New display for P4

Reaction score
I should be receiving my new Phantom 4 in a week or so. Since this is my first phantom I am a bit confused about what display to get. I am considering an iPad mini 4, but don't know how important the cellular capability is. If I don't get the cellular model, what will I regret later? Is more memory a better investment?
I appreciate your help. I'm not sure if this should have been a general discussion since the P4 has some new capabilities.

I use an iPad Air 2, and tether to my phone when flying. Or if I am not in cell range, just cache the maps. In a pinch I just use my iPhone 6S.

I should be receiving my new Phantom 4 in a week or so. Since this is my first phantom I am a bit confused about what display to get. I am considering an iPad mini 4, but don't know how important the cellular capability is. If I don't get the cellular model, what will I regret later? Is more memory a better investment?
I appreciate your help. I'm not sure if this should have been a general discussion since the P4 has some new capabilities.

I use an iPad mini 4 cellular, which works fine. Only 'cellular' iPads have a GPS chip. Without a GPS chip, the iPad will only know its own position approximately if it can see some Wifi signals, and if there are no Wifi signals it won't know where it is at all - which can be a problem with some of the more advanced smart 'return' home functions as the aircraft will know where it took off from but not where 'you' (=the transmitter) has moved to.

Note that 'early' iPads have a screen that is more prone to reflections, and so is less good in sunlight. I had a IPad Air (mk1) which had that problem. A sun shade (a DJI one or from Ebay) is a good investment.

If I don't get the cellular model, what will I regret later?
Without cellular, you will have to cache all maps before flying. Also, you won't be able to have a dynamically changing homepoint (i.e. on a moving boat).
Is more memory a better investment?
Depends. If you will use it for other things (games, music, movies) then maybe. Otherwise, a 16GB cellular should be perfect.

I use an iPad mini 4 cellular, which works fine. Only 'cellular' iPads have a GPS chip. Without a GPS chip, the iPad will only know its own position approximately if it can see some Wifi signals, and if there are no Wifi signals it won't know where it is at all - which can be a problem with some of the more advanced smart 'return' home functions as the aircraft will know where it took off from but not where 'you' (=the transmitter) has moved to.

Note that 'early' iPads have a screen that is more prone to reflections, and so is less good in sunlight. I had a IPad Air (mk1) which had that problem. A sun shade (a DJI one or from Ebay) is a good investment.
This isn't true. Without GPS the bird set's it's homepoint before takeoff, it can find homepoint easy as long as you don't move. However, if you want to move the RC and reset the homepoint, you can't using wifi only. The RC does not get location information from crowd sourcing other wifi signals, the RC simply does not have the ability to reset a homepoint for an RC that has moved, if you don't have cellular, or another GPS device connected. I recommend you pop for cellular, and 64GB in that mini4. You won't have regrets then, and you can cache your video in the iPad without worries of filling up your memory so quick. Video reviewing capability is good for immediate review and sharing with friends, even though it's small and 720 resolution. Reviewing is really helpful to make sure you got the shot, if doing something important.

Good information. Thank you all. I may go crazy and pop for the new iPad Pro 9.7" wifi + cellular, 128mb. If I am understanding it correctly Apple SIM card provides very inexpensive connectivity.
I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow to find out more. I don't think it's available until 3/31/2016 but i don't have the P4 yet anyway.

I'm trying to use an iPad 2 (ipad pro 9.7 on order) as my display but the display mount on the controller won't expand large enough to fit my iPad 2. Looks like I need another 1/2" of space before I can even try to slide the iPad 2 into the holder. Anyone else using an iPad 2 or later for display? Am I missing something?

Do you really mean an iPad 2, or is it an Air 2?

The original iPad 2 is larger than the Air 2 and will not actually run the app anyway, but the Air 2 will fit (just).

Noob question here. Do you need to have a SIM installed in your iPad to make the RTH function work?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use the iPad Air 2 with a shade roof made of black gatorboard. Also use the Dual XGPS 160 with GPS and Glonass. By using an external GPS receiver there is no need to buy a cellular version with a contract -- wifi only will do the job. You can also use the GPS receiver in your car -- With cached maps installed on your device. Of course the iPhone/iPad/ with cellular would be ideal and more expensive.

Oh ok. I didn't realize that. I have the iPad 2 not the air 2. So my iPad pro 9.7 should fit the holder no problem then right because I think the pro is the same dimensions as the air 2?
Yes, the iPad pro 9.7' will fit. You will need the cellular version for all the features to work. That's a great set up, although expensive, it will have the anti reflective screen and 4k video.

Noob question here. Do you need to have a SIM installed in your iPad to make the RTH function work?

No, you don't need a sim or an active contract, it is just that Apple only fit the GPS hardware into cellular capable devices.

Even without GPS in the tablet, RTH will work, you just won't be able to use the option to update the home location to your current location if you move...

If you have money and want quality get iPad or shield. Most of us don't have cellular so before we head out we load the map.

You do NOT NEED gps or cellular to use follow me or return to home. They use the GPS built into the phantom. The phantom uses GPS to pilot it self back to home point when activated. You do NOT need wifi and on the contrary being around wifi will interfere with your range. There is no "crowd sourcing" lol. In fact many of us get better range by putting tablet into airplane mode! So connecting to wifi or cellular is completely unnecessary. A perk of convenience.

Do you NEED a spiffy new iPad? No

The iPad is best quality right? Yes pretty much.

I went cheap and bought a $30 insignia flex 7.8 inch android tablet. Do I regret it? No because it was so cheap. Do I plan to get an iPad? Yes when I can afford it. EDIT: why? Because I can't see the screen even with a shade unless my back to to the sun.

I've tried the iPad and also the NVIDIA shield. Both are stellar high quality. Shield cost half as much but the brightness isn't as great as the iPad. Perhaps I missed a setting.

I've read all this stuff a million times. DEFINITELY get GPS so you can dynamically change your homepoint and you do need a cell version but not cell service from an iPad unless you want to buy a wireless GPS reciever for $100.

There will be people here who tell you it doesn't matter, they are wrong. You need it for better dynamic honepoint positioning, follow me and a couple other things. Also, you can pick up a capable android tablet with GPS/Glonass for half the cost of money is the reason you're teetering.

With the 4 you gain a little cpu power (which theoretically could help you with the tracking software in the app) but other than that it's just thinner, has a better wifi protocol, and has the fingerprint thing.

If you have money and want quality get iPad or shield. Most of us don't have cellular so before we head out we load the map.

You do NOT NEED gps or cellular to use follow me or return to home. They use the GPS built into the phantom. The phantom uses GPS to pilot it self back to home point when activated. You do NOT need wifi and on the contrary being around wifi will interfere with your range. There is no "crowd sourcing" lol. In fact many of us get better range by putting tablet into airplane mode! So connecting to wifi or cellular is completely unnecessary. A perk of convenience.

Do you NEED a spiffy new iPad? No

The iPad is best quality right? Yes pretty much.

I went cheap and bought a $30 insignia flex 7.8 inch android tablet. Do I regret it? No because it was so cheap. Do I plan to get an iPad? Yes when I can afford it. EDIT: why? Because I can't see the screen even with a shade unless my back to to the sun.

I've tried the iPad and also the NVIDIA shield. Both are stellar high quality. Shield cost half as much but the brightness isn't as great as the iPad. Perhaps I missed a setting.

WRONG!

Just use a Galaxy Tab S2! It's cheap, light and has GPS (no need of the cellular version). I'm really happy with it! Zero problems!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4