New company

Reaction score
Hey people. So I started a drone business and so far it's been a joy. So what I basically do is shoot videos mainly for persons and edit them after. 1 hour of flying costs 1120usd. I guess the videos I've made are really good that people want to use them in adds some for a movie and documentary. Now in cases like this do I copyright my footage or something. Or charge more $ for making videos for ads?

I think copyright and usage rights are two different things. You can retain copyright but allow use based on your agreement with each client. If a client contracts you specifically to do a job then he's probably going to want to know that the footage he's buying is purely for his use. The price you agree with him will therefore include right of usage of the footage. If you are simply capturing footage to later sell or use within a non-specific video project then that's a different matter. You could sell that as you wish. As to the commercial issues, your fees are incredibly high, I've seen day rates here in the UK of around £800 (although I'm sure some people earn more or less depending on the subject / risk etc) so well done on that. What type of contracts are you mostly selling?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Hope your not in the US as a business is commercial and you need a 333 exemption and a pilots license. A federal Business I'd number a state tax number and a local business license. Lots of fun! Break out the check book for taxes. Also if you selling a product you have to charge sales tax and pay them by the 20th of every month electronically. You need business insurance to protect you incase of liability. And don't forget worker compensation. I would register as a LLC corporation incase you a sued so they can't get your home, car and personal bank accounts incase you are at fault. Yep business is a lot of fun being you own boss.

I think copyright and usage rights are two different things. You can retain copyright but allow use based on your agreement with each client. If a client contracts you specifically to do a job then he's probably going to want to know that the footage he's buying is purely for his use. The price you agree with him will therefore include right of usage of the footage. If you are simply capturing footage to later sell or use within a non-specific video project then that's a different matter. You could sell that as you wish. As to the commercial issues, your fees are incredibly high, I've seen day rates here in the UK of around £800 (although I'm sure some people earn more or less depending on the subject / risk etc) so well done on that. What type of contracts are you mostly selling?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Well where I am it isn't used. So I introduced it and it's becoming a thing here so a lot of business actually pay that money to do it because we normally use a chopper to capture videos or aerial views which is like 2kUsd

Hope your not in the US as a business is commercial and you need a 333 exemption and a pilots license. A federal Business I'd number a state tax number and a local business license. Lots of fun! Break out the check book for taxes. Also if you selling a product you have to charge sales tax and pay them by the 20th of every month electronically. You need business insurance to protect you incase of liability. And don't forget worker compensation. I would register as a LLC corporation incase you a sued so they can't get your home, car and personal bank accounts incase you are at fault. Yep business is a lot of fun being you own boss.
No I am not in the us but thanks for the information. All I needed was to register the company and create a business account to receive funds.

No I am not in the us but thanks for the information. All I needed was to register the company and create a business account to receive funds.
Dont overlook your country's aviation laws. I've got several companies here in the UK but none could be used to fly drones commercially without the all important permit to fly. Without this I'm breaking the law and my business and liability insurance etc becomes invalid if the claim involves a drone. It's a high risk business so best to tick the t's and dot the i's to be 100% sure.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If the laws in your country are that different, you probably won't get much useful advice here on copyright. In the US and the UK, copyright is by default. There is no filing required. You grant a license for to a specific entity when you sell it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl