New airport flight restrictions

Reaction score
I searched first, I hope this has not been covered a million times already.

My Phantom 3 Advanced now being restricted by the software/firmware and I have a few questions.

My house is located roughly 4.8 miles from two different airports, one local and one regional. My understanding is at that distance, I should be able to fly to nearly 400 feet.

And yet I'm not able to fly above 150 feet. At 150 feet a warning pop up appears that says "You are in a restricted area" and the drone will not let me go higher. The problem is that the trees in my area are about 130 feet high, not much room to spare. So I have a few questions:

1. Any idea why I would be restricted to 150 feet when I'm that far away from an airport?
2. What is the altitude restriction referenced to? Is it X feet above the ground where my home point is? It is X feet above the altitude of the airport itself?
3. If it is the height above the ground at the home point, would the height restriction follow the contour of the terrain? In other words, if I reset my home point to the lowest point of my property and fly it toward an uphill rise, will the maximum altitude adjust to the terrain or remain X feet above the home point?
4. Am I stuck with whatever they program into my drone or is there a path/method to change the restriction?

I made the mistake of calling DJI support before trying here. They told me "every airport decides their own altitude limit". And I don't think that makes any sense.

Any help appreciated. Thanks very much.

Looks like I'm not alone. The website says I can self authorize to fly in the new no fly zones. Can someone tell me how that works? It says I need to open a DJI account. How is that done?

From the website:

"However, in order to accommodate the vast variety of authorized applications, the new system will also allow users who have verified DJI accounts to temporarily unlock or self-authorize flights in some of those locations. The unlock function will not be available for sensitive national-security locations such as Washington, D.C. or other prohibited areas.

Unlocking will require a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number."

I havent flown in 81 days due to extreme weather - I managed my first and only flight - I literally had a 20 min window that was it. Imagine if I had a no fly zone to contend with?

Make a login:
Login | DJI Store
Unlock the area you want to fly in:
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Sometimes you have to attempt to fly (after unlocking), have it fail. Power off the drone, remote, and exit the app. Restart drone, remote, and app. I have had luck with this.

Christopher --- other than getting the confirmation when submitting "request for authorization zone" do you get any other confirmation? Text, notice on DJI page??? The DJI Page said my request is VALID, but I'm still unable to turn the props??? (Thx in Advance)

Christopher --- other than getting the confirmation when submitting "request for authorization zone" do you get any other confirmation? Text, notice on DJI page??? The DJI Page said my request is VALID, but I'm still unable to turn the props??? (Thx in Advance)

Nothing that I can recall. They changed my backyard from a unlock area to nothing, so I haven't had to bother with it for a while.

I tried the steps, the website says I have the valid unlock and the serial number is correct, how does that app know that its unlocked now.

The app would normally update when connected online. Then it downloads info to a memory on the P3 where the NFZ info is stored when you connect to it.

well, if that is the case then I do not have either and that would make sense although the site makes no mention of this.

Thanks

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl