New Canadian Drone Rules (2017-06-27)

Reaction score
While I wasn't paying attention, the Canadian drone rules seem to have changed for the better!

Was: 9 km from an aerodrome. Is Now 5.5 km from aerodrome centre or seaplane base.
Was: 9 km from a heliport. Is Now 1.8 km from a heliport.

But NOT inside a control zone of course.

For drones of less than 1 Kg
Was: 75 m away from vehicles, public, vessels. Now: 30 m.

For drones over 1 Kg, the 75 m rule is not changed.

Also, buildings and animals are not named at all...

Official:
Interim Order No. 8 Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft - Transport Canada

Semi-official
Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Reader's digest version
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/document...w_rules_for_recreational_drone_users_EN_2.pdf

Hi @AlanTheBeast ,

Those rules are still grey (not clear) in Canada. I'm always flying with caution but for sure bypassing some rules, i know that.

Are you near Québec ?

Hi @AlanTheBeast ,

Those rules are still grey (not clear) in Canada. I'm always flying with caution but for sure bypassing some rules, i know that.

Are you near Québec ?

Near Montreal. Breaking the rules 1% of the time. But that's subject to a 100% fine ($3000). For example, one place I like to fly is inaccessible on foot, so I fly from the end of the street. That breaks the old rules pretty hard until 75 m away. Now not so much. So instead of 1% of the time, I'm down to 0.33% of the time. Still a 100% fine! So I have to be careful about the kids that play there (frogs, snakes, etc. galore).

Now at least the idiocy about buildings and animals has been removed.

Where are you?

They are following almost the same rule as the US. Great approach!

@AlanTheBeast , i'm in Quebec City.

Congrats to the 1%, i can't say that myself. Les chutes Montmorency and Les chutes de Charny was 2 great flights. Probably both illegal. I was there at 5h30am (just after sunset), nobody around. So it was secure.

Funny there was nothing in the media in relation to the changes. While I know that the changes will not help many recreational users in Canada, it is a huge change for a number of people, including myself. I live in a rural area outside of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. No other houses reasonably close, but I am just under 8 km from the Charlottetown Airport, which made any flight I made from my back yard illegal. Charlottetown Airport is not very busy and I am well outside the flight paths of the two runways there. The helipad at the hospital in Charlottetown that is used maybe 4 times a year also impacted on air space very close to where I live.

With the change to 5.5 kms (for airports) and 1.8 km (for helipads) I am well outside Transport Canada Prohibited airspace for both, and will my wife and I will be able to fly from our property without fear of prosecution.

Funny there was nothing in the media in relation to the changes. While I know that the changes will not help many recreational users in Canada, it is a huge change for a number of people, including myself. I live in a rural area outside of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. No other houses reasonably close, but I am just under 8 km from the Charlottetown Airport, which made any flight I made from my back yard illegal. Charlottetown Airport is not very busy and I am well outside the flight paths of the two runways there. The helipad at the hospital in Charlottetown that is used maybe 4 times a year also impacted on air space very close to where I live.

With the change to 5.5 kms (for airports) and 1.8 km (for helipads) I am well outside Transport Canada Prohibited airspace for both, and will my wife and I will be able to fly from our property without fear of prosecution.
it's 5.5 km from an aerodrome not airport , very different definitions , still 9km from AIRPORTS

it's 5.5 km from an aerodrome not airport , very different definitions , still 9km from AIRPORTS

With the greatest respect, I beg to differ, here are the Transport Canada definitions:

Airport: An aerodrome for which, under Part III of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, an airport certificate has been issued by the Minister.

Aerodrome: Any area of land, water (including the frozen surface thereof) or other supporting surface used or designed, prepared, equipped or set apart for use either in whole or in part for the arrival, departure, movement or servicing of aircraft and includes any buildings, installations and equipment situated thereon or associated therewith.

An airport is an aerodrome, but all aerodromes are not airports.

While not technically the regulations, the Transport Canada pdf guide states:

Fly your drone: at least 5.5 km from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base, or other areas where aircraft take-off and land)

If I am missing something please let me know.

I image that it will take them some time to update their map.

Once again, from the TC page: Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Fly your drone:
  • below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 250 g up to 1 kg)
  • at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 1 kg up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base, or areas where aircraft take-off and land)
  • at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where operation could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself or closer
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address, and telephone number
Further, their quick guide for recreational drone use: https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/Flying_for_fun_EN-V6.pdf

I see nothing in TC's regulations that suggest 9 km from any type of airport or aerodrome. If there was a 9 km limit for some airports, I would expect to see it in the noted sections. (Not to say that something like that will not be implemented down the road). There is a big difference in the type and volume or air traffic at say Halifax and Charlottetown airports.

I think the intent was to lower the restrictions for small regional airports , I think the 9km for international airports in the original rules are missing here and will be added back in .

I think were getting mixed messages from transport Canada again , I can't see them dropping international airport down to 5km from 9 , plus it hasn't changed on this site UAV Site Selection Tool - National Research Council Canada

Forget that tool. Faulty from the start and not correct in many places.

An aerodrome is any airport. The 5.5 km (3 NM) rule applies.

However, you still cannot fly your drone within class C, D or E airspace. (Nor A or B but you won't be going that high - I digress).

Any controlled airport (ie: Stanfield) will be class C or D and sometimes E (no controller at late night, for example).
You cannot fly there.

Yarmouth is class E - 5 NM radius (9 km). You cannot fly there.Grey area. Class E "may" be controlled: 5 NM. Or not: 3 NM applies. If you're near Yarmouth call the FSS to see if they are operating as controlled or not. It has a 5 NM mandatory freq, so I'd lean to keeping to the 9 KM rule.

Greenwood - class D - ~ 6.5 NM radius. You cannot fly there. (Military considerations aside).

Edit for Yarmouth

Last edited:
My father got permission to land at Greenwood (C-182) when the CP-140's were officially inaugurated (early 80's?). I couldn't make that trip (school or work).

so Charlottetown is still 9km with the new rules unfortunately

Yep - 5 NM radius class E.

But, you could plead ignorance and use 3 NM as that's what the gubmint's website says.

upload_2017-6-30_18-0-13.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31