This is indeed very interesting, as we might be onto something here. Anyone else seeing 'more' compass errors after upgrading the firmware?
No, never have and still don't have on this FW either. Are you sure it's compass error you're getting, not strong interference message?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm certainly getting more compass errors since updating to 1.7.9.
I think this new FW is more sensitive to interference either radio or magnetic, so get a decent compass calibration away from all metal including cell phones, car keys and cars then once done don't recalibrate unless necessary.

My bird always gets compass errors now after update anytime i move it very far from the point i turn the bird on and move it anywhere close to any object . What i mean is i use the back of the truck bed to get ready to go fly or to put up my gear. Or if i am in my car i use the top of the trunk. Now i do realize there are lots of electronics in a car but my vehicles all have compasses on them also. The bird just seems a tad bit sensitive now to changes.
I think this new FW is more sensitive to interference either radio or magnetic, so get a decent compass calibration away from all metal including cell phones, car keys and cars then once done don't recalibrate unless necessary.

Here is a thought. I read somewhere that some drones had a tendency to drift (left/right) when instructed to go in a straight line. Some have even attributed this to a 'poor' compass calibration/sensitivity.
It appears to me (purely guessing) that somehow DJI tried to fix that with a better (more sensitive) compass calibration. In doing so however, now the AC is more sensitive to irregularities in the surrounding magnetic field and as such, quickly determines there is an error, and switches to ATTI mode (sudden flyaway).

Now, if I have to chose between the two, I'd rather got with the small drift as opposed to sudden motions.

Better yet, is there a way to 'select' how sensitive the compass calibration needs to be performed at?

Really, the last thing one wants (and maybe this is moving that way) is to check not only the surroundings for physical obstacles, but also how smooth/rugged the magnetic field is in the area one will be flying.

Re linked my controller to my Phantom yesterday . I took it out on a clear day with 10 to 13mph winds. I flew into the wind 300ft high i made it out about 4500ft. Not to bad. lost video and Telemetry and then the light on remote turned red and lost rc signal come up on phone. Flipped the return to home switch on the remote. The remote beeped like usual until the the phone said returning to home the drone started to head home and then stopped and just hovered RTH canceled or timed out . I don't think it timed out this time because it never told me this time. So i had to fan the switch again finally it started its Return. Watched the video back on my pc and the drone turns around to come home starts back a few feet and then stops and hovers until i fan the switch again.

Re linked my controller to my Phantom yesterday . I took it out on a clear day with 10 to 13mph winds. I flew into the wind 300ft high i made it out about 4500ft. Not to bad. lost video and Telemetry and then the light on remote turned red and lost rc signal come up on phone. Flipped the return to home switch on the remote. The remote beeped like usual until the the phone said returning to home the drone started to head home and then stopped and just hovered RTH canceled or timed out . I don't think it timed out this time because it never told me this time. So i had to fan the switch again finally it started its Return. Watched the video back on my pc and the drone turns around to come home starts back a few feet and then stops and hovers until i fan the switch again.
It should return home when RC signal is lost, without using the S2 switch after about 3 or 4 seconds. Does't hurt to use it though. Are you sure you didn't touch the S1 switch at all, because that does cancel the RTH.

It should return home when RC signal is lost, without using the S2 switch after about 3 or 4 seconds. Doesn't hurt to use it though. Are you sure you didn't touch the S1 switch at all, because that does cancel the RTH.
Yes i never switch s1 switch when i am out that far . I will test again today and make sure

Go App or Litchi ?
Go app is what i am using. Well had some weird startup problems with the phone today. Had to restart the phone completely before i could fly because i had lost signal from the time i initialized the remote and the drone with No video feed at all or camera control . After reboot of the phone had full signal and video feed . Took the drone up 300ft and out 6500 feet before loss of control and the RTH kicked in this time and flew all the way home with no problems.Very happy with these results just wondering what was with the lost signal at the startup. There was nothing around me.

On the cables. 4 @4 inch and 2 @6 or 8 inch all 90 degrees? Links if you have them anymore? You just velcro to original Maxx mount right? Thanks William

Sent from my SM-T817V using PhantomPilots mobile app
My first set I got off Ebay, the second set from these guys. Create your own custom RF cable
On length and angles, that's going to depend on where your mounting your amps and where your drilling the holes for the cables. Once you have that figured out, that site makes custom wires with length, connectors and angle. Or eBay if you find what your looking for, might cost less.

Reactions: k9time
Anyone looking to downgrade or update any Version F/w.. I made this video.. It will show the update process in the DJI Go app... It also has a Step by Step how to... For Installing F/w on the Bird With only a n USB cable!!! But You can use normal Sd card methods... And get the same info... This methond also insures that the Controller F/w is updated..

Reactions: Y2KGTA
Anyone looking to downgrade or update any Version F/w.. I made this video.. It will show the update process in the DJI Go app... It also has a Step by Step how to... For Installing F/w on the Bird With only a n USB cable!!! But You can use normal Sd card methods... And get the same info... This methond also insures that the Controller F/w is updated..
I like the video not the music. I cant hear your voice over the music at crucial points in the video so i turned the subtitles on. Now that's a Hoot! You should do it and watch what the video thinks you are saying.

Reactions: KennethMcNutt
I like the video not the music. I cant hear your voice over the music at crucial points in the video so i turned the subtitles on. Now that's a Hoot! You should do it and watch what the video thinks you are saying.
Agree, the background music is much too loud. I can barely make out what he's saying. And I did check out the CC, funny. "The nine wife is connected" I'll stop there.

I made a copy just for you ;)

Reactions: Y2KGTA

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj