New DJI E310 3D print

Reaction score
I recently purchased the new DJI E310 motor, esc setup. I've been designing a compact 450 foldable frame to fit easily into a flat profile backpack or laptop bag. So far without the electronics the frame is only 16mm. I 3D printed an arm in ABS and it weighed 35 grams. I guestimate after everything is assembled the frame will weigh about 300 grams, about 15grams heavier than the f450.

My reason for building this is for easy travel with good video to take on vacation.

Originally I wanted to go with Pixhawk, but after trying a handful of gimbals, the most stable 3 axis gimbal out there, for a gopro is the H3-3D, so I had to use Naza. Still waiting on some ball bearings from china, but I'll update as soon as I get her done!!!

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 1,315
  • arm2.jpg
    arm2.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 856
  • arm3.jpg
    arm3.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 903
  • arm4.jpg
    arm4.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 792
I've been waiting to get my ball bearings from China for 3 weeks!. Could not find any in the US that satisfied my design. And they fit beautfully, making the arms feel very solid. Some changes have been made from the original design. It looks like the weight of the frame will be less than a DJI F450, exactly what I was trying to achieve. Should easily fit inside a laptop bag. Still need to attach the FC base for the electronics.

One of the arms without top cover. ESC lights fits nicely on the side. With attached cover the arm without ESC and motor weighs in at 25g.
photo 4(1).JPG

The quad folded. Cables have not been wired yet.
photo 2(1).JPG

The quad opens up to a full 450 frame
photo 1(1).JPG

Thin profile
photo 3(1).JPG

More to come soon.

That looks great! Where and how will you mount the electronics? It looks like you could easily make a module for the electronics where it would be stored separately then just clicked into place. Plug and play type of thing. Would you consider selling a frame?

That looks great! Where and how will you mount the electronics? It looks like you could easily make a module for the electronics where it would be stored separately then just clicked into place. Plug and play type of thing. Would you consider selling a frame?

thanks, I made another plate at the bottom to house the electronics. I'm thinking about making the bottom plate modular so I can plug in different flight controllers (pixhawk, amp) but still use the same propulsion system, just because I think the e310 is a top notch propulsion system.

Electronics all set up. looking pretty! Currently having a 3S, but will be flying with 4S.
photo 2(1).JPG
photo 1(1).JPG
photo 3(1).JPG

As soon as I work out all the kinks and am certain of the frames air worthiness, I'll look into making some to sell. Ideally I would like to get the frame made from mold injection, which could become reality if there was enough interest in this frame.

I also made a gimbal attachment that gets rid of all jello caused by motor vibration for the H3-3D. its about 15grams and adds about 5-10 millimeters of height to the gimbal, but well worth it. As soon as I get enough testing done I'm look into making these to sell very soon.

I recently purchased the new DJI E310 motor, esc setup. I've been designing a compact 450 foldable frame to fit easily into a flat profile backpack or laptop bag. So far without the electronics the frame is only 16mm. I 3D printed an arm in ABS and it weighed 35 grams. I guestimate after everything is assembled the frame will weigh about 300 grams, about 15grams heavier than the f450.

My reason for building this is for easy travel with good video to take on vacation.

Originally I wanted to go with Pixhawk, but after trying a handful of gimbals, the most stable 3 axis gimbal out there, for a gopro is the H3-3D, so I had to use Naza. Still waiting on some ball bearings from china, but I'll update as soon as I get her done!!!

Would you consider sharing your arm design for me to use with a student I have in class? We are building a hexcopter to use for filming a new school being built. I have a 3D printer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20