NEW* FAA B4UFly Smartphone App...

Reaction score
http://www.faa.gov/uas/b4ufly/

Coming Soon! Currently in Beta Testing - Looks to be very promising...You can sign up to be a Beta Tester as well...

B4UFLY is a simple, easy-to-use smartphone app that users will be able to access before they operate their unmanned aircraft to determine whether there are any restrictions or requirements in effect at the location where they want to fly. The FAA announced the app at the 2015 Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International Unmanned Systems Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. The agency plans to release the app to approximately 1,000 beta testers during summer 2015.

This limited beta test is expected to run for several months, after which the FAA plans to make B4UFLY available for the general public. The initial release is planned for iOS devices only, with an Android version to follow.

...and it's a great way for them to track you, so when a plane reports one of these mythical drones in the area, they can come to you first!

/I'm cynical though

Well an idiot was reported to have flown a drone near JFK airport. I have been flying my drone for about a month, using it mostly to record frisbee games and been having great success. I fear that the government and FAA will crack down and then we won't be able to enjoy this hobby the same way. People: It's cool I guess to fly way above 400 feet, but not at the risk of causing serious accidents...Please fly responsibly so you don't ruin the hobby for the majority of us who enjoy the hobby in a safe way.

Like everything else the government does the link don't work. You have to answer a question and ever though you answer it right it says your answer is wrong

well regardless, looks like drones are getting bad reputation as the media portrays them...bad for all drone pilots I guess.

I have got my B4UFLY invitation and have signed up. According to the app, it will eventually be required for all drone pilots, so suck it up and get with the program. If you know anything about accountability, you will appreciate what the FAA is doing.

The app has far more restricted area details than the DJI app does. It marks all the helicopter landing pads, prisons, and other restricted flying areas.

I looks like we may be required in the future to file flight plans and check whether that future time is available, or not.

Currently, the app does not track the user (or so it says) and sends no data to the FAA (or so it says), however, it openly states that in the future it will track the user and send data to the FAA.

The app is very basic right now. I suspect it will evolve considerably over time. But it does have a GPS based map that clearly shows how the flying location is affected by possible restrictions, which every drone pilot will want to know.

Or you could use a mobile app like Hover, which has been out for 8 months, easier to use, has more functionality than the B4UFly, and will be updated more often ;)

And no, you will not be required to use the FAA's app to fly your drone. You will be able to chose from a variety of mobile clients. Thats why its so ridiculous that they're making a mobile client... they have to compete with guys like us from Silicon Valley instead of building a platform (robust API) that us developers could use!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav