New FC40 Owner..Thoughts/Questions after 3 days

Reaction score
So I finally broke down and ordered up an FC40 and an extra battery after about 2 months of back and forth over the do I need/want one.
After putting it together, charging the battery, and going over the instructions one last time I brought it outside, started it up and flew it straight into the side of my house. No harm, so set it back on the ground and started over. This time it hovered for a bit and then I carefully flew it around in a very small area until the battery got pretty low. Quickly threw my second in and flew some more.
Wow! This thing is easy to fly...Im an expert already!
So the next morning I headed to my brothers house and couldn't wait to show him...and ignored all the warnings I've read on this very site about people showing their new quads off to others and not making sure you have GPS lock before starting.
This time I flew it right into a tree and then luckily it hit a shed instead of taking off to parts unknown.
Next flight was once again perfect.
Ive had about 7 flights since then and all have gone great. So much so that I have 3 more batteries on the way, along with some vision props.
So the good...
This quad is VERY easy to fly as long as you don't get cocky. Follow all preflight steps and you will be fine.
About 11-12 minutes out of stock batteries isn't too bad.
Quieter than I expected.
I now see why gimbals are such a big thing.
Its an absolute BLAST to fly...way more fun then I expected.

The bad...
Camera isn't great...luckily I knew this from research ahead of time, eventually I'll strap my GoPro to it. For now though its fine.
My Samsung S3 phone constantly loses connection...even just sitting in the livingroom 2 feet away just testing this out.
I have a Toshiba Thrive tablet that connects rock solid to the cam, so not sure why the S3 sucks so bad.
Having so much fun with this I'm already thinking the P2 or + are in the near future due to the 20+ minutes run time.

Last, I have tried repeatedly to order batteries from HobbyKing...every time I go through the process of checking out with Paypal it tells me Error: Order AGAIN.
I ended up ordering from someone else after giving up frustrated...anyone else with same issue?

yep but finally got my order to go through...i wont be doing any business with them anymore unless its an absolute..shipping times are just out of control

I love flying my fc40.. your story is similar to mine, minus the house crash bit.. I was fortunate enough to do my first flight in a large open field, otherwise I would have likely crashed as well lol.

I'm also purchasing more batteries.. a little disappointed with the fly time of the fc40, but I guess that's what you get for less than half the price of the vision. Still - disappointed that in reality I get 8 minutes vs. the 12min Dji claims. I'm running 100% stock, and expected to get at least 10 min...

dtviewer said:
So I finally broke down and ordered up an FC40 and an extra battery after about 2 months of back and forth over the do I need/want one.
After putting it together, charging the battery, and going over the instructions one last time I brought it outside, started it up and flew it straight into the side of my house. No harm, so set it back on the ground and started over. This time it hovered for a bit and then I carefully flew it around in a very small area until the battery got pretty low. Quickly threw my second in and flew some more.
Wow! This thing is easy to fly...Im an expert already!
So the next morning I headed to my brothers house and couldn't wait to show him...and ignored all the warnings I've read on this very site about people showing their new quads off to others and not making sure you have GPS lock before starting.
This time I flew it right into a tree and then luckily it hit a shed instead of taking off to parts unknown.
Next flight was once again perfect.
Ive had about 7 flights since then and all have gone great. So much so that I have 3 more batteries on the way, along with some vision props.
So the good...
This quad is VERY easy to fly as long as you don't get cocky. Follow all preflight steps and you will be fine.
About 11-12 minutes out of stock batteries isn't too bad.
Quieter than I expected.
I now see why gimbals are such a big thing.
Its an absolute BLAST to fly...way more fun then I expected.

The bad...
Camera isn't great...luckily I knew this from research ahead of time, eventually I'll strap my GoPro to it. For now though its fine.
My Samsung S3 phone constantly loses connection...even just sitting in the livingroom 2 feet away just testing this out.
I have a Toshiba Thrive tablet that connects rock solid to the cam, so not sure why the S3 sucks so bad.
Having so much fun with this I'm already thinking the P2 or + are in the near future due to the 20+ minutes run time.

Last, I have tried repeatedly to order batteries from HobbyKing...every time I go through the process of checking out with Paypal it tells me Error: Order AGAIN.
I ended up ordering from someone else after giving up frustrated...anyone else with same issue?

Hey man, gratz on the FC40.
I'm waiting till next year to upgrade to the P2... or whatever else they might have out.

Do yourself a big favor and check out the threads about extending the wifi range. Especially with a TP-link router (http://www.frys.com/product/7570696?sou ... AuRz8P8HAQ) and antenna mod.

