New drone - constant double beep from gimble.

Reaction score
Hello, just got an advanced on a Black Friday deal and updated the firmware successfully.

I've seen a lot of posts about the beeps but none that say what a double beep means. Is it normal for a new drone to do this?

I've read posts about erasing the memory card but on the standard there is no firmware file to download. It's all thru the app.

The camera is erratic when I move the aircraft also as seen in the video.

Here is a video of the beeps.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Apart from that I can't get it to calibrate. I've tried in two different locations It shows me how to do it in the app, I perform it horizontal then vertical and then I'm back to having to calibrate it. I'll try again in a different location but it's very frustrating. I'm wondering if the beeping is part of a larger issue.

Actually I managed to calibrate for 5 seconds and got a "Gyroscope's bias value is too large" before calibration reset.

This is my second drone (first one was an AR drone that never worked right despite sending it in for repair twice) that doesn't work out of the box.

Any help or insight would be great.

It's true that the firmware is installed via DJI GO, but it still copies a BIN file to your memory card during that process. You'll also see a TXT file on your memory card after the installation has completed/failed. The TXT file will indicate whether or not the firmware was successfully installed.

Try formatting your memory card -- or just remove it. And, then start up your Phantom. What happens then?

So, my P3 Standard beeped out of the box. I thought it was due to some kind of hung/pending firmware update, but it still beeped even after manually updating. For me, what actually stopped the beeping was doing an "IMU calibration". It's somewhere in the menu inside of the DJI GO app. Here's the thread if you're curious: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/new-p3s-firmware-update-out-of-the-box-did-not-initiate.61050/
Standard - New P3S - firmware update out of the box - did not initiate | DJI Phantom Forum

As far as the "Gyroscope's bias value is too large", I have no idea, but there's a thread in the help section that might be of interest for you:
Professional - Gyroscope bias value is too large | DJI Phantom Forum

The second comment recommends an IMU calibration, so maybe that will help, but again not sure. I'm new to these Phantoms myself.

My P3S did the same thing when I attempted to DL the last update. I fixed it by letting it continue to beep while I reinstalled the update. It probably took about 5 min for it to stop. No issues since.

Mine always does that beep like yours until it's done warming up and everything is connected. I always thought it was normal. I have over 90 flights and haven't had a problem yet. (Knock on wood) can you keep us posted if it stops. I'm updated and calibrated.

I tried again today but still won't calibrate and still beeping. I really think it's defective so I'm sending it back. Not too happy with all the frustrations.

So I contacted DJI thru chat. They recommended I format the SDCard and run a magnet in circles around the compass.

I went ahead and bought a new, bigger SDCard and then once installed I realized that it's only used to store pics/vids so obviously NOTHING to do with firmware on the gimbal which the DJI person failed to mention. Of course running the magnet around the compass didn't change anything in getting to calibrate the compass.

So my question is, do I just hook up the gimball via USB to a computer and format it that way?

I'm getting to the point where I wished I had just bought a Traxxas Aton

my first one did that beeping thing and couldn't figure it out..it started after I tried to install the firmware update...and I couldn't update the IMU, kept getting an error message.took it back and got a new one....it beeped until I did the IMU calibration first thing and it stopped..but I didn't do the firmware update yet.

Mine makes the same noise - no problems flying or using the camera though. I didn't think it was a beep, as much as some sort of motor doing it's thing. It reminds me of the sound a floppy drive used to make when re-positioning the heads.

So I got my drone back. No indication of what they accomplished which is frustrating. Not a replacement either.

Took it out in the parking lot at my office and I finally got to spin the engines after having it for 4 months.

I wasn't able to fly it as my office is close to an airport but with the weather getting better I'll take it to a park and finally get to fly it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers