New Garmin HD Camera with Gps and Altimeter ....

Looks interesting. I imagine it uses the same altimeter as the GTU10 which is not the greatest. I think it uses triangulation between GPS satelites based on a pre-programmed sea level. All good except satelites constantly move and I daren't hazard a guess at where sea level is taken from. Could it ever beat a Hero3 Black tho!.... when it is working properly? :lol:

I just looked at it on the Garmin web site. Checking the specs, I found that it weighs over 6 oz. Which is roughly twice the weight of a GP H3. Given all of the other things that we add to the Phantom that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

What about the Contour GPS cameras, I imagine they're lighter than the Garmin one, and using a combination of a Contour tripod mount, and a GoPro->Tripod converter, you should be able to mount them under the Phantom too.

In the next few weeks, I will have my DronePhone application for Nokia Windows Phone 8 devices that will send real-time GPS telemetry updates from any drone to the cloud, wherein you can follow your flight on a Bing Maps enabled website as it happens, or replay it later. Information sent will include GPS Position (lat/long), GPS altitude in meters, speed in meters/sec, heading in degrees, time, etc.

In the meantime, you can see my experiments with the Nokia 521 on the DronePhone YouTube channel. I've gotten rid of almost all jello and the phone makes a **** fine camera at 125 grams with 720p video. Rough FPV is also possible with Skype, which works best with wifi, but also works with 4G, but not as well.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa_fRx5gL_4i6ifinOmbhog

This phone costs $120 at Walmart, and a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go account provides the 4G data connection.

gazchap said:
What about the Contour GPS cameras, I imagine they're lighter than the Garmin one, and using a combination of a Contour tripod mount, and a GoPro->Tripod converter, you should be able to mount them under the Phantom too.

We use Contours all the time on our race cars, we have like 8 of them. The Contour is preferable to the Gopro [for us] because they handle twindling light better than the Gopro. However they are a LOT heavier than the Gopro so really aren't something you'd want to mount on a Phantom.

I have and used a Cam One Infinity action camera. It's a competitor of the GoPro 2 with similar features but its only 60 gm, has a LCD screen on back, has a protective case and many connector options, even tripod threaded hole on camera itself as we'll as on the case. Oh and you can buy extra lenses to give you a different FOV. I think the new GoPro 3 has crushed the competition but its also more costly. The Cam One can be purchased for $150 and the lenses are about $28.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20