New firmware Update for hero3 black just released

Reaction score
For all the people here that have a hero3 black that is crashing on you or cutting recording short you should head to the GoPro site and update to the new firmware v3.0 the wifi app v2 has also been released which allows for playback via wifi some files off the camera.

For GoPro Hero 3. Released July 29, 2013.

Firmware version: HD3.03.?.?
Wi-Fi version: ?
release date: 07/29/2013

RELEASE NOTES:
This camera software update provides the following additional features and fixes:
•Enables compatibility with new GoPro App features
•Corrects HDMI TV preview from low res to high res
•Fixes forced exposure lock on 0.5 and 1 second time-lapse intervals
•Optimizes compatibility with select microSD cards by reducing data stream rate to 35Mb/sec while recording in 4K, 2.7K and Protune™ modes (HERO3: Black Edition only).
===

http://gopro.com/support/product-regist ... o3-cameras

The new firmware has a card check and this appears to do a card test and only supported cards will get 45Mbps write speeds and unsupported cards such as the Sandisk Ultra's limited to 35Mbps which should eliminate all the stability issues that were caused by under performing cards.

Here is the new list of recommended cards and looks as if GoPro are pretty pissed with Sandisk as they have taken all their cards off the list as they were the main cause of stability problems on the hero3 black.

http://gopro.com/support/software-update-release

I'm surprised that GoPro took this long to remove the SanDisk cards from their website that they sell. Just wonder how much of this is because all the research done on GoProUsers group. My 2 64gb ultras I have, never had any issues, however I do limit recording to 1080 60 mode since following the original thread testing actual card speed.

For the new people who just got a GoPro that forum has some of the best info on how to use your camera

Here's a link to the card testing thread
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/sd-card ... t5097.html

I'm hesitant to upgrade.

I use a no name 33gb card and it works just fine, even 2.7k and pro tune.

I wonder if this fix will break my budget cards?

D

Well, I updated. No issues I have found but I do use scan disk cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CameraGuy said:
I'm hesitant to upgrade.

I use a no name 33gb card and it works just fine, even 2.7k and pro tune.

I wonder if this fix will break my budget cards?

D

Cards not supported will still work just at a reduced rate maximizing at 35Mbps and only cards on the supported list will work at 45Mbps. This has already been confirmed with a few people so overall I think its a great move though it reduces the rate of my cards it should improve stability. I do have sd ultra 64 cards and have had no issues just one had the odd lock up in high bitrate stuff but the other has always worked. With this update it should avoid a great deal of camera stability issues as only cards that have passed their own testing will record at the highest rates.

The fact that the sandisk extreme pro and new extreme cards arent on the supported list is a bit strange as the extreme pro is officially the fastest micro card available and has been confirmed by users. The new extreme range should also be able to handle this but speeds haven't been verified by users yet. One user has a sandisk extreme pro card and confirmed it writes at the lower rate with the new firmware so it seems gopro are really pissed with sd, but they should still allow the faster sd cards to be on the supported list but they may do more internal testing this time around and not just take their spec's literally. The ultras also revert to 35Mbps max write speeds as will any card not in the official supported list on the gopro site.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl