Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

new batteries reading odd after charge

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Julius717, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Julius717

So I bought 5 batteries last week. Charged them all up. Been flying and I noticed that after completing a charge it doesn't show 100% in the app, 3 of the 5 say 96% after a charge and around 4100mah , anyone else notice this ? I had a critical battery error just a fee does ago also pop up and go away. Now I'm a bit worried to fly far.

2. bobmyers

I think I would be cautious and not put them to the test until you conditioned them for 10 flights.:)

3. Julius717

I've never done that before. I have 6 batteries for my vision plus and never conditioned them.

I plugged them back in and they didn't charge so I unplugged then turn the batteries on plugged back in they began charging again. So we shall see

4. bobmyers

DJI recommends flying the batteries to 50 % for the first 10 flights to condition the cells. There are posts on this forum regarding this.;) Better safe than sorry.

nickyb likes this.
  5. Julius717

Where does DJI recommend this? Never read it directly from DJI it's all been based in opinion

From what I've seen on here that's a recommendation based on LIPO batteries in general. I've used lipos for years never conditioned a battery.

6. bobmyers

Check with blade strike, he can direct you to the source--- He works for DJI

7. Julius717

Not in the manual and not in the literature that comes with the actual batteries either.

8. Jbundy63

9. Jbundy63

I thought this was some pretty good information

10. bobmyers

yes that is very good info--

Jbundy63 likes this.
  11. Jbundy63

That is so weird! Where did you purchase them from?

12. Oso

Oso

I saw this exact same issue with both of my extra batteries. Only a 97% charge when charging completes. The battery that came with the P3 originally still charges to 100%. I didn't do anything differently with the two new batteries.

13. bobmyers

I have experienced this will regular lipos tha I use in my rc planes -- get a new battery, balance charge it slowly and it never reaches a full charge. There may be a inferior cell in the pack that is causing that and you may not ever get them to reach a full charge. You might see an email to DJI support-- maybe they will warranty them-- the problem being that it will take months to get the replacements if they are defective which puts you back to square one. :confused::mad:

14. pencilcoil

My battery didn't charge to more than 98% at first but at around 10 flights in I now get 100%. I never fly them below 40%

15. loganboyd

Look at the voltages for each cell in the Pilot App immediately after a full charge. What are the 4 voltages?

16. envisionabove

Need Proof! :)
    prove it.jpg busted.jpg smily.jpg

You Turn the battery on while charging and it will go to 100%

#16 envisionabove, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    gfredrone and Julius717 like this.
  17. zincsoldier

Just discharge your battery to under 8% and charge it back to 100% and see if it goes back to normal. I had this problem a few days ago and my battery dropped to 73% battery life. I did a complete discharge/charge and able to get 100% battery life back. This is the problem with the post on DJI forum as P3 battery is dynamic, it will suit itself to a condition to avoid damaging the cell.

18. danjordrone

Question if the 10 10 theory is correct about charging a lipo where is that stated please
    I like to do my best to preserve things and will stick by this theory if its true

19. Julius717

Well after charging them again last night everything seems good to go flew today and didn't have a single issue. Gonna be home in a bit to charge the 5 up lol only two chargers I need another one

20. bobmyers

Sounds like you just want to debunk it-- did you watch the video from MAD RC? That gentleman knows his phantoms and probably a lot about the battery information that he published on Youtube. Here is another:

Send an email to DJI support and see if they will give you their opinion or talk to the DJI representatives on this forum--

I'm sure that they will give you a square answer so that you will be able to assess the "facts" to make your own mind up and maybe convince some of the experts.:) Let us know what you find out. We may all need to reassess this information.

Cheers

DJ GK likes this.