NEW 2800mAh

DeckerZ said:
Hey David, not sure if you got your batteries, but I ordered my Zippy 2800 3S from Hobbyking and after a week wait they arrived safely in Northern Ireland....
But Zippy 2800 does not fit to Phantom 1 without modifications, also has some different connector, right?

The 2800 fits easily into my Phantom 1. But, it is even easier to connect the battery if you make a cut in the side of the battery door (or the shell) for the battery cable, in order to connect outside the shell. I use an XT60 connector -- I believe that came installed on the Zippy but I don't remember.

gardenroute said:
DeckerZ said:
Hey David, not sure if you got your batteries, but I ordered my Zippy 2800 3S from Hobbyking and after a week wait they arrived safely in Northern Ireland....
But Zippy 2800 does not fit to Phantom 1 without modifications, also has some different connector, right?

Funtime.. Could you please tell me which of your 2700's weigh in @181.45 g ?
My 2700 maddog bats check in @ 202g.

funtimegrandpa said:
While I was thinking about the times, I thought I would suggest that if you do not have iosd or a way other than watching the lights on the phantom to know when it is time to land, you can buy 2 of these Low Voltage Alarms for $7 http://www.ebay.com/itm/350972901014?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

They are priceless in my opinion. I always set mine for 3.7 and that gives me at least a minute to get back and land. If you are daring set it for 3.6 as that is about the time your first red lights will start flashing.
Grandpa Jake

Where do you actually plug the buzzer in at? I imagine you have to hook it up to the balance plug on the pack every time, right? Or is there some place inside the phantom where you have yours hard wired in?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405189734262.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405189734262.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 438
Not what I meant. I meant where do you guys mount it, and do you always have to plug it into the battery pack when changing packs?
Like if there was a way to permanently wire it into the phantom's electronics to eliminate the need to plug it into the balance plug with every pack change. But I think I may have just answered my own question since there's no way to read every cell's voltage by only utilizing the main hot and ground wires from the pack.

Carry on folks. Nothing to see here. :)

Wanted to say thanks for this thread. After putting my fpv stuff on today and taking a flight I found I'm only able to stay aloft for between 5-6 min...6 min being I'm ON the ground. I ordered the 2800 battery (3 of them actually) today in hopes of getting my flight times back in the 8-9 min range. I also ordered the lipo checker because I didn't have one yet. Do you guys think I can get back to my desired flight times?

chuddly said:
Wanted to say thanks for this thread. After putting my fpv stuff on today and taking a flight I found I'm only able to stay aloft for between 5-6 min...6 min being I'm ON the ground. I ordered the 2800 battery (3 of them actually) today in hopes of getting my flight times back in the 8-9 min range. I also ordered the lipo checker because I didn't have one yet. Do you guys think I can get back to my desired flight times?

I've just spent some time today continuing my testing of several batteries including the SMC and Dinogy options funtimegrandpa mentioned, and on a loaded Phantom (H3-3D, iOSD mini, FPV Tx) they all get me to right about 8.5 minutes. However, that's just with stopping them all at 10.6v, a few of them may be able to be pushed a bit past that. More testing tomorrow

Little mod I did on the buzzer to make it easier to hit the right pins.
Don't need all of them, so I just heat shrinked the ones I don't need. Easier to remember that way.

Attachments

• IMG_20140712_190659.jpg
    IMG_20140712_190659.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 322
We have had not so good weather here so flying has been very limited. I have my new door, for the Zippy 2800mAh batteries. As I was saying before I'm getting 5mins out of each one. I think this is because of the NAZA-M voltage settings. So I have bed adjusting the settings and set the first low voltage at 10.4v, and the second at 10.0v. When I see the first red low voltage warning light I land the phantom and testing the battery capacity controller I am right down to 14%. I think this is a little low, though all the cells are around the 3.5v per cell, that was after 8m30s. So I think if I just fly the 8m and land my batteries should be in the 20% range.

I have also bought one of those carbon fibre platforms that hold batteries on the side of the Phantom, and an XT60 Y splitter cable for running 2 batteries together. I hope to test that today. It does add a significant amount of weight to the phantom compared to flying with just the OEM battery, but I should get 15 minutes or so flight time.

rsz_p1050096.jpg

I have one of those carbon fiber extra battery setups just laying around. The extra weight made my phantom feel like a giant turd flying, so I took it back off. I think it's the added weight of the battery and the fact that instead of being inside and out of the way, the batteries and those trays are now dead smack in the way of the thrust coming off the props, giving you less lift.

PJ105 said:
I have stock a v1.1.1, no gimbal or anything, just a gopro in the stock mount, and need better batteries.....is it possible to get a concensus which is more appropriate for my needs of better flying times between these two batteries:

1) the SMC at the beginning of this thread, ( http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?rou ... uct_id=235 )

or

2) the Dinogy ( http://dinogylipos.com/3s-lipos/147-2800mah-3s-25c-dji )

Price is about the same. Thoughts?

Thx in advance.

So far the Dinogy has been beating out the SMC consistently in my testing, so between those two that's what I would get. The Pulse 2700 has been performing very admirably as well, better than the SMC even.

PJ105 said:
Thx for the reply, will take note of it. In the meantime, found this other one, Lectron Pro 11.1V 3000maH 30C LiPo......3000aH!.....would there be any threshold that could adversely affect the system, or is it always a case of the higher the better??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lectron-Pro-11- ... 27e530bf18

That's one of the batteries in the group I'm testing right now, and it hasn't really outperformed any of the 2700-2800mAh options consistently yet. I had high hopes for it as well, but so far it's just been average with the rest. I have a suspicion that it's really just a re-label of the 2700mAh they'd already been selling for a while.

Ok, just did my first flight with one of my new SMC 2800s and I'm EXTREMELY impressed.
Charged these with the stock Phantom charger about 48 hours ago.
When I hooked the checker/buzzer on before flight I had the following:

ALL: 12.5V
Cell 1: 4.16V
Cell 2: 4.18V
Cell 3: 4.16V

This is a "naked" Phantom 1.0, so no gimbal or camera hooked to it.
It does have the taller/wider landing gear and P2 props as well as anti gravity motors.

I flew it in GPS mode the entire time about 100' up, pretty much full tilt forward, just doing figure 8s, circles, back and forth passes, etc. No slow hovering type stuff.

This was from a cold start, so it spent a minute or so just sitting there warming up with its orange lights blinking.

I managed to get 15 minutes 20 seconds out of it before the buzzer beeped at me really quick and the LED started to flash red. Brought it back and the buzzer wasn't buzzing anymore on the way down to me. So I cranked the throttle up one more time to see if I could get it to drain a bit more. Now the buzzer was beeping on the way up and on the way back down. LED turned back to a green flash when it finally landed. I managed to get to 15:45 when I turned the props off.

After letting the battery sit for about 5 minutes I get the following reading
All: 11.0V
Cell 1: 3.73
Cell 2: 3.68
Cell 3: 3.70

I'm VERY impressed with these batteries. I almost got tired of flying, it was up there so long. :)

15:45 is just about the exact average I got with the SMC when I was testing it on a naked Phantom (no camera/gimbal/fpv), and it seems my numbers didn't vary much at all whether I was zipping around or just hovering and drifting.

Is there any modification necessary to use the SMC battery? I'm trying to upgrade the battery with as little mod. as possible.

Maddog 2700 vs Dinogy 2800

will there be much of a difference?
Any special modification to the phantom for the dinogy besides holes on the side of the battery door?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4