New FC40 / Walkera Gimbal

dragonash said:
cadre_78 said:
I recently mounted a Walkera Gimbal to my FC40 and for the last two days I've been trying to figure out why I can't get pitch control via the 7th channel to work?

I've done all the necessary steps to enable it but it never seems to activate. As anyone here been able to get to work correctly?

I read on a post that is about a year old saying that some of the transmitters didn't have the 7th channel active, anyone know if that is true?

tell us the steps that you did.
Did you plug in the 7th channel from the naza to the gimbal?

Here are the steps I took to try and enable pitch control.

1. Use the Nazam software to turn on gimbal control on the Phantom.
2. Connect a single wire to the bottom (signal pin) on the F2 port on the NazaM v2 module.
3. Connected the same wire as above to the inside pin of the pitch control port of the gimbal control.
4. Turned the V1 control on the gimbal control all the way counterclockwise. (I assume means all the way to negative)
5. Set the gimbal (SW) switch to 1.
6. Connected a 7.4v battery to the power connection.
7. Powered on controller, gimbal (waited for gimbal to set itself) then the Phantom.
8. Adjust 7th channel control on transmitter.
9. Nothing happens.

I've calibrated the controller via the DJI software and manually using the steps that someone posted in another thread. I've noticed in videos of people demoing this where they have the Phantom connected via USB while running the Nazam software and when they turn the pitch control on the transmitter the values change in the software meaning there is a radio link of this channel - I'm not seeing that at all. The only time I see it change is when the transmitter is connected directly to the computer via USB.

Maybe this gimbal needs the negative return cable as well ?? Mandrake

cadre_78 said:
dragonash said:
cadre_78 said:
I recently mounted a Walkera Gimbal to my FC40 and for the last two days I've been trying to figure out why I can't get pitch control via the 7th channel to work?

I've done all the necessary steps to enable it but it never seems to activate. As anyone here been able to get to work correctly?

I read on a post that is about a year old saying that some of the transmitters didn't have the 7th channel active, anyone know if that is true?

tell us the steps that you did.
Did you plug in the 7th channel from the naza to the gimbal?

Here are the steps I took to try and enable pitch control.

1. Use the Nazam software to turn on gimbal control on the Phantom.
2. Connect a single wire to the bottom (signal pin) on the F2 port on the NazaM v2 module.
3. Connected the same wire as above to the inside pin of the pitch control port of the gimbal control.
4. Turned the V1 control on the gimbal control all the way counterclockwise. (I assume means all the way to negative)
5. Set the gimbal (SW) switch to 1.
6. Connected a 7.4v battery to the power connection.
7. Powered on controller, gimbal (waited for gimbal to set itself) then the Phantom.
8. Adjust 7th channel control on transmitter.
9. Nothing happens.

I've calibrated the controller via the DJI software and manually using the steps that someone posted in another thread. I've noticed in videos of people demoing this where they have the Phantom connected via USB while running the Nazam software and when they turn the pitch control on the transmitter the values change in the software meaning there is a radio link of this channel - I'm not seeing that at all. The only time I see it change is when the transmitter is connected directly to the computer via USB.

I'm definitely no pro, but I can help you only from experience of my troubleshooting.
Open up your controller. Connect your phantom to your computer and open the naza assistant.
With a screwdriver, turn the gimbal switch all the way left and right (just trying to get any type of reaction).

If you do get a reaction, set it all the way to the left again, put the controller back together and make sure that gimbal lever is set in there good (you might have to turn the X1 switch a bit to the right. I know I had to). Go into the RC option of the assistant and calibrate the X1 channel.

Other than that, I dont know what to do.

I'm definitely no pro, but I can help you only from experience of my troubleshooting.
Open up your controller. Connect your phantom to your computer and open the naza assistant.
With a screwdriver, turn the gimbal switch all the way left and right (just trying to get any type of reaction).

If you do get a reaction, set it all the way to the left again, put the controller back together and make sure that gimbal lever is set in there good (you might have to turn the X1 switch a bit to the right. I know I had to). Go into the RC option of the assistant and calibrate the X1 channel.

Other than that, I dont know what to do.

I see the values change when the controller is connected to the computer via USB, but I do not see the values change when the Phantom itself is connected to the computer via USB. I see all of the other control value change, but not X1. Does the pitch signal wire need ground?

cadre_78 said:
I see the values change when the controller is connected to the computer via USB, but I do not see the values change when the Phantom itself is connected to the computer via USB. I see all of the other control value change, but not X1. Does the pitch signal wire need ground?

It shouldnt, but hell, plug in all the **** connectors on that channel just to be safe :)
That will eliminate those variables.

It's odd that X1 doesnt change though. Even if your gimbal wasnt connected, it should still change... i think.
The gimbal *is* turned on in the naza, right?

