New DroneFly 2250 batteries and fly comparison.

Reaction score
Ordered some of these guys and wanted to do a flight time comparison between a naked Phantom and my Phantom loaded down with a ZenMuse and FPV. Both flights were identical. Very conservative. Both helis have stock props.

Naked Phantom: 12:45
ZenMuse, Hero3, DJI 5.8 with small dronefly battery: 5:35

Seems to me that is a massive dump in time. Would it help to have my FPV direct wired into the main battery to save the weight of the smaller FPV battery or would the extra drain on the main battery be a wash..

Depends on the battery you are using for the Zenmust. I'd power it off the main one though. The Zenmuse and FPV use so little power that I expect the weight of the battery causes more drain.

Blackoakcreative,
BWT, I am green with envy for your video skills in your recent post. Fabulous.

IF we knew a good figure as to weight x lost flight time (see my post to that effect) we would have an answer to your question....would it be better to wire off the main battery than to carry the extra weight of a second battery. Ditch weight = increase flight time...say 1 second per gram ditched. Power drain from main battery to run the equip = lost fight time. To be precise we would have to know what the wattage (or amperage....since both are drawing the same volts??) is per second flight time....should easily calcuable...and the amperage draw from your switched over equipment.

Exactly the sort of ? that made me start investigating it. I assume your recorded times are to first warning?? But that sort of time loss is usual and predictable....with stock props. I can from personal experience tell you you can get another 1' 30"...probably, from 9" carbon fiber props. Martcerv is doing much better with 9" 9040 3 blades...but he has upgraded motors as well. I get no love from those 3 blade props as yet.

Keep flying and recording!

Thanks for the kind words, Peter. :)

I just ordered some 8" DSLR Pros blades (Sold out of 9") and put them on the ZenMuse/Hero3/FPV Phantom. It flew like it was on meth. Jumpy...almost like the GPS was in and out of service. I then put them on my naked Phantom and if was steady as a rock.. Does weight play a role in this..? I assume so.

I'd direct wire my FPV to the battery but I am as far from handy as they come. I know how to fly it and film it...and it ends there. Perhaps my local hobby shop would do it for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31