Thanks for the replies...I took it out again today and am getting much more comfortable flying it. Of course, that comfort comes at a price. The harder and faster I fly it I notice the battery lasting a bit less. I didn't throw the camera on there but left the mount on and first battery got over 11 minutes with lazy flying, second battery with quite a few fast long runs and a few very high and I got about 9 and a half minutes.
Funny thing is...I get home from the park and of course my order of 3 new batteries is sitting in my mailbox. (Turnigy 2200's) If they had come in yesterday I could have had them charged and out with me today.
Hopefully my vision props will be here by this weekend so I can test with those as well as the new batts.

I will wait for a couple more reviews on the 4000mah batteries to see if they are giving more flight time then the 2800 or 2700 batteries and then decide which ones to order. Really curious to see some people try that 4000 with a stock FC40...would love if it could squeeze out 18 or so minutes!

Thanks for the link on extending the FPV range...I looked through it but don't think it will solve my Samsung S3 disconnecting problem. Even at a foot away from my quad the phone loses connection after less than a minute. Frustrating.

UGH....looking at 5 batteries I just realized a second battery charger is going to be a must. Why didn't anyone tell me this was going to get addictive and expensive?????? :lol:

The bad...
I have a Toshiba Thrive tablet that connects rock solid to the cam, so not sure why the S3 sucks so bad.[/quote]. Try this , Go to your network settings . Make sure your "optimizer" setting is off. (Uncheck box). I had same problem. Should solve yours. I have Galaxynote3

stony30 said:
The bad...
. Try this , Go to your network settings . Make sure your "optimizer" setting is off. (Uncheck box). I had same problem. Should solve yours. I have Galaxynote3[/quote]

Stony...you are the man!!!

Thanks...working good now!!!

No problem. I was sooo frustrated with mine doing the same thing so I'm glad I could help. :D

I think the camera is in the eye of beholder.

We bought ours to make some runs over land we have. Yes its 720P, yes you can buy gimbals and better cams.

But wow, what did you get for $500. A whole lot I think. These will give you exactly what you put into them barring failures of some kind.

Rock on and join the addiction. Batteries, gimbals, longer skids, better cams and maybe something to put it all in, yeah baby.

Learn some flying details.

I'm working on nice circles aiming at a fixed point from 120 feet up and <200 foot radius.

Can ya'?

SocalQuad said:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2166258&page=154

Another one for the 4000mah battery

I asked the guy some questions and he was quick to answer...seems with the 4000 and a gimble with Mobius camera he is getting 14-16 minutes. That's pretty good...I figure with me stock FC40 cam I should see at least 16+...maybe even 17-18??

I will try to order one next time Hobby King has them in stock.

SocalQuad said:
Have you guys looked at Multistar High Capacity 3S 4000mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack? I ordered a couple from HK but shipping times are horrible. There was a review of this battery on a FC40 on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arXq7bHkNqM

Just read Marty's test of this over on the other forum.
18+ Minutes and it still had more to give, on a stock FC40. Sounds good to me!!!
Im going to find one and order....

Of course HobbyKing website wont let me order...again with the "Error..Checkout Again"....

Guess I'll have to scour ebay for a 4000 mah.
Question, if I buy one without the XT60 plug can I purchase that separately and add it on?

I was thinking about the mobius camera as well so last night I looked up the weight and then weighed my FC40 camera. With the bracket, they are very close.

dtviewer said:
SocalQuad said:

I asked the guy some questions and he was quick to answer...seems with the 4000 and a gimble with Mobius camera he is getting 14-16 minutes. That's pretty good...I figure with me stock FC40 cam I should see at least 16+...maybe even 17-18??

tmartin62 said:
I was thinking about the mobius camera as well so last night I looked up the weight and then weighed my FC40 camera. With the bracket, they are very close.

dtviewer said:
SocalQuad said:

Yea, the mobius is close to the FC40 cam and bracket...but the guy on Youtube was also running a Gimble that was close to 200 grams by itself.

So...another update.
First of all...this thing is just a blast to fly...no questions about that at all.

I put the 9443 props on and have mixed feelings. I get 1 and a half to 2 minutes more flight time out of the 2200 batteries. But the props really are 'twitchier' to fly. Not nearly as smooth as the stock props. Keep in mind these are taken out of the package and used as is...no balancing or gains adjusting.

Batteries. I have 5 2200's and it still doesn't seem to be enough. I have been looking for new interesting places to fly, and feel if I drive an hour to get somewhere It would be nice to have more than 50-60 minutes of flight time. So some more batteries are in the future, probably some 4000mah's.

And last...this thing is a CHICK MAGNET! OK, not really...but it sure does attract a crowd. Every time I fly it people come over and watch and ask questions. Every time. Luckily every one I've met because of this have been really nice. No negative interactions yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20