New Firmware Released for Phantom Vision

Peter Evans said:
Studiowise said:
I would still like a comparative shot from someone so i can compare to mine!

Here you go (an unprcessed 100% crop in PSD format that you can download)

Thank you Peter. Even looking at your crop on my iPhone I can see its likely to be similar to mine. I was hoping it wouldn't becuase that would mean i'd received a duff one :(
Anyone else? - need a bigger sample set!

iResq said:
Grain is always going to be an issue with the tiny sensor. I hope people are not expecting day and night difference.
I have to admit I was expecting more. The image is still very, very grainy. I had decent light and shot at 100 ISO and under exposed by 0.3 & 0.7 stops. The overall image looks very flat but makes the standard jpg look over saturated and contrasty. I hope that someone who is a photoshop wizz can post a workflow to bring out the best out of the raw images.

Looks bad what a waste. I have an older G10 14.7 mp and it smokes this thing. Granted they are in different classes I guess but anything else I have seen with 14 mp has been way better than the Vision. Now I know I am spending no more on this thing.

It is what it is. It will remain a toy.

Bunyarra said:
Not too bad - the DNG files definitely need work. The Topaz Denoise routines seem to do a better job of cleaning the files up than either LR or Nik Define.
You're right! I'd forgotten I even had that Topaz plug-in. Even on its lightest setting it does do a great job at cleaning up but still leaves some detail - will try some prints to see what the physical output looks like.

well, one of my big issues has been resolved with the firmware update. I really hated the jpg compression.

This is a shot done in RAW, converted in Photoshop CC to jpg and saved at maximum (12) quality with no adjustments at all.

http://galleries.ronhiner.com/opf/dji00008.jpg

What's left is grain/digital noise. As you can see, its an overcast low light day here. I'll bet bright sunlight would clear up a lot of that. It's not going to fix my purple hang gliders, however.

EDIT:
Same shot with just a little tweaking in ACR and Nik DFINE, then saved at 8 compression:
http://galleries.ronhiner.com/opf/dji00008.jpg

pault said:
iResq said:
Grain is always going to be an issue with the tiny sensor. I hope people are not expecting day and night difference.
I have to admit I was expecting more. The image is still very, very grainy. I had decent light and shot at 100 ISO and under exposed by 0.3 & 0.7 stops. The overall image looks very flat but makes the standard jpg look over saturated and contrasty. I hope that someone who is a photoshop wizz can post a workflow to bring out the best out of the raw images.

This doesn't sound promising. After all the waiting. :(

Studiowise said:
Even looking at your crop on my iPhone I can see its likely to be similar to mine. I was hoping it wouldn't becuase that would mean i'd received a duff one :(

Yeah, I know what you mean. The images are very soft and at 100 ISO they're also incredibly noisy, so the amount of noise reduction you have to apply smooths out any detail (not that there was that much detail there to start with to be honest). And then sharpening for purpose just heaps another problem into the mix.

Tomorrow I'll shoot again and see if I can do any better.

Time to go and get myself a glass of rosé and start processing some of my non-Vision images; that'll make me happier ;)

That DNG file is 27 MB?
Big file.

To get better signal to noise on the pixel receptors, you might need brighter illumination?
How much of the 14 bit color depth is being used in this picture?

Does one if the popular photo manipulation programs show a histogram the RGB values in the DNG?

pault said:
iResq said:

Getting the RAW won't decrease image graininess... if anything it'd be increased, you would see pixel perfect graininess, because JPG would smudge out and smooth out some of the graininess...

Small details should be better preserved, jpg artefacts (fringing, etc) should be non existent... but we're dealing with images captured from a super small sensor in the first place.

Sooo... Sony RX-100 II mod, anyone? :D

I just completed the camera 1.1.9 firmware update. I followed the instructions and received the yellow flashing LED during the update. After the update I checked the file on my micro SD card and it showed the file had been changed to bin.bak00, which matches the instructions. I then deleted the file from my micro card and reinserted into the camera. When I now open the latest DJI Vision app on my iPhone, the camera button is grayed out and cannot be accessed. All of the rest of the app buttons are active and working. Before I did the update, I tested the camera with the app and everything was working normally. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: My stupid mistake!! In my excitement to see how the new RAW files work, I forgot to reconnect my Wi-Fi. Everything is now working correctly. Thanks!

Considering that most of the cost of the PV2 is in the airframe and electronics it would make sense for DJI to offer a choice of two cameras. I would certainly pay an extra couple of hundred £'s to get a much better camera. I do not see the point of spending a lot more on a gimbal if the camera cannot take pictures that are not even as good as a £100 point and shoot.

Jpeg pictures will never be sharp, right?

Has anybody taken a dark-field DNG to see how much noise is inherent in the camera
sensor and electronics?

Can one override the auto-exposure?
If so, what exposure times are available?

Does the Meta Data include the exposure time?

Sorry, just learning the P2V but I am somewhat familiar with astronomical
photography where the camera self-generated noise is critical.

If we cannoy take a dark-field, then we should try some out-of-focus flat field
DNG to see how uniform, or noisy, the "uniform" field pixels are.

How can we see a histogram of the RGB pixel intensity values in the DNG, or does one
need to turn it into a tiff first?

Blackdragan said:
I just completed the camera 1.1.9 firmware update. I followed the instructions and received the yellow flashing LED during the update. After the update I checked the file on my micro SD card and it showed the file had been changed to bin.bak00, which matches the instructions. I then deleted the file from my micro card and reinserted into the camera. When I now open the latest DJI Vision app on my iPhone, the camera button is grayed out and cannot be accessed. All of the rest of the app buttons are active and working. Before I did the update, I tested the camera with the app and everything was working normally. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
Is the camera switch in the WiFi mode?
Is the iPhone DJI-Vision app the latest, v32?
Did you completely power everything off to reboot?
WiFi range extender on?
Did you manually verify connection to the WiFi?

yeah i can also confirm the FC200 is a DUD:( what more is there to say....ill still use it,but the sensor is just plain bad....really bad hahahah we all got ripped lol

"Can one override the auto-exposure?"

No, there is no Manual mode. All you can do is set the ISO manually and then use exposure compensation if you think the image is over or under exposed. But of course using exposure compensation is still an Auto mode because all you're doing is fooling the meter. If you were to turn the camera and shoot again, it would give you a new exposure. There is no histogram.

i can see me earning my money back on this device quite easily, but only in respect of web images. There's no way even an A4 print is going to be acceptable (not to me anyway) and forget anything to go in a book or magazine. But up to 1500 pixels at 72 ppi on the web? yes I could get away with that.

Here's an unprocessed image, shot as RAW, followed by the same image, processed. For me, the second one is just about acceptable for web use.

Use 'right click' and 'view image' to see the whole thing

DJI00013-1500-original.jpg

DJI00013-1500.jpg

Peter Evans said:
i can see me earning my money back on this device quite easily, but only in respect of web images. There's no way even an A4 print is going to be acceptable (not to me anyway) and forget anything to go in a book or magazine. But up to 1500 pixels at 72 ppi on the web? yes I could get away with that.

I'm not sure anyone thought you would get print quality out of something like this.

iResq said:
I'm not sure anyone thought you would get print quality out of something like this.

I've been able to get very acceptable A4 prints from my wife's Canon Ixus 95. That has exactly the same size sensor as the Vision yet it's 5 year old technology.

Any one having issues importing into LR5 ? After doing IOS updrade and camera firmware, still getting "unsupported error" while trying to import from a card reader with several RAW files that I just took, just like before the updrades. I can however open the raw files from within Photoshop. I know PS and LR use the same version of ACR, not sure why it's not importing into LR. Everything is up to date in all my ADOBE CC products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers