NEW Documentary on Drones - We need your interviews

Reaction score
So I have been seeing lots of bad press for us Drone users, (uav, multirotor..etc, The recent National Parks anti drone laws, the crash this week into a high rise, etc... and I'm sick of it.

Since I make films for a living, I want to make a documentary to educate the public on what a drone is and is not, and how it is used as part of a hobby, or in business, and in other uses, and so I need your help in being interviewed for this project. I had had several TV show air in the past on nation wide cable TV, and expect this project to air as well.

I envision the film to be 90 mins, and want to show both sides, pro drone and anti drone, if you can help please do. I want to do something, and this is the best tool I have to do something.

This new documentary project that shines a light on the ever growing controversy surrounding the use of Drones by private citizens in America. People all across the country use drones with cameras on them for a variety of purposes. From bushiness using these drones to monitor farms, real estate sales purposes, and just people having fun taking pictures from a unique vantage point. But many people are in fear of these new eyes in the skies, they fear drone attacks like those they have seen on the news, they fear their privacy being invaded, they fear the drones break the peace in our national parks, they fear the drones are the beginning of the end for us all.

The mission of this documentary is to educate the public on the issues at hand. Present both sides of the issue, in a fair and balanced manor, and let you the audience decide where your thoughts on this subject reside.

To that end we are asking for your help, we would like people to interview on the subject of these Drones Over America.
We are looking for people who fly drones (UAV’s. Quad Copters, etc), we are looking for people who have an opinion on drones, for or against.

If you would like to help shape this new film, we want to hear from you, please contact us at [email protected], or call 714-510-6925.
We are based in southern California, but we can travel or send a crew, or show you how to record your own interview for this project.

If you know anyone pro or against that I should talk to, I thank you in advance for your help, and haters... your just gonna hate no matter what, so go on hating... peace.

www.DronesOverAmerica.org

Why would anyone hate?

ThatDroneShow said:
So I have been seeing lots of bad press for us Drone users, (uav, multirotor..etc, The recent National Parks anti drone laws, the crash this week into a high rise, etc... and I'm sick of it.

Since I make films for a living, I want to make a documentary to educate the public on what a drone is and is not, and how it is used as part of a hobby, or in business, and in other uses, and so I need your help in being interviewed for this project. I had had several TV show air in the past on nation wide cable TV, and expect this project to air as well.

I envision the film to be 90 mins, and want to show both sides, pro drone and anti drone, if you can help please do. I want to do something, and this is the best tool I have to do something.

This new documentary project that shines a light on the ever growing controversy surrounding the use of Drones by private citizens in America. People all across the country use drones with cameras on them for a variety of purposes. From bushiness using these drones to monitor farms, real estate sales purposes, and just people having fun taking pictures from a unique vantage point. But many people are in fear of these new eyes in the skies, they fear drone attacks like those they have seen on the news, they fear their privacy being invaded, they fear the drones break the peace in our national parks, they fear the drones are the beginning of the end for us all.

The mission of this documentary is to educate the public on the issues at hand. Present both sides of the issue, in a fair and balanced manor, and let you the audience decide where your thoughts on this subject reside.

To that end we are asking for your help, we would like people to interview on the subject of these Drones Over America.
We are looking for people who fly drones (UAV’s. Quad Copters, etc), we are looking for people who have an opinion on drones, for or against.

If you would like to help shape this new film, we want to hear from you, please contact us at [email protected], or call 714-510-6925.
We are based in southern California, but we can travel or send a crew, or show you how to record your own interview for this project.

If you know anyone pro or against that I should talk to, I thank you in advance for your help, and haters... your just gonna hate no matter what, so go on hating... peace.

http://www.DronesOverAmerica.org

Okay... Right off the bat, calling these quads "drones" in this forum puts a dent in your credibility. Also... I'm not sure how many "haters" you're going to find in this forum. If you hate quads, you probably won't spend a great deal of time in a forum that supports them.

So... What was the question again... ???

-slinger

Saying "drone" does not lose any credibility. Go to Google and type define drone

3. a remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile.

By that definition, we fly drones. I take no offense to the use of the word and would be glad to help out in the documentary.

gunslinger said:
Okay... Right off the bat, calling these quads "drones" in this forum puts a dent in your credibility. Also... I'm not sure how many "haters" you're going to find in this forum. If you hate quads, you probably won't spend a great deal of time in a forum that supports them.

-slinger
I see nothing wrong with calling them what they will forever be called— drones. Like it or not, the moniker is here to stay. Trying to call them something else, solely to appease the ill-informed who don't know the difference between military and civilian craft seems silly to me.

I prefer to simply educate them and I call 'em drones. Just my two cents. :)

kgarrison said:
Saying "drone" does not lose any credibility. Go to Google and type define drone

3. a remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile.

By that definition, we fly drones. I take no offense to the use of the word and would be glad to help out in the documentary.

You may not take offense to the word, but it tends to have an unfortunate negative impact on the general populace... :roll:

IMHO of course... ;)

yea I'm afraid the "rebranding" of what we fly to be anything other than "drones" ... that horse has already left the stable. mainstream press has been calling quadcopters drones for over a year now, so is the general public. we may as well own it

gunslinger said:

-slinger

Whether we like it or not, all these quads (and maybe other things) are considered drones by the public.
Just like we call an automobile a car, or IBM/DELL/HP a PC, (i hope those are accurate comparisons lol), it's just how it is and its how the public related.

I even call them drones to my friends because its easier to say and they know what it is. I wouldnt knock him for it at all.
In fact, if it brings a good light to the word, why not?

It's like the show, House of Cards. You need to make your weakness into your strength.
How many years ago was it nerdy to use the internet?

Rebranding the word "drone" into a positive light can start here.

ThatDroneShow said:

I always get a little wary when someone claims that they will be "fair and balanced" (not because of FOX). It is as if you are saying that you don't have a dog in this, or you don't have an opinion; an agenda.

IF you are really hoping to educate people, then aren't you actually attempting to correct their misconceptions about the subject? You can't have it both ways. Either their "thoughts" are mistaken about the subject, in which case they need educating, or they already have the facts and their thoughts are correct, in which case they have no need to listen to you.

"Both sides" can't both be right, at least not about some facts. If the fact is that flying a drone is legal (for now), then there isn't another "side" to that. If the fact is that I'm legally permitted to take pictures in public places, there isn't another side to that. How do you propose to present these things in a balanced way? People who think drones are illegal are entitled to their opinion, but they are wrong.

Who was it who said, "They're entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts." ?

If the FAA says "you can't do this", but they fail to cite any specific law broken or code violated, is there a balance somewhere, or are they just flat wrong?

I'm all for education and presenting the facts in ways that people can understand, but if you're going to be presenting the truth about things, you probably are going to have to pick a side.

When you say drone 90% of civilian people think military that is all they see on the news drone watching and bombing the media took the word and placed it on quads octos to get ratings that is all it is about . Try it out go up to someone and say yea I've been out flying my quad copter and watch their expression then say drone you will get a totally different reaction .
I hate when people say drone what your doing is taking a RC sport and making it into a bad thing because the media has brane washed everyone into thinking that military drone and civilian drone are the same thing .
You say drone first thing in people's heads is spying this is not good for our sport . I have been flying RC's for many years and never seen so much attention that we have today . I find that most people like saying drone for the cool factor or to grabe ratings .
We as RC enthusiast are going to see some bad times in the near future .
Drone should stay at the military level not RC's .
Time will tell
Over and out !

I intentionally call it a drone, and have had the exact opposite experiences with onlookers. They finally realize a drone is not just a missile-laden military craft. Playing into public fears makes no sense to me. I prefer to educate. In any instance they will forever be called drones, so we might as well accept it. Just my opinion.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj