferance! Hope this helps!

J Dot
:cool:

To replace antenna, you must FIRST ( de-solder pin ) then gently pry antenna up, test for new antenna, then peel tape, insert ( keeping wishing guide lines ) then re solder pin back! Pretty easy!

J Dot

Sorry
I read further, if port is not working, check your wires and pins for damage, also make sure all plugs are fully inserted. It should just work, as all are connected. I've done that on a LOT of my phantoms with no problems? Sounds like wiring or bad connection somewhere!

J Dot

Sounds like wiring or bad connection somewhere!

I'd say so! I plugged the compass into the header on the main board just to test it once more before I tried to swap the GPS plate. Didn't work. But when I tried to disconnect, the whole header came off the board. So it obviously wasn't connected very well.

Great. Now I have to quickly get real good at surface soldering, or get real good at peeling the ceramic plate. Neither alternative excites me much. :-/

Used dental floss or similar to slice through the double-sided tape/foam to make it easier to remove old patch antenna.

(Where you been PS?)

Used dental floss or similar to slice through the double-sided tape/foam to make it easier to remove old patch antenna.

Great idea! I'll cautiously try that. But I'm pretty sure it's adhesive attaching the plate directly to the board, rather than tape or foam. Might make things a little tougher. We'll see.

(Where you been PS?)

The Vision dropped from the sky from several hundred feet last summer. I've been in mourning since, and refused to even look at it until recently when I decided to rebuild it. I think I've spent more on parts than I paid for the bird itself... but I'm having fun with the "learning experience" ;-) How ya bin?

So, yeah, I guess I didn't mention that I just happened to buy one of the legs with newer anti-static compass blocks. And am just now realizing that the lead is really too short to connect to the GPS module anyway. It needs to connect to the main board. So I've got to figure out how to get that dang plug soldered back on. :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj