New DJI Phantom 2 hobbyist.. Insurance?

Reaction score
I live in out in the countryside in the UK, flying the DJI responsibly as a hobby and sticking to the rules..

But, how would I get a public liability insurance, just in case it did drop on someone or something?

David H

Where are you in the world?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

I joined fpvuk.org. You get insurance as part of the membership. Very cheap! I had to go for a 6 month one then 1 year there after. Its just the way they work.

Sorry go to http://www.fpvuk.org/store its only £4.05 for 3 months, then about £16 or so for the next year. £5m cover.

Also covers for Europe

I would also checkout BMFA insurance and compare like for like. Its not about the premium/initial cost but more about the cover you get if you are unfortunate to need it. Cheers

that's cool! If anybody know of anything like that for the US please share

+1

I'm also interested in U.S based insurance info.

Tony........

If you already have a homeowners or rental owners liability policy in the US, coverage for your liability while flying any type of remote controlled model aircraft would likely be available under those policies if done so for recreational means. If you are flying it for any business purpose, the business liability policy would likely cover you for both damage to others property or physical injury.

Check with your agent first, before having to spend a few extra dollars else where. Plus these policies provide the cost to defend you if someone makes a claim against you, not sure the club policies do, or defense costs may be part of the limit. Often the defense costs are greater than the indemnity costs paid to someone with a lacerated finger or say a scar on their face from a spinning prop gone out of control.

I know in the UK home insurance policies do not cover PL insurance I.e. for damage done by RC craft to 3rd parties or property. You might get the craft itself covered for loss, but its all in the specifics.

Generally RC craft are not specificly mentioned in our home insurance small print. Therefore its open to the assessor or underwriter to detemine if your claim is valid. Its a pretty good bet that claims from damage from RC craft would relatively rare compared to the common claims.

If you go for Club type insurance you know you have specific cover. Is it really worth the risk, afterall its only £16 or $25 equivalent a year? Not sure exactly what it cost in the US though.

IrishSights said:
Why does it take someone from the UK to respond to a US specific request?

Try this or Google it.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership ... rview.aspx

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

oh come on, for the same reason we have a thousand "Vision or non-Vision" theads.. it's easier to just ask than search :)

thx for the info heh. $1500 for a lifetime membership is tempting

What about going commercial where its £10 million standard. :) You get insured too and we can slash each other lol

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

The English Guy said:
I checked a couple weeks ago, my house insurance ( ALLSTATE) covers liability for any damage my rc models may do.

If you're 50 miles from home, your insurance will cover you if you crash it in someone's house window?
What if you crash it in a lake?
What if your hurt someone and they sue you? There's a video at a wedding photo shoot, the guy takes off and crashes into the groom who finished the day with a mark on the face and the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqB6_y71xE 2 million hits on youtube...
Lucky he was close: 50 meters further and it would have had more time to be at full speed.
What if the guy sues for $10,000 + lawyer fees?
Some of the flying groups/membership like AMA have insurance. I wrote them to see. Waiting

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik