New Carbon Props Losing Altitude

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought these carbon props from HeliPal.
http://www.helipal.com/9443-carbon-prop ... w-ccw.html

However when fitted the quad is all over the place, doesn't hover well at all and when flying it loses altitude.

Any thoughts what could be causing this?

They are 9443 so should be direct replacements right?

Thanks for your help!

There are a lot of posts in the forum re: aftermarket props. Especially the Carbon Fibers. The consensus has been primarily don't use any props other then the DJI factory P2 Props. They are a highly tuned design for the P2. Nobody as far as i am aware has made a prop that performs as good as the oem one's.

I agree, but at the same time, I flew a phantom yesterday with carbon props and it was steady as a rock. So they obviously do work, just wondered if there were any settings to tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any prop that is a CF copy of the stock prop is a almost guaranteed to be problematic. The stock blade works well because it flexes. It has an aggressive pitch and the flex helps to keep it from losing laminar flow in turbulence and hard maneuvers. Take the flex away and you have a prop that is too aggressively pitched for the P2.

Exactly same problem here b1nuzz. Purchased off HeliPal as well - exact same ones. Thing hovers like it's having a spasm and drifts/jitters all over the place. Binned them.

Hmmm. Bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianwood said:
Any prop that is a CF copy of the stock prop is a almost guaranteed to be problematic. The stock blade works well because it flexes. It has an aggressive pitch and the flex helps to keep it from losing laminar flow in turbulence and hard maneuvers. Take the flex away and you have a prop that is too aggressively pitched for the P2.

Great analysis! Makes sense.

Stiffer props = smoother flight, more responsive and longer flight times.....but....you do have to balance them! Once I started balancing my props it made a huge difference in stability and removing jello (if you have any).

don't do the Carbon props, I did it myself and even after balancing them it jittered, lost altitude and control over a tree. Not worth the replacement of parts and damaged GoPro. Stay stock.

sanderx said:
Stiffer props = smoother flight, more responsive and longer flight times.....but....you do have to balance them! Once I started balancing my props it made a huge difference in stability and removing jello (if you have any).

No. The P2 prop only works with the flex that is inherent to its design. If you stiffen the blade, you need to decrease the pitch / reduce the angle of attack or lose a lot of weight to maintain stability under normal operating conditions. Just do a search to see all the reports of crashes caused by CF props.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20