New Firmware RTH 2 sec update enable rudimentary Follow Me?

Reaction score
It's night here so I can't test anything but does anyone think that with the new firmware updating the home point every 2 seconds from a phone with GPS that if you put the Phantom in RTH while moving...
Say in a rally car or maybe have the controller strapped to your backpack on a bike would the Phantom constantly be updating the home point and thus following you?
I would say if it does work that in a few months we'll see a Phantom 3 with an actual follow me mode plus the new hardware upgrades built in and maybe a better camera?

TL:DR
iPhone with GPS initiate RTH with new Firmware
Start moving fast enough so the Phantom can keep up with you but not land
(if it starts to land does it readjust if the home point moves again?)

Re: New Firmware RTH 2 sec update enable rudimentary Follow

TheloniousMac said:
It's night here so I can't test anything but does anyone think that with the new firmware updating the home point every 2 seconds from a phone with GPS that if you put the Phantom in RTH while moving...
Say in a rally car or maybe have the controller strapped to your backpack on a bike would the Phantom constantly be updating the home point and thus following you?
I would say if it does work that in a few months we'll see a Phantom 3 with an actual follow me mode plus the new hardware upgrades built in and maybe a better camera?

TL:DR
iPhone with GPS initiate RTH with new Firmware
Start moving fast enough so the Phantom can keep up with you but not land
(if it starts to land does it readjust if the home point moves again?)

I don't know the answer but someone has suggested that once RTH is initiated, that's it. It doesn't continue to update the HP every 2 seconds, it goes to the last HP. One option another person suggested was to switch to Home Lock which would continue to do the 2 second update as you moved (in theory). Really just needs testing.

i can't see it working as the speed will need to be controlled manually, unless you happen to be travelling at the same speed as the quad is using to get home.

Geert:

Did you test how dynamic home point works in home lock mode? I wonder if it works the same way as in RTH mode?

DrD said:
Geert:

Did you test how dynamic home point works in home lock mode? I wonder if it works the same way as in RTH mode?

Yeah I am more interested in this one. It was mostly obvious to me that's the way RTH would work. My money is on HL doing the same thing as RTH. Once you switch to HL it stops updating the HP. But an easy way around this would be to toggle out of HL (for > 2 secs), move to the new location, and re-engage HL. Of course the command direction of the bird would change if you did this switch without changing the right stick. So maybe hover, then do the switch and move trick. Details details.

Home lock previously switched to course lock within 10m of home point. The new version, with dynamic home point enabled, may change that behavior, or interesting consequences may result. It's too rainy for me to test that today, but I sure would be interested to know how that works now!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20