New filter is weighing down gimbal?

Reaction score
I bought this variable ND2-400 Filter that just presses on the gimbal and when I fly around with it on the video is jerky and I notice the gimbal will jerk down like the filter is weighing it down. Anybody else ever use this filter or had this problem.
Photo on 6-5-16 at 9.59 PM.jpg

I think DJI and PolarPro have come up with newer ones that won't put much weight pressure on the gimbal of the P4s

Reactions: Randall Parsons
Give the @PolarPro filters a try. They are what I use and while they are a tag heavier than the DJI filters, they are of superior lens quality and light enough to allow the gimbal to operate normally.

Reactions: Randall Parsons
I bought the six filters Polar Pro offers for the P4. I put the lightest filter on and the gimbal would only stay in the down position. It also wouldn't screw tight on the camera. I contacted Polar Pro and they were very quick to respond and send me a pre-paid UPS label to return any or all of the filters. I need to try the others out to see how they work before I send in. While I admit I am a complete newbie, I don't think the gimbal should be pointed down with the slight difference in the weight.

I bought the six filters Polar Pro offers for the P4. I put the lightest filter on and the gimbal would only stay in the down position. It also wouldn't screw tight on the camera. I contacted Polar Pro and they were very quick to respond and send me a pre-paid UPS label to return any or all of the filters. I need to try the others out to see how they work before I send in. While I admit I am a complete newbie, I don't think the gimbal should be pointed down with the slight difference in the weight.

The DJI filters are balanced to the gimbal. If you remove the factory UV filter, the camera tilts back. The @PolarPro filters are a few grams heavier so naturally they will tilt the gimbal forward when not powered. @PolarPro states that they have confirmed with DJI that the weight of their filters are within operational capacity of the gimbal.

I did have one filter that didn't want to thread correctly. They were very prompt with exchanging it. Their customer service is top-shelf. Check the rest of your filters and exchange any that have fitment issues. You won't be disappointed.

I am sure Polar pro filters are good but I chose DJI filters for balance and gimbal lock. I get exellent results with DJI filters even if they are pricy.

IMHO nothing can really touch "Rainbowers" filters I use a 5g weight on the back of the gimble and it balances the kit perfectly, even better so than the stock DJI filters.

@kirbmeister Your gimbal is doing exactly what it should do when it is unbalanced, i.e. tilting down with a heavy filter whilst being unpowered, if your gimbal was not doing this it would be very stiff and eventually lead to problems.

@Ibmftw...... According to Polar Pro, these filters are within a few grams of the weight of the DJI cover. Where did you purchase your weight that you placed on the rear of your gimbal?

@Kirbmeisterr just google "sticky weights" or lead tape could be used also, my gimbal will balance perfectly even with the phantom off.

Last edited:
Thanks for purchasing our filters!
Our filters will add a net 2 to 3 grams to the gimbal, which allows the gimbal to operate fluidly when powered on. We guarantee that the extra couple grams will not effect gimbal performance in any way. Some people do prefer to balance the gimbal with counter weights, it is not neccessary, just personal preference.

Hope that helps! Let us know how it turns out!
Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31