It shouldnt, but hell, plug in all the **** connectors on that channel just to be safe :)
That will eliminate those variables.

It's odd that X1 doesnt change though. Even if your gimbal wasnt connected, it should still change... i think.
The gimbal *is* turned on in the naza, right?

Yes, the gimbal is enabled. I think might have other issues since I never see X1 change in the Nazam app. There is another post on this forum of someone talking about the same exact issue.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4029

Something new to report that I really didn't think would matter, but it does!

I has always been using the Mac version of the DJI software. Today I decided to install it on a Windows 7 machine to see if there was any differences, which there is.

On the Mac version there isn't a button to calibrate the X1 channel, there is on the Windows version. I went ahead and redid all of the settings via the Windows app to make sure they take.

I'm seeing the values change on X1 over the air while the Phantom is connected to USB, which I hadn't before.

Even with this recent breakthru I'm still unable to pitch control the gimbal.

Has anyone seen a pin layout for the Walkera gimbal? I'm not sure which pin is the signal. Also, which way is counterclockwise? Is that all the way towards negative?

cadre_78 said:

I has always been using the Mac version of the DJI software. Today I decided to install it on a Windows 7 machine to see if there was any differences, which there is.

On the Mac version there isn't a button to calibrate the X1 channel, there is on the Windows version. I went ahead and redid all of the settings via the Windows app to make sure they take.

I'm seeing the values change on X1 over the air while the Phantom is connected to USB, which I hadn't before.

Has anyone seen a pin layout for the Walkera gimbal? I'm not sure which pin is the signal. Also, which way is counterclockwise? Is that all the way towards negative?

I hope this picture helps.
I believe its the orange wire that counts. It should go to the bottom part of the naza F2 port

here is a video I used for reference
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeE-ZOH9seg#t=329[/youtube]

Attachments

• 20140602_013946.jpg
    20140602_013946.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 497
dragonash said:
cadre_78 said:

I believe its the orange wire that counts. It should go to the bottom part of the naza F2 port

Thanks, I will try this. I see you have all 3 wires connected, do you have all 3 connect to the naza f2 port as well?

cadre_78 said:
dragonash said:
cadre_78 said:

Thanks, I will try this. I see you have all 3 wires connected, do you have all 3 connect to the naza f2 port as well?

Yes I do. It was just a basic servo cable (http://www.myrcmart.com/images/upload/R ... 0CM-01.jpg), so I kept it as is and just made a mental note that the "white wire" in the video was replaced with my "orange wire"
F2 port on the naza to the "Pit" port on the gimbal

Hi,

I was following this thread with great interest and my g2d is in transport. I have 3 questions and maybe someone knows them:
1) How do I power the gimbal? I know the aux cable, which is 11.1v right? Can that be connected with jst plug straight to the gimbal?
2) I also bought the boscam ts321 and rc302 fpv. It's on 2.4G (i need that because i have the 5.8G FC40). Can i power the transmitter with the same cable?
3) And can i power the receiver (rc302) with a 3s lipo?

This is the boscam i bought:
http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-2_4G...ransmitter-Receiver-TS321+RC302-p-916790.html

I hope someone can help with this.

dragonash said:
cadre_78 said:

Thanks dragonash!

I have pitch working now!

dragonash said:
cadre_78 said:
Thanks dragonash!

I have pitch working now!

thats great!
Guess it was just a wiring issue :)

Yes, among other things as well. I'm not sure if it would of started working if I didn't try and calibrate the controller and the f2 port on via the Windows version of their software.

I did some testing and it requires ground and signal. That is the top and bottom pins on the Naza and gimbal.

Got mine working great. I just cut the short lead supplied with the Walkera in half, and spliced a longer lead (all three wires)into it and plugged both ends in (one into the NAZA F2 and the other in the Walkera pitch port) I connected my FC40 to my laptop, enabled the F2 channel, tested the settings and it works. :)

how have you guys observed the pitch?

It seems on mine (could be a controller thing), that it's all or nothing.
I pull the pitch lever 90% of the way and that final 10% makes the camera point all the way down.

So I essentially have 2 view settings. Forward and down. No inbetween

dragonash said:

I pull the pitch lever 90% of the way and that final 10% makes the camera point all the way down.

I got a wide range of tilt on mine once I got it working.

I picked up the DJI pitch lever last night and I'm surprised how much it limits the travel of the gimbal. They didn't make it with the idea of pointing it directly down...

cadre_78 said:
dragonash said:

I got a wide range of tilt on mine once I got it working.

I picked up the DJI pitch lever last night and I'm surprised how much it limits the travel of the gimbal. They didn't make it with the idea of pointing it directly down...

well, thats what adjusting the min and max in the naza is for.
When you attached the lever, did you set the switch (the yellow piece the lever attaches to) all the way to the left first?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20