New drone - need help

Brother in law has a bunch of rental properties. Occasionally he inherits stuff when tenants leave under unusual circumstances. This drone was almost thrown out. It's a little abused but salvageable.

Well without having the controller and just a barebones P2 you will have to open it up to identify which P2 version you have. I posted two photos of both receiver module that were used in the P2 lineup. The 2.4GHz version has three IC's while the 5.8 GHz has only one IC but you cannot see that from the baatery compartment. As I have already mentioned those allen screws are metric and I do not know the exact size of the wrench.

The signal board is on the right side under the main board looking at it from rear of the P2. Look and see how many IC's are on that board. I post to photos on post #10 on page one.and they are labeled as to which frequency they are.

Look there are three black IC's on the 2.4GHz board and only one on the 5.8GHz module

The photo you took is to dark to make out which signal board is being used. Also in your photo the board is on the lift because you took it from the front of the P2

Well, I think we've confirmed that I have an original P2 Vision with a 5.8 GHz board. Thanks to everyone - particularly Jason who lives near me and was kind enough to spend some time on the phone.

So since this is my first real drone, and I figure I'll probably crash it almost immediately I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but I would like to practice with it and then maybe upgrade it next year. I'd like to find the following parts (used is fine):

Original P2 Vision camera
5.8 GHz controller
Battery charger
4 new blades

Any ideas?

Scott

I ordered all the parts I need to see if this bird will fly. I also read the manual, and figured out how to turn the darn thing on (duh!). I thought battery was dead, but it actually had about 50% life, so I turned it on and am able to talk to it through the USB port and windows driver and P2 Vision Assistant software.

Is there any way to tell where this unit has been? I've read a bit about log files, but I can't seem to figure out how to get at them.

Here's a little follow up to this thread:

I got it flying today with the old dinged up props (new ones are ordered). It flew pretty well, but you could tell it was not 100% stable with those props.

Flew for about 20 mins, and then the return home kicked in when it was about 5' off the ground and it slowly climbed and got it stuck about 35' up in the big tree in my front yard. Had to build a big pole out of conduit and duct tape and was able to get it down with no damage.

Need to learn how to override the return home feature in a pinch. Glad I didn't have a camera on board.

I got it flying today with the old dinged up props (new ones are ordered). It flew pretty well, but you could tell it was not 100% stable with those props.

Flew for about 20 mins, and then the return home kicked in when it was about 5' off the ground and it slowly climbed and got it stuck about 35' up in the big tree in my front yard. Had to build a big pole out of conduit and duct tape and was able to get it down with no damage.

Need to learn how to override the return home feature in a pinch. Glad I didn't have a camera on board.

Well now you know that quads are trees favorite food!! Call me.

I had a similar experience yesterday... I typically fly from a field a couple blocks from where I live. Yesterday I decided to fly my P2 back home while walking... I got all the way to my front steps and landed the P2, when the battery hit failsafe level and the drone immediately powered back up to return to the launch point!! Luckily (?) it was unbalanced on takeoff and hit a pole and fell to the ground. I grabbed it by the landing gear and held on while I used the controller to shut it down!

No damage done :)

I had a similar experience yesterday... I typically fly from a field a couple blocks from where I live. Yesterday I decided to fly my P2 back home while walking... I got all the way to my front steps and landed the P2, when the battery hit failsafe level and the drone immediately powered back up to return to the launch point!! Luckily (?) it was unbalanced on takeoff and hit a pole and fell to the ground. I grabbed it by the landing gear and held on while I used the controller to shut it down!

No damage done :)

That should be reason enough to uncheck that RTH (critical battery level) box. It's also a good reason why anyone flying a P2 NV should have an FPV system so they know the condition of the battery at all times.

That should be reason enough to uncheck that RTH (critical battery level) box. It's also a good reason why anyone flying a P2 NV should have an FPV system so they know the condition of the battery at all times.

I'm working on getting a FPV system for my NV Phantom 2 :)
Until then I don't feel comfortable unchecking return to home on low battery.

I'm working on getting a FPV system for my NV Phantom 2 :)
Until then I don't feel comfortable unchecking return to home on low battery.

You'll think about it when the P2 is under something and it ascends in a split second due to RTH and falls to the ground. You were lucky. More then likely there were trees around and in the path from where you took off from because that is where it was headed back to..

This is why I invested in FPV 2 weeks after I got my P2 last summer... Plus, knowing how many satellites you're locked on to, and vertical height always helps...

This is why I invested in FPV 2 weeks after I got my P2 last summer... Plus, knowing how many satellites you're locked on to, and vertical height always helps...

I fully agree.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues