New Firmware available

Reaction score
http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/

New Assistant, Central Board and Autopilot firmware available. Release notes updated:

Firmware Updates on Dec.19
Overview:
a) The Phantom 2 Vision Autopilot's firmware has been upgraded to v1.08.
b) The Central Board firmware has been upgraded to v1.0.1.19.
c) PHANTOM 2 VISION and PHANTOM 2 will share the PHANTOM 2 Assistant Software, which has been
upgraded to v1.08.
d) The User Guide has been updated to v1.08.
Major New Features:
a) In a Failsafe situation, if less than 6 GPS satellites are found for more than 20 seconds, the aircraft will
descend automatically.
b) The latest version of Central Board firmware optimizes the calculation method of battery life.
Special Notes:
a) Be sure to upgrade the main controller and central board firmware to the latest version using Assistant
Software v1.08.

Thanks for the heads up!

Seems like it addresses a couple of important issues:

1). Flyaway situation that may be caused by lack of GPS satellites during RTH trigger (either due to interference or loss of tx signal). Rather than going 'home' without a certain GPS lock, it descends.

2). Further improvement on detecting bad battery readings that may cause sudden landing (due to 'invalid battery' error).

Thanks. I'll save my "I can't get farther than 125' before it loses signal" post until after I do the upgrades.

I'm pretty sure whenever someone says loses signal they are referring to the dji app wifi signal,especially since the alert on the screen is "signal lost"

While I'm glad that dji has released some new updates in that this may fix the horrific problems that PV pilots have experienced this week, I'm a little concerned about the part where if the vision sees less than six satellites it will automatically descend. While I guess that is better than a flyaway, it still concerns me that if your PV is 800 feet away from you, you may experience an unexpected descent and wind up in a tree.

Be sure that if you have had more than one device connected to the range extender and those devices are near, that you disable the wifi on the device not being used. Both devices can connect to the extender at the same time degrading the signal. This has happened to me

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Knighthawk said:
While I'm glad that dji has released some new updates in that this may fix the horrific problems that PV pilots have experienced this week, I'm a little concerned about the part where if the vision sees less than six satellites it will automatically descend. While I guess that is better than a flyaway, it still concerns me that if your PV is 800 feet away from you, you may experience an unexpected descent and wind up in a tree.

I quote..

a) In a Failsafe situation, if less than 6 GPS satellites are found for more than 20 seconds, the aircraft will
descend automatically.

What would you rather it do then?

Interesting question.

As the number of satellites in view reduces so does the positional accuracy, although it depends where in the sky they are. The HDOP parameter can be used to better qualify this.

But even with reduced accuracy, why not still attempt return to home? If there's any fix at all then it can at least aim in the right direction, and allow the user to take control when closer, using atti mode if necessary.

6 satellites does seem a high value to give up on GPS with.

Yes, but unless indoor I don't think I've ever seen my PV with less than 10 satellites when flying out there. I don't know enough about GPS and DJI's hardware, but they seem pretty strict with the >7 satellites limit... for one, it won't let you set the home point unless you've locked 7+ sats. So you'd have to experience a drastic change in the environment or a reduction in hardware capability somehow (defect?) to get less than 7 satellites in that session.

It'd be interesting to know at what point (4 satellites? 5 satellites?) the Phantom is considered 'blind'.

Maybe if it has the memory to log its flight path, then it can just make use of the compass to fly in the general direction of home in the event of disabled GPS :)

Maybe it's to do with the postulated "compass disagrees with GPS" cause of flyaways? Perhaps the algorithm is actually saying if fewer than 6 satellites agree with the compass then auto land...

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't know what I'm talking about, but whilst waiting for others to update and report back (I did it straight away last time, someone else's turn!) I feel idle speculation from a position of zero knowledge of UAS programming and less than two months ownership of a DJI product is a useful way to pass the time before all the post-update flight reports are in. That and this very nice Cabernet Sauvignon...

About 6 is typically what you need for a sub metre fix (depending on the spread in the sky) - but RTH could still work to bring it to near home even with a 10 metre accuracy, for example. At least then you could see it well enough for good atti or manual control...

But as you say, they may really mean "GPS totally stuffed" :)

Pull_Up said:
Maybe it's to do with the postulated "compass disagrees with GPS" cause of flyaways? Perhaps the algorithm is actually saying if fewer than 6 satellites agree with the compass then auto land...

There's a better solution to that though.... But I think thy have probably done this as a helper action while they work on better solutions, which is good!

Yeah.

Btw, I wonder if DJI is collecting information from us with the DJI Vision app?

I mean, what a treasure trove of samples to analyze to pin point battery and fly-away issues they can be...! (beside the creepy privacy factor heheh)... but I don't mind them doing that to troubleshoot these issues, provided if they're forward about it and if they let us to opt-out of the process.

LeoS said:
Knighthawk said:

I quote..

descend automatically.

What would you rather it do then?
Well, I sure as hell know what I Don't want, and that is for my $1200.00 bird to be roosting at the top of a 6o ft. tree! 3 satellites should be enough to get a pretty good idea of location and altitude. Certainly 4 or 5 should be enough for the PV to start the RTH process.

Knighthawk said:
Well, I sure as hell know what I Don't want, and that is for my $1200.00 bird to be roosting at the top of a 6o ft. tree! 3 satellites should be enough to get a pretty good idea of location and altitude. Certainly 4 or 5 should be enough for the PV to start the RTH process.

To be honest, up in a tree is a waaaay better outcome than smashed to pieces whilst charging its way back to Shenzhen because it's conflicted about where it thinks it is... All given the current state of the firmware, of course.

I don´t get it,

If the gps signal is lost, then you can not fly in courselock mode? I want to fly above the water and i like to fly in courselockmode and that mode doesnt need gps so why to descent if you can fly in courselockmode? I dont want the PV to land in to the water or in tree´s or wherever because i don´t see why to do that when you loose gps signal.

Courselock and Atti should do the job instead on descent

IOC home lock mode requires GPS.
It needs to know where the phantom is and where you are exactly, to interpret where the direction to you (home) is.

Let's not start with the assumption that DJI is so stupid to overlook such an obvious solution. They've done a **** good job in packaging a bunch of sophisticated technology in such an easily accessible package that it's easy for people to think this is kid play and a simple product.

Sort of similar to what Apple has done with their phones and computers I guess.

Btw, this behavior is for modes that require GPS, and remember that the phantom has already lost contact with your transmitter. So (auto) changing mode will not help anyway, and trying to fly in a direction that it's not certain to be 'home' may result in flying further away from you.

LeoS said:
IOC home lock mode requires GPS.
It needs to know where the phantom is and where you are exactly, to interpret where the direction to you (home) is.

Let's not start with the assumption that DJI is so stupid to overlook such an obvious solution. They've done a **** good job in packaging a bunch of sophisticated technology in such an easily accessible package that it's easy for people to think this is kid play and a simple product.

Sort of similar to what Apple has done with their phones and computers I guess.

Btw, this behavior is for modes that require GPS, and remember that the phantom has already lost contact with your transmitter. So (auto) changing mode will not help anyway, and trying to fly in a direction that it's not certain to be 'home' may result in flying further away from you.

I wrote homelock first and then i correct myself immediately because i mean courselock.
If you have the possibility´s to try Apm 2.5, then i want to hear you again. No offense :) It doesnt need GPS for courselock and it can still level itself and it doesnt descent just like that when there is no gps signal.

I just want to know if the PV doesnt descent when you loose gps signal and if you can use courselock and atti when you see its descent.

So if you loose gps signal, that means you also lost signal with the tx? That is new for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik