New Firmware available

Leo, it was a control loss of signal. I still had video from the fpv. It seems 150 away, or in altitude is when it occurs. I screen captured the phone when it happened. Don't know how to post that here though.

Drone7 said:
LeoS said:
IOC home lock mode requires GPS.
It needs to know where the phantom is and where you are exactly, to interpret where the direction to you (home) is.

Let's not start with the assumption that DJI is so stupid to overlook such an obvious solution. They've done a **** good job in packaging a bunch of sophisticated technology in such an easily accessible package that it's easy for people to think this is kid play and a simple product.

Sort of similar to what Apple has done with their phones and computers I guess.

Btw, this behavior is for modes that require GPS, and remember that the phantom has already lost contact with your transmitter. So (auto) changing mode will not help anyway, and trying to fly in a direction that it's not certain to be 'home' may result in flying further away from you.

I wrote homelock first and then i correct myself immediately because i mean courselock.
If you have the possibility´s to try Apm 2.5, then i want to hear you again. No offense :) It doesnt need GPS for courselock and it can still level itself and it doesnt descent just like that when there is no gps signal.

I just want to know if the PV doesnt descent when you loose gps signal and if you can use courselock and atti when you see its descent.

So if you loose gps signal, that means you also lost signal with the tx? That is new for me.

Whoa, come back to us :) You're creating your own scenarios that are confusing yourself (and me)...

If you reread the firmware release log, this new feature\behaviour is triggered when:

a). Control signal is lost. (You can't control it, you can't change its mode)
b). There are less than 6 GPS satellite locks for longer than 20 seconds. (I assume it doesn't know where 'home' is anymore with reasonable certainty).

THEN, it lands.

So your scenario does not involve loss of signal at all, then this behaviour will not be triggered.

Elginet said:
Leo, it was a control loss of signal. I still had video from the fpv. It seems 150 away, or in altitude is when it occurs. I screen captured the phone when it happened. Don't know how to post that here though.

That is rather peculiar, since for most Phantom Visions the FPV signal is much shorter ranged than their control signal.
Do you reckon you were near a strong 5.8ghz interference?
Did you lose sight of your PV (5.8ghz relies on LOS much more than 2.4ghz)?
Have you opened your transmitter for firmware upgrade where the antenna connections might be compromised?

Never lost sight. And yeah....checked the antler wire. (I'm a Ham, so I know a bit about radios.). It all looks good....but it's sure acting like an antler/txmtr problem.

10 sats, 55% on remote batteries but they're all still showing good voltage.
Hopefully ill get out of this office soon so I can see if the firmware updates did anything.

LeoS said:
Drone7 said:
LeoS said:
IOC home lock mode requires GPS.
It needs to know where the phantom is and where you are exactly, to interpret where the direction to you (home) is.

Let's not start with the assumption that DJI is so stupid to overlook such an obvious solution. They've done a **** good job in packaging a bunch of sophisticated technology in such an easily accessible package that it's easy for people to think this is kid play and a simple product.

Sort of similar to what Apple has done with their phones and computers I guess.

Btw, this behavior is for modes that require GPS, and remember that the phantom has already lost contact with your transmitter. So (auto) changing mode will not help anyway, and trying to fly in a direction that it's not certain to be 'home' may result in flying further away from you.

I wrote homelock first and then i correct myself immediately because i mean courselock.
If you have the possibility´s to try Apm 2.5, then i want to hear you again. No offense :) It doesnt need GPS for courselock and it can still level itself and it doesnt descent just like that when there is no gps signal.

I just want to know if the PV doesnt descent when you loose gps signal and if you can use courselock and atti when you see its descent.

So if you loose gps signal, that means you also lost signal with the tx? That is new for me.

Whoa, come back to us :) You're creating your own scenarios that are confusing yourself (and me)...

If you reread the firmware release log, this new feature\behaviour is triggered when:

a). Control signal is lost. (You can't control it, you can't change its mode)
b). There are less than 6 GPS satellite locks for longer than 20 seconds. (I assume it doesn't know where 'home' is anymore with reasonable certainty).

THEN, it lands.

So your scenario does not involve loss of signal at all, then this behaviour will not be triggered.

Elginet said:

That is rather peculiar, since for most Phantom Visions the FPV signal is much shorter ranged than their control signal.
Do you reckon you were near a strong 5.8ghz interference?
Did you lose sight of your PV (5.8ghz relies on LOS much more than 2.4ghz)?
Have you opened your transmitter for firmware upgrade where the antenna connections might be compromised?

I came from apm and i am with PV now. Even there are some problems i like the product a lot :) I am thinking to buy a naza for my hexa because for normal flying the naza is very nice stable

LeoS said:
Thanks for the heads up!

Seems like it addresses a couple of important issues:

1). Flyaway situation that may be caused by lack of GPS satellites during RTH trigger (either due to interference or loss of tx signal). Rather than going 'home' without a certain GPS lock, it descends.

I fly over water a lot and this would be a death sentence .But sounds like this is only if RTH has been activated and you lose gps so hopefully this combo will not present.
I would think what even if it did a better option would be fly to 60ft and hover for 2 minutes first if no communication is found then land giving us a chance to try and recover it

2). Further improvement on detecting bad battery readings that may cause sudden landing (due to 'invalid battery' error).
Battery readings should not even factor into the flight! its good to send us the info, its good to have a warning, but I don't want the machine to land itself unless it has lost signal.period

gpauk said:
Interesting question.

As the number of satellites in view reduces so does the positional accuracy, although it depends where in the sky they are. The HDOP parameter can be used to better qualify this.

But even with reduced accuracy, why not still attempt return to home? If there's any fix at all then it can at least aim in the right direction, and allow the user to take control when closer, using atti mode if necessary.

6 satellites does seem a high value to give up on GPS with.

I really appreciate that there are a lot of smart people on here that I can learn from.

Keep it up! (and thanks)

;)

I like it... Phantom Vision v1.08 AutoPilot & CB enhancements... (in addition to above)

Chapter 11.4 Failsafe Mode:

The aircraft will enter Failsafe mode when the connection from the remote controller is lost. The flight control system will automatically control the aircraft to return to home and land to reduce injuries or damage. The following situations would make the aircraft fail to receive a signal from the remote controller and enter Failsafe mode:

(1) The remote controller is powered off.

(2) The aircraft has flown out of the effective communication range of the remote controller.

(3) There is an obstacle obstructing the signal between the remote controller and the aircraft, essentially
reducing the distance the signal can travel.

(4) There is interference causing a signal problem with the remote controller.

Failsafe works differently depending on the mode the aircraft is in when Failsafe mode is initiated whether it is in the Ready to Fly or Ready to Fly (non-GPS) mode.

Ready to Fly (non-GPS) ---- Automatic landing
The flight control system will try to keep the aircraft level during descent and landing. Note that the aircraft may be drifting during descent and landing process.

Ready to Fly ---- Automatic go home and land
The flight control system will automatically control the aircraft to fly back to the home point and land.

So no Control Signal & less than 6 satellites for 20-secs and it auto-lands. If I remember correctly as long as there's battery left, it descends slowly to give everyone a chance to get out if the way and to give -you- a chance to regain control.

And I especially like the new mark HOME feature: After home is memorized, you can fly/land in a new location and manually mark it as the new HOME by flipping S2 up & down 5-times. Very convenient.

iDrone

iDrone said:
...And I especially like the new mark HOME feature: After home is memorized, you can fly/land in a new location and manually mark it as the new HOME by flipping S2 up & down 5-times. Very convenient.
Nice, but it says this works when in Phantom 2 Vision Mode. Does that mean it's not available if you're in NAZA mode? (In that case, I think you would be toggling S2 between IOC off and HomeLock mode 5 times).

Just upgraded firmware and did a 10 min flight up to 800ft away and 150ft altitude at night in the cold. No problems.

ludorhb said:
Just upgraded firmware and did a 10 min flight up to 800ft away and 150ft altitude at night in the cold. No problems.

Finally, some good news! I really hope this update will fix these terrible issues! I know it's too early to declare victory, but hope springs eternal!

Firmware Updates on Dec.19
a) In a Failsafe situation, if less than 6 GPS satellites are found for more than 20 seconds, the aircraft will
descend automatically.

If less than 6 satellites (more than 20 sec), and you fly over water. Occurs in the water landing?? :eek:

-T800- said:
If less than 6 satellites (more than 20 sec), and you fly over water. Occurs in the water landing?? :eek:
Answer: Yes, if it hasn't heard from your TX either - Got pontoons?

(and now those silly foamy pods don't look so silly anymore)

iDrone :lol:

It should be able to work just fine, up to the last 100 or so feet from home, with 4 locked satellites.
Taking a dive with 5 (or is it less than 7) seems totally unnecessary.

Besides, it should know from the compass more or less which direction
would be closer to home. The unexpected landing should not be
required until the battery is also getting low.

I did the latest firmware update. Did NOT recalibrate the compass after updating. Went back to my favorite park and ran 2 batteries through it with flawless results. I tested hovering, Altitude, distance, Fail safe RTH, Atti mode.

Hovering and stability is absolutely perfect and rock solid. Temps were around 45 degrees today.

I tested the altitude to 500 feet with no problems though control did turn off a couple times for a second though that was my own fault as I had it directly over my head. High altitude works best if the Phantom is a little bit in front of you. Also I think my huge Nexus 7 gets in the way a bit of directly overhead signal so something to keep in mind. I can post the video on my youtube channel if anyone wants to see it.

I tested the distance to over 1,000 feet at 380 feet altitude with no problems and still holding good control and wifi signals.

I proceeded to test return to home by bringing it a couple hundred feet away from me at around 40 feet then shutting off the transmitter. It ascended to 66 feet, returned to my take off point and landed perfectly.

I tested Atti mode which also functioned perfectly.

Overall I give the thumbs up on the firmware update. It ran great, no problems. Except for the Android app which occasional has video freeze problems. I simply "go back" then back into camera and it clears that up. That happened a couple of times.

I also just did the update and took her out for a 10 min flight in some decent wind. No issues here.

So I've just updated my firmware too, everything went alright.. uneventful... and I noticed the new app has some new graphics and diagrams (nice). And I went to the gimbal page....

Phantom 2 mode (not connected to my Phantom Vision):

thYYYoI.png

Okay, a picture of the zenmuse H3-2D...

Phantom Vision, Naza mode:

j5czaDO.png

Huh? Pitch AND Roll correction?
X3?
2 Extra knobs on the transmitter graphic?

I just did the latest update and recalibrated the controls and the compass. Did a test flight. Stable as a rock. :D

:oops: As a noob, I need some help/clarification! I have never updated my P2V and am not familiar with some of the terms.

So far I have downloaded the P2V Assistant v1.08 and the User Guide v1.08. Where do I get the P2V Autopilot and the Control Board v1.0.1.19, or are both of these embedded in the Assistant file? I can not find these two files on the DJI download page.

Is there a sequence that should be followed in the update?

I have the DJI_Win8 Driver, which I will install on my PC first.

Thanks,

ChesterT

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic