New DJI Phantom 2 hobbyist.. Insurance?

Timtro said:
tonben said:
+1
I'm also interested in U.S based insurance info.
Tony........

Here's the answer you will find, but it's probably not what you wanted:

- Liability only rates run from about $1,000 to $1,200 per year for $1,000,000 liability limit for the first aircraft. The limit follows the aircraft and each aircraft carries it’s own premium.
- Subsequent aircraft added to a policy can received reduced rates depending upon the insurer.
The above premium indications are based upon an insurable risk in today’s aviation and aerospace insurance market.
- Policies are written on all risks of ground and flight aircraft policy forms and again, coverage follows scheduled aircraft worldwide. Policies are quoted through up to 10 different aviation and aerospace insurers with A to A++ XV AM Best ratings.
- Insurability is based upon the aircraft type, flight controller type, uses of the aircraft and pilot experience and background.
- There is no deductible for liability. Deductibles only apply to hull physical damage coverage.
http://transportrisk.com/uavrcfilm.html

Other insurers and underwriters are not yet ready to write policies for sUAVs/RPAs.

See http://southernhelicam.com/insurance-the-next-challenge/
For those recreational flyers here, these policies mentioned here include for commerical operation. Here in the UK polices for commercial use insurance are available for similar prices. Hobbist insurance is available for a fraction of these prices. See the links earlier in this thread. I would encourage everyone to take out some sort of PL insurance cover at least.

Yes, the information I showed is for commercial coverage.

For hobby insurance in the US, AMA membership includes insurance as everybody knows, but the coverage appears to be only for AMA fields and activities. I have met people who assume that a broad umbrella policy or home owners insurance provides them coverage for sUAV accidents but that is likely not the case when reading the fine print.

Unrelated but not really, these days it's difficult to get Blue Cross to pay a claim that is specifically covered until you demand that they read their own policy with which the adjuster is "not familiar". Most often the primary job of an insurance company is to collect your money and then keep it.

BamaDave said:
Guess I am lucky I am not not paying the amount above. $695 covers 1,000,000 in liability, max per year, 2 million, and full coverage for all my equipment. But my agent has everything else I own also.

Two questions: 1: are you sure? and 2: what is the company?

I have my insurance broker looking for something similar to what BamaDave says he has and my broker can find nothing even close to 695.00 for what he has.

I would love to find some.

badbrad97 said:
I have my insurance broker looking for something similar to what BamaDave says he has and my broker can find nothing even close to 695.00 for what he has.
I would love to find some.

I don't know if you can get a rate like that but there are some aviation carriers who may offer better rates to those who complete a course such as this one https://unmannedexperts.talentlms.com/catalog/info/id:77. I have completed that course and I am now looking into commercial coverage with Terry Miller at http://www.TransportRisk.com.

I have also been keeping in touch with AerialPak by Hill & Usher hillusher.com which I found through a link at the RCAPA web site.

I hope that helps.

Timtro,
Am I sure? I am sure I have a policy in my hand.
What company? As stated before, Nationwide

I don't understand the question, Am I sure?
Am I sure my house, cars, airplane, boats, waverunner a, all belongings, life, accident, are insured? Would you like to pay my premium once to prove I have insurance? Yes I'm insurance broke but rest comfortably knowing no matter what happens to me, or my material possessions, my insurance agent will be there.

I don't play games. When I do something, I do it RIGHT. I can't afford to take chances with my families security.

yes..i am also interested in getting liability insurance and what about insurance for loss or crash?
are we talking s.o.l.?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik