New fliers, beware...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The best news about the Phantom 2 Vision is that it's sold as RTF (ready to fly) right out of the box. Since we're talking about a $1,200 investment, you would be wise to totally ignore that claim.

You need to assiduously and meticulously adhere to a preflight routine each and every time you take your Phantom out to fly.

1) Make sure you have everything you need, and anything you might need, before leaving the house. (Having an actual checklist makes this a bit easier.)

2) Make sure ALL of your batteries are charged or when appropriate, you have new spares with you.

3) Be SURE your Phantom has located the minimum number of GPS satellites and has locked in on its current position, to make sure that the fail-safe Return To Home feature has a chance of working...

4) Once all the lights show that your Phantom's ready for flight and your telemetry tells you that you've locked onto at least six satellites, start your engines and take her up to two or three feet. This should be high enough to avoid the turbulence caused by your own prop wash, but low enough to preclude any serious crash damage.

5) Test all of your controls to be sure that everything is working precisely as designed.

6) Pay attention to the way the Phantom hovers. Is it pretty much locked down to one co-ordinate or is it hunting around a bit. If there's a bit of wind, it should only drift a bit in the wind's direction and then correct itself. If it's hunting in more than one direction, you really need to do the compass dance*... Some people do the compass dance before EVERY flight, which is probably a very safe way to operate.

7) If all looks to be in order, get that bird up in the sky and fly your *** off !!!

* Compass Dance = Flick the right switch up and down ten times rather quickly. The lights in the back of the Phantom should turn solid yellow. Holding the Phantom upright, turn it 360 degrees, slowly, while keeping it as parallel to the ground as you can. The lights should then go solid green. Now turn the phantom so that either the camera, or the battery, are facing up and turn it 360 degrees. If the compass is happy, you'll get flashing green lights. If not... they'll flash red/yellow. If they're not flashing green... do it again... and again... and again... until they are. Once your compass is working properly, re-test the hover and controls at low height, all over again, until you're convinced all is well... :) :) :)

-slinger

gunslinger said:
The best news about the Phantom 2 Vision is that it's sold as RTF (ready to fly) right out of the box. Since we're talking about a $1,200 investment, you would be wise to totally ignore that claim.

You need to assiduously and meticulously adhere to a preflight routine each and every time you take your Phantom out to fly.

1) Make sure you have everything you need, and anything you might need, before leaving the house. (Having an actual checklist makes this a bit easier.)

2) Make sure ALL of your batteries are charged or when appropriate, you have new spares with you.

3) Be SURE your Phantom has located the minimum number of GPS satellites and has locked in on its current position, to make sure that the fail-safe Return To Home feature has a chance of working...

4) Once all the lights show that your Phantom's ready for flight and your telemetry tells you that you've locked onto at least six satellites, start your engines and take her up to two or three feet. This should be high enough to avoid the turbulence caused by your own prop wash, but low enough to preclude any serious crash damage.

5) Test all of your controls to be sure that everything is working precisely as designed.

6) Pay attention to the way the Phantom hovers. Is it pretty much locked down to one co-ordinate or is it hunting around a bit. If there's a bit of wind, it should only drift a bit in the wind's direction and then correct itself. If it's hunting in more than one direction, you really need to do the compass dance*... Some people do the compass dance before EVERY flight, which is probably a very safe way to operate.

7) If all looks to be in order, get that bird up in the sky and fly your *** off !!!

* Compass Dance = Flick the right switch up and down ten times rather quickly. The lights in the back of the Phantom should turn solid yellow. Holding the Phantom upright, turn it 360 degrees, slowly, while keeping it as parallel to the ground as you can. The lights should then go solid green. Now turn the phantom so that either the camera, or the battery, are facing up and turn it 360 degrees. If the compass is happy, you'll get flashing green lights. If not... they'll flash red/yellow. If they're not flashing green... do it again... and again... and again... until they are. Once your compass is working properly, re-test the hover and controls at low height, all over again, until you're convinced all is well... :) :) :)

-slinger

The term Ready to fly is quite appropriate for this bird. The plane comes out of the box completely assembled and pre programmed for you, that's what ready to fly means. All those other procedures you speak of are things you need to do with any good quad, charge batteries, wait a moment for GPS signal. Overall your post / warning is a little silly :p

I think the post is appropriate.

The aircraft is certainly ready to fly, but it doesn't mean the (possibly first time) pilot is ready to fly - and wouldn't therefore know it's what you would do with any good quad. The title of the post gives away its intended audience.

However I believe it's not just rookies who should develop and follow a checklist. Familiarity breeds contempt and it's too easy to overlook something you usually do but, because of distraction, say, didn't this time. Personally I tend to do most of my pre-flight when I'm packing the flight case at home. I'm not then going to rush through it in eagerness to fly at my launch site and miss something. Including missing something non-calamitous like forgetting to put the SD card in the camera and only noticing once you've switched on having driven somewhere to fly... *ahem* :oops:

Needless to say that item is now on the small list of things to check in my case...

Lol @ "Compass Dance"

I bet my neighbors think I'm crazy....

BenDronePilot said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

The term Ready to fly is quite appropriate for this bird. The plane comes out of the box completely assembled and pre programmed for you, that's what ready to fly means. All those other procedures you speak of are things you need to do with any good quad, charge batteries, wait a moment for GPS signal. Overall your post / warning is a little silly :p

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. You've seen mine, now I've seen yours...

-slinger

Pull_Up said:
I think the post is appropriate.

The aircraft is certainly ready to fly, but it doesn't mean the (possibly first time) pilot is ready to fly - and wouldn't therefore know it's what you would do with any good quad. The title of the post gives away its intended audience.

However I believe it's not just rookies who should develop and follow a checklist. Familiarity breeds contempt and it's too easy to overlook something you usually do but, because of distraction, say, didn't this time. Personally I tend to do most of my pre-flight when I'm packing the flight case at home. I'm not then going to rush through it in eagerness to fly at my launch site and miss something. Including missing something non-calamitous like forgetting to put the SD card in the camera and only noticing once you've switched on having driven somewhere to fly... *ahem* :oops:

Needless to say that item is now on the small list of things to check in my case...

Yesterday I got all set up in a field and realized my iPhone was at home on the charger. Back in the case, back to the car, back home...

I get the bird in the air, click on the camera... and... right. No SD card. Luckily I had a couple of spares in the case.

The reason for this post, in the first place, was exactly that, plus the fact that when I was test hovering my Phantom was wandering a bit. Not a lot, but enough to make me a bit nervous. Post compass dance, all was well. I was initially tempted to take it up without dealing with the compass, but that moment passed rather quickly.

Someone else posted here that my post was a bit silly, because this is something that everyone has to do with ANY good quad. Exactly! I'm in total agreement. What I'm trying to do is save some poor NewB from picking his expensive toy up with a dustpan because he's NEVER OWNED a good quad before.

-slinger

Adam said:
Lol @ "Compass Dance"

I had my Phantom in the side yard and was getting ready to do some quick tests after an upgrade. Had to do the "compass dance" three times before it took. I set the Phantom down and was getting set to turn the engines on, when I looked up and saw a neighbor leaning on his rake giving me an odd look. I just waved and smiled. And blushed... :oops:

the Vision doesn't really arrive ready to fly straight out of the box - if you have any sense you'd also do all the firmware upgrades to both the Vision and the Transmitter.
i would add this also to the noobies list of things to do

I agree with the sentiment of this post!

Pre flight checks are ultra important, and require a real effort not to be blase...

I do some real flying -- paragliding. My life depends on those pre flight checks... All flying is the same, really...

Studiowise said:
the Vision doesn't really arrive ready to fly straight out of the box - if you have any sense you'd also do all the firmware upgrades to both the Vision and the Transmitter.
i would add this also to the noobies list of things to do

Good point, sir... Maybe we need a sticky...
-slinger

Adam said:
Lol @ "Compass Dance"

Sounds like a great idea for a viral video, get 100 Phantom Vision owners in an open field doing the "Compass Dance" to music.

Filmed from above by a Phantom Vision of course :)

Love it.

IAP said:
Adam said:
Lol @ "Compass Dance"

Sounds like a great idea for a viral video, get 100 Phantom Vision owners in an open field doing the "Compass Dance" to music.

Love it.

And at the end of the dance you'd have all those blinking lights. Half green... Half yellow... :lol:

gunslinger said:

-slinger

Nice of you to take the time to post this, especially given that the P2V is being purchased by many as their first rc aerial craft. Add in the firmware updates, and this info could save a lot of folks time and heartache.

ToddSmi said:
Nice of you to take the time to post this, especially given that the P2V is being purchased by many as their first rc aerial craft. Add in the firmware updates, and this info could save a lot of folks time and heartache.
Agreed! I bought this after seeing several quads used for photographing earlier this year. I never dreamed the device was this technical until after ordering from B&H, and doing a little online research while waiting delivery.
I am very thankful for all that I have learned lurking around here.

Paul V

gunslinger said:

SOLID advice gunslinger!

* Compass Dance = Flick the right switch up and down ten times rather quickly. The lights in the back of the Phantom should turn solid yellow. Holding the Phantom upright, turn it 360 degrees, slowly, while keeping it as parallel to the ground as you can. The lights should then go solid green. Now turn the phantom so that either the camera, or the battery, are facing up and turn it 360 degrees.

Gunslinger - you state that during the vertical calibration the phantom should have the camera or battery door facing up...yet the tutorial video that is on the DJI website shows Coin Guinn holding the Phantom with the LED facing up. Does it matter which end is pointing up during this part of the calibration?

ericty said:
* Compass Dance = Flick the right switch up and down ten times rather quickly. The lights in the back of the Phantom should turn solid yellow. Holding the Phantom upright, turn it 360 degrees, slowly, while keeping it as parallel to the ground as you can. The lights should then go solid green. Now turn the phantom so that either the camera, or the battery, are facing up and turn it 360 degrees.

Gunslinger - you state that during the vertical calibration the phantom should have the camera or battery door facing up...yet the tutorial video that is on the DJI website shows Coin Guinn holding the Phantom with the LED facing up. Does it matter which end is pointing up during this part of the calibration?

In my experience, it works both ways. I just find it easier to hold the Phantom upright with my hand on the battery.

-slinger

These days when I do it I find it easier to see the status LEDs by actually rotating myself, whilst hold the aircraft horizontal by the rear landing skid uprights, then when given the ok LED I point it nose down holding it by the bottom of the skids and revolve again. You look even more foolish, but it's an awful lot easier to see when the status lights change - plus for those of us over 35 it means less bending... :lol:

IAP said:
Adam said:
Lol @ "Compass Dance"

Love it.

LOL!!! :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl