New FC40 / Walkera Gimbal

cadre_78 said:
I picked up the DJI pitch lever last night and I'm surprised how much it limits the travel of the gimbal. They didn't make it with the idea of pointing it directly down...

Reverse it. The photos show it in the wrong direction. I can tilt my camera all the way up and and all the way down. I also have found that you push the lever all the way in one direction and then pull back slightly and the camera stops where you want it. If you try to "finesse" it with the lever it will go past where you want and not seem to reverse. It just takes a little touch. There's enough travel with the lever pointing towards the BOTTOM of the transmitter to adjust the pitch the full range of motion. I suppose I should post a video...

PortPilot said:
cadre_78 said:
I picked up the DJI pitch lever last night and I'm surprised how much it limits the travel of the gimbal. They didn't make it with the idea of pointing it directly down...

Reverse it. The photos show it in the wrong direction. I can tilt my camera all the way up and and all the way down. I also have found that you push the lever all the way in one direction and then pull back slightly and the camera stops where you want it. If you try to "finesse" it with the lever it will go past where you want and not seem to reverse. It just takes a little touch. There's enough travel with the lever pointing towards the BOTTOM of the transmitter to adjust the pitch the full range of motion. I suppose I should post a video...

Mind posting a photo of how you have yours set up?

Thx

To fix jelo try addind a littel strip of faom where camera and gimbal meat. Worked for me

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJDqPrS1PWM[/youtube]

cadre_78 said:

Thx

PortPilot said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJDqPrS1PWM[/youtube]

cadre_78 said:

Thx

I had that crappy *** lever and threw it out.
It didnt fit at all. And im not talking movement. Combined with the spring that gave you, it would not let the controller close. Without the spring, it wouldnt stay tight.

dragonash said:
I had that crappy *** lever and threw it out.
It didnt fit at all. And im not talking movement. Combined with the spring that gave you, it would not let the controller close. Without the spring, it wouldnt stay tight.

Search my posts- That issue is because the sellers are not properly showing what to do. I figured out how to make it work on my own. There are no instructions at all on some ads and flat-out WRONG instructions on others. If you try to put the spring in from the top as shown in a couple EBay ads, the pressure will force the shaft UP so it will not sit in the adjuster. If you try to put it underneath, where is should be, but don't trim the plastic "tunnel" it will bind up and you can't close the cover. The way I did it, it works smooth as silk and the spring has enough tension to correctly hold the shaft down into the adjuster but not so much force to ruin it. I have pix in one of my other replies showing what I did.
With that said, I ordered a dial adjuster that goes on top and will switch over to that... LOL...

I had the same problem at first but I added a thin strip of foam where camera and gimbal meat

Ok

I have my gimbal today (slow boat from china).

Can I clarify the power and the tilt connections.

Does the power and tilt come from naza ?

Or do you use the aux power leads sticking out of leg and just use the tilt wire from naza ?

thanks

lostkiwi said:
I used the auxiliary power wires and the tilt only from Naza

Thanks

I am just playing with the mounting at present then onto wiring up later today.

Ok

I got the gimbal connected.

I used the 2 aux power wires from the drone and connected them to the power socket on the gimbal.

At this stage I wanted to test it so I did not connect the pitch control.

However when the drone powered up the gimbal just moved a bit and vibrated.
It was just at an angle all time.
It would not level and just buzzed and vibrated continually.

I did not mount a camera in gimbal.

Any ideas please, though I suspect a faulty gimbal control.

When I first connected mine, I had a similar reaction. You need to put the camera into the gimbal for balance. Also, I had to move the camera with my hand into a more normal position the first time I activated it. I'm not sure if it was so far out that it couldn't get back in place, or it was just a 'burp', but after holding it in a normal position, with the camera mounted, I powered up my FC40. it took about 10 seconds for the gimbal to self calibrate, and from there it has worked perfectly ever since. I am now using the pitch control, though I have been having some problems getting the calibration right. I have it so it moves from level to down-tilt of about 45 degrees. I am sure I will figure it out, but for now, this works for me.

Icepicktony said:
When I first connected mine, I had a similar reaction. You need to put the camera into the gimbal for balance.

Exactly. Each time, when you power up the unit it "initializes" it's home or center position, so if there's no camera, that will never work right.It's trying to center itself. Upon every power-up cycle, you should see the lights flashing red and then go to green when it finds its home/center position. You can expect it to not behave properly with no camera in place.

Ok, thanks for that.

The gimbal is stabilising itself now. Simple things :)

Another problem though.

I have the back off my transmitter and adjusting the pot.

On the "view" on Nasam. (mac version)

I see the number of X1 going between -1000 to +1000 as I turn the pot.

However the gimbal itself only moves about 5 % if that when its turned from one stop to the other stop.

What am I not doing ?

Just to clarify as well.
The power i have taken off the drone aux power.
I have taken a single wire off the nazam and connected that to the tilt socket on gimbal.
SO there are only 3 wires connected to gimbal.

Still not resolved this.

Any ideas anyone please ?

I did also try taking the 3 wires from the nazam to the gimbal but still only the 5% pitch travel turning the pot from one end to the other.

thanks

robinb said:
Ok, thanks for that.

The gimbal is stabilising itself now. Simple things :)

Another problem though.

I have the back off my transmitter and adjusting the pot.

On the "view" on Nasam. (mac version)

I see the number of X1 going between -1000 to +1000 as I turn the pot.

However the gimbal itself only moves about 5 % if that when its turned from one stop to the other stop.

What am I not doing ?

Just to clarify as well.
The power i have taken off the drone aux power.
I have taken a single wire off the nazam and connected that to the tilt socket on gimbal.
SO there are only 3 wires connected to gimbal.

Did you calibrate the X1 channel on the naza assistant?

Not directly.

I looked on the nazam and there is a speed setting for x1 which is set to 100, this is the maximum. Reducing this reduces the pitch movement speed to a snails pace.

The x1 channel moves on the info page from -1000 to +1000 as the pot is moved from end to end.

I am using the mac version of nazam.

Can you elaborate please if I am missing anything. ?

thanks

Ok

I have found a solution.

On the Gimbal, there are 2 potentiometers.

By Adjusting V1 that adjusts the gain on the gimbal itself.

I can now get full range travel from pointing up to pointing down.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1