New ESC and now Phantom tips immediately on takeoff

Reaction score
I had a small crash into my tower because I wasn't paying attention (then panicked) which burned out one of the ESC's in my Phantom 2 Vision plus ver 3. The ESC that I received was a new 2.1 version but all others in the Phantom are the non labeled v2 version. Has anyone noticed any problems installing just one of the new ESC's? It almost seems like one of the motors is now over spinning and causing it to tip forward then kind of circle on the pavement (glad I have the prop guards on for the moment).

I've tried an advanced IMU calibration and re-calibrated my sticks in hopes that might be the cause but that didn't help.

I've had my son hold the Phantom while I try to apply a small amount of power and you can clearly see that one corner lifts more than the others. I tried switching to Atti mode to see if maybe it was a GPS issue but it seems to react the same way.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm a little bit baffled.

From what I understand the two different ESC versions require a different firmware version to function properly. I'm sure this is the cause of the new characteristic.

I always launch at full throttle until around 20ft up with zero problems. Also where things currently stand with a major issue concerning V3 quad dropping out of the sky from burnt up ESC's, it is critical that you use the v2.1 ESC's. If you choose to ignore this be prepared to scoop your quad up as I did 2 weeks ago as well as so many others. Good luck, and if you need help in anyway just ask.

Thanks Frank, I was wondering if that wasn't the problem as well. Yeah I was reading about your accident and it's had me extremely worried. It's really a shame, this only has three flights on it and the crash was my problem so I wouldn't expect a warranty repair but having to buy 4 ESC's when I only really burned out the one is a little disappointing to say the least.

I wonder if the power in that particular ESC could be reduced with the new firmware. That's the leg that hit's the ground so maybe it's just not putting out the power the opposite rotor is and that's why it rolls.

I did another experiment to try to eliminate other possibilities. With my son holding it securely, I switched into pure manual mode and the it's the same thing. The opposite rotor pushed up hard and the leg with the new ESC drops so it's looking likely. I was hoping that there might be some kind of hard reset I could do that would kind of smack some sense into this thing. :)

Dumb question... is the prop spinning in the right direction?

I have zero experience installing an ESC, but i remember reading a post a couple months back where I seem to recall the guy had gotten his wires crossed - literally. His phantom was flipping and finally he noticed the prop was spinning in the wrong direction. Opened it back up, switched some wires and everything was fine. AGAIN, I have ZERO experience with this. Just a recollection of a similar problem - it might have even been on an Iris+ forum. Easy enough for you to check though.

Erikgraham, you are the man! it's indeed spinning the wrong direction just not sure why. At least that gives me a place to start.

It's wired up the same way as all the others... As far as I understood it was the motor that dictated the rotation not the ESC. Hmm..

Now I see it, I wired the motor up the way the other two besides it were with the Red, Yellow, Black instead of looking at the opposite one which is Yellow, red, black.

Thanks so much Ericgraham!

CadKing said:
it's indeed spinning the wrong direction just not sure why. At least that gives me a place to start.

It's wired up the same way as all the others... As far as I understood it was the motor that dictated the rotation not the ESC. Hmm..

Well what I remember was that the user copied the same attachment points as on the other side of the phantom DIAGONALLY, which makes sense. I *think* the black is the ground, so you will need to swap the red and yellow wires, but maybe an expert will weigh in. There must be some youtube videos out there on this.

With the 3-wire motors, it doesn't matter so much which wire is where. If you have the direction wrong, you can swap any two wires to change it.
Though it is nicer to have them wired the same as the other motor that turns in the same direction.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic