New case

Reaction score
So I got my P3A about a week or two ago, and am loving it by the way! It is so much more stable than my homebuilt quads it's crazy! I decided it's so nice, that I think it's time to get a nice case for it.

I was looking at hard cases on eBay, Amazon, Hobbyking etc... and then I realized that some of those cases look familiar to me...
I realized that I still have a couple of those super nice, shipping quality, airtight, watertight, hard cases, from shipping out security system demo kits, back at one of my old jobs!

I dug one out of my pole barn, cleaned it up and found it would be perfect!

The outside dimensions are about 24" by 20" and about 10-1/2" tall:
BA14EBDD-B5ED-48B5-89AD-81B7C2CF2618_zpswgnjjka4.jpg

It has those cool military style twist buckles, a pressure relief knob, and spring loaded steel handles on three sides:
48234B71-AB4E-4AD1-894D-0F62C6041131_zpsn0rcnbb2.jpg

It even has a pull out handle, and wheels on the back!
7B915E39-0744-4178-A32F-E589F146A295_zpsdfdyhqny.jpg

I will eventually get some foam for it, and will cut it out like I've done for some gun cases that I've done before, but for now... I just decided to use the factory supplied, cardboard eggshell container that's inside the DJI box, then I used rolls of black bubble wrap all around it. It works so nice, I'm in no hurry to go get foam for it:
EA762350-F373-4FC9-8FE3-604A0FEC86BC_zpssalhjnsn.jpg

C31E0445-0B40-43DB-B449-3849302A3E80_zpsg1zkwdgu.jpg

There's still plenty of room and flexibility for more batteries, an iPad, bloody severed human heads... Whatever!
And the price was sure right!

Now, come on. You know it's not safe to fly with carbon fiber props... ;)
^^That's true. If you're ever looking to fly with your drone, might I suggest this case:

CasePro ELITE DJI Phantom 3 Drone Carry-On Hard Case - CPE-PHAN3-CO | Cases By Source

It has wheels, just like your case, but it is also carry-on size! Plus, it has this brand new foam called RecoCell that cradles your drone and accessories gently, while ensuring maximum protection even in the roughest conditions.

Right... can you tell us where to buy one for zero dollars and zero cents too? Otherwise what is the point of your review of this case if none of us can get it too?

That one does not look exactly the same as the one posted by Scratch. If you look at the locks, they are different. Because they are so many similar looking hard cases out there, the prices can vary from $50 to $500, which is I why I asked Scratch how much is his compared to that CasePro ELITE.
Well, when Scratch said he "dug it out of his Pole Barn," the implication was that it was free.

I have a couple of the MCM cases, as well as a couple of $300 custom cases and back packs (I own a dozen drones). They all do the job nicely, and I've learned if I save a few $$ on the case, I can buy more batteries or props! lol

Well, when Scratch said he "dug it out of his Pole Barn," the implication was that it was free.
Which is why I asked him what is the point of his review when he named this thread "New case" and saying "the price was sure right". It sound more like "I found this old case in my garage and how my DIY project gets it to fit my Phantom". So people who read his post and thinking where can they buy the exact same case, will be disappointed not being pointed to the right direction.

The point of my first post asking Scratch the price is if he can tell us he only bought his case for $50, then that CasePro ELITE is a lot more expensive and I can definitely see people choosing their own DIY $50 hard case than what CasePro suggested.

It wasn't a review at all. I was just happy that I found a nearly perfect case for my Phantom in my barn, and didn't have to pay anything for it, and thought I would share my good luck.

Also figured that maybe others might get the idea that you don't have to spend a bunch of money on a case with custom cut foam, to fit your quad... if you have some sort of case already, like this, or even something like a suitcase... you can use the custom fit cardboard from DJI along with some bubble wrap, and make a much better case than the cardboard box it comes in.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Good on yer, Scratch:
Always entertaining to hear about a bit of enterprising diy.
Good tip, using the eggbox packaging.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
It wasn't a review at all. I was just happy that I found a nearly perfect case for my Phantom in my barn, and didn't have to pay anything for it, and thought I would share my good luck.

Also figured that maybe others might get the idea that you don't have to spend a bunch of money on a case with custom cut foam, to fit your quad... if you have some sort of case already, like this, or even something like a suitcase... you can use the custom fit cardboard from DJI along with some bubble wrap, and make a much better case than the cardboard box it comes in.
You know that is exactly what Yuneec does for their Q500 drones - the aluminum case you buy from them is just an empty shell sized to perfectly fit the stryofoam custom fit box the quad comes in, you simply insert that into the aluminum case.

Reactions: Scratch
Get a bag for life for 5p in ASDA (that's Walmart for the yanks)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers