New battery transportation

Reaction score
My friends dad is flying from states to my country, where i can't get any batteries. So i want to ask him to buy one for me and bring it.
The question is, besides the fact that battery should be transported on a plane baggage, how charged do they arrive from DJI? Because as far i as i know is that they should be 50% charged when carried on plane.
If it arrives to my friends dad 100% charged, i wont be able to ask him to start discharging it before flying because they wont let him through - and etc. - he will just not bring it to me.

The ones I have checked where around 40% and I have been lucky as they have been fairly close to the manufactured date.

They will definitely not be 100% charged. Lipos are never shipped at 100% Soc due to shipping regulations and in the interests of long service life.

The question is, besides the fact that battery should be transported on a plane baggage, how charged do they arrive from DJI? Because as far i as i know is that they should be 50% charged when carried on plane.
If it arrives to my friends dad 100% charged, i wont be able to ask him to start discharging it before flying because they wont let him through - and etc. - he will just not bring it to me.
New batteries are about 50% charged or less.
Airlines and airport security don't care what charge level is in the battery.
He must carry the battery in his carry-on not in his checked luggage.
Search the airline's website for batteries to confirm this.

what percentage should we discharge to before carrying batteries on a flight? is 50% sufficient? I have a few flights coming up. will be carrying the batteries in a lipo gaurd bag and put plastic caps on the terminals. hoping not to have any problems.

what percentage should we discharge to before carrying batteries on a flight? is 50% sufficient?.
No airline I've seen specifies anything about charge level.
None specify Lipo bags either.
If you want to confirm, go to your airline's website and search for batteries to see what they say.

t2adze, tell him to transport the batteries in his carry-on bag -- right in the DJI box they come in. Nothing special needs to be done to the batteries.

what percentage should we discharge to before carrying batteries on a flight? is 50% sufficient? I have a few flights coming up. will be carrying the batteries in a lipo gaurd bag and put plastic caps on the terminals. hoping not to have any problems.
most of those lipo bags are crap, in the Phantom 3 Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines it says never to travel with a battery charged more than 50% but then it also goes on to say that you should fully discharge the battery before and airline flight.

Attachments

• Battery Travel Safety.jpg
    Battery Travel Safety.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 347
My friends dad is flying from states to my country, where i can't get any batteries. So i want to ask him to buy one for me and bring it.
see my other post above, I think if the battery has never been charged it should be fine. They come in cardboard boxes with foam so he won't have to worry about loose things in his bag shorting out the battery or the battery being damaged from regular transport. They have to be with him in his carry on though.

You should travel with them like DJI ships them. Dead

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The ones I have checked where around 40% and I have been lucky as they have been fairly close to the manufactured date.

They will definitely not be 100% charged. Lipos are never shipped at 100% Soc due to shipping regulations and in the interests of long service life.
I've bought p2 batteries that were 100%

I've bought p2 batteries that were 100%
I wouldnt have be happy if i got a lipo new at or close to 100% SOC. Well understood characteristic of LiPO chemistry, regardless of cell manufacturer, is that lifetime performace, especially with respect to usable capacity, reduces more rapidly if stored at or close to max cell voltage.You wont have to worry about this hapoening after 1 April this year when 30% max charge is mandated for all commercial air shipments.

Do airports actually check your battery levels???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I havent had levels checked in close to 20 flights by airport personell, never mentioned. Havent taken phantom batteries internationally by air though. I suspect the DJI recomendation to discharge is more in an effort to insure they arent named in connection with an incident. It is well understood that lipos are more unstable and subject to failure at or close to full charge.

I just received a brand new p3 battery from B&H.
I had to wait for them to get stock in so it is fresh.
It was well under 50% , not even enough to start the quad to update battery. charging now!
the factory box it shipped in is perfect for transport, tell him not to worry as others said and carry it on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20