New 2nd gen body with epoxy....

Reaction score
I had a bad experience with my P3P. I had flow this thing only 4 times and had stress cracks so I ordered the new and improved shell. The job wasn't too crazy but it was time consuming. For just a precaution I filled all the voids on the bottom half where the four motors go with a plastic epoxy just to beef it up some. If this thing cracks now I would be really surprised....

Reactions: sonof40
I had a bad experience with my P3P. I had flow this thing only 4 times and had stress cracks so I ordered the new and improved shell. The job wasn't too crazy but it was time consuming. For just a precaution I filled all the voids on the bottom half where the four motors go with a plastic epoxy just to beef it up some. If this thing cracks now I would be really surprised....
I have done the same thing with a few of my birds and so far so good. I haven't seen anymore cracking and have several flights on them.
Seems to be working and weighs less than those kits that they offer.

I have done the same thing with a few of my birds and so far so good. I haven't seen anymore cracking and have several flights on them.
Seems to be working and weighs less than those kits that they offer.[/QUOTE
Seems to be working and weighs less than those kits that they offer.
Now that's what I want to hear my friend!!!! Thanks for the respond on this topic....

It should work.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

l have seen people do this but am l wrong to think this could prevent cooling (stop flow) to the motors?

I have an Advanced .No cracks yet but I have read some guys back off all the motor screws and then tighten them just firm.
The theory being that over tightening in the factory contributes to the cracking.
Im not so sure about this . If you fly sedately you can see there is not as much torque on the motors/arms compared to throwing it around the sky. Im not suggesting we all fly in granny gear but I'm just thinking it over .
When I first got my Advanced it seemed noisy in the air and when I bought it close I could see the gimbal really vibrating on the mounts .I swapped to the second set of props and the vibration is much less and the AC sounds quieter .So maybe there is something in balancing the props also

I have an Advanced .No cracks yet but I have read some guys back off all the motor screws and then tighten them just firm.
The theory being that over tightening in the factory contributes to the cracking.
Im not so sure about this . If you fly sedately you can see there is not as much torque on the motors/arms compared to throwing it around the sky. Im not suggesting we all fly in granny gear but I'm just thinking it over .
When I first got my Advanced it seemed noisy in the air and when I bought it close I could see the gimbal really vibrating on the mounts .I swapped to the second set of props and the vibration is much less and the AC sounds quieter .So maybe there is something in balancing the props also
Roger on the theory of too tight of screws from the factory. Not only did I put the new shell on and added the epoxy I also backed off the screws when I tightened them. When I took off the factory torqued screws they were pretty tight. I know the epoxy will stiffen up the area that sees the most abuse. If it doesn't flex than it wont crack, I hope.....LOL

I have an advanced, older model. No cracks, original shell, filled my voids under the motor with plast-aid. Much better then epoxy. Bonds perfectly to the plastic on the phantom and becomes one with it. And i tighten the screws up too. Not a fan of the backing the screws off idea...No way this thing will ever crack under the motors....I can't say enough about this stuff...it's really quite amazing and you can use it for many projects...

I have an advanced, older model. No cracks, original shell, filled my voids under the motor with plast-aid. Much better then epoxy. Bonds perfectly to the plastic on the phantom and becomes one with it. And i tighten the screws up too. Not a fan of the backing the screws off idea...No way this thing will ever crack under the motors....I can't say enough about this stuff...it's really quite amazing and you can use it for many projects...

Interesting isn't that stuff made for pools.. what type did you get and how much to fill the mounts

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes it was but works on most plastics, hence the name. It didn't take much at all. You can buy it at most pool places. There are YouTube videos you can watch about it, and it will show its many uses. You just need to be careful when using it and put it on without getting it all over places you don't want or you will have to grind it away afterwards with a dremel tool cause it's that tough after it hardens which only takes about 10-15 minutes..I've used all sorts of epoxy's over the years and still love good old JB weld for lots of things but for plastic nothing compares to this stuff...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31