New 2700mAh 30C Battery

phantomflyer said:
No I am wanting to get and provide a real in flight test but also trying to find a way to do it indoors that would provide the same results! Also because the **** wind won't let up to let me fly lol. I'll do my own little test indoors and provide what I can. On the first indoor test I figured if I get 15mins on 2200mAh and 20mins 2700mAh then for those who want to do a rough estimate if your only getting say 10mins on your stock 2200mAh in real world flight then you can expect 15mins on the 2700mAh in real world flight! This first test shows that every ones Phantom is running in the same manner with the exception of motor condition "No props, No weight, No wind, etc. etc." Then I'll provide flight time and numbers flying it when weathers better..
Oh to do this test, Should I just hook my battery tester that has a buzzer to it on both in flight and indoor test so I can tell when it actually gets to 3.6? Because like I've stated before my first low voltage warning light went off when I tested it the first time and I still had 11.4v on my reading!!

havasuphoto said:
You're not gonna believe this, but, the guy that sells these batteries, lives in the same town as me!!
Gonna send him a message, and see if I can't get at least 1 or 2 of these for testing. We have some wind now...but most of next week will be fine.
IF, I had checked the e-bay listing before I opened my mouth-we would already have test results(since I flew 3 batteries today).

I'll also await your test results.
Lol, That's awsome let us all know what you get and tell Jeff that **** head Keith from NH sent ya, lol.

phantomflyer said:
I'll do my own little test indoors and provide what I can. On the first indoor test I figured if I get 15mins on 2200mAh and 20mins 2700mAh then for those who want to do a rough estimate if your only getting say 10mins on your stock 2200mAh in real world flight then you can expect 15mins on the 2700mAh in real world flight!

Flying indoors is better than running propless motors any day. The results will be skewed because the FC won't be doing as much work maintaining position as it would outside even on a calm day. The best test of course is the average of several back to back comparisons in the same conditions but that's pretty tedious for sure.

Be careful of drawing conclusions based on "x minutes more." 20 from 15 is 33% more, whereas that same 5 minutes added to 10 is 50% more.

Okay I did the out door test tonight and I really don't think my results are going to be helpful as it is doing the same thing it did on the first test!
For the 2200mAh stock I got 7 and a half minutes fully charged 12.5-4.18/4.16/4.18 where the cell readings, I flew it back and forth about 100' over the pond until I seen the red light do a rapid blink and brought it back I didn't hear the buzzer go off which I had set for 3.6v so I sent it up and down until I started hearing the buzzer but as soon as I brought it back down the buzzer stopped and I was getting my second warning light, I test the battery right after landing and it said it was at 11.1v? I tested again 5 minutes later and got 11.2-3.76/3.73/3.75.

The 2700mAh was around 9 and a half so I got two minutes extra! Readings from start was 12.5v-4.18/4.16/4.20. Flew it in the same manner as 2200mAh test and got the same results at the end with the low voltage LED light going off before the battery was fully drained 11.1v with a reading of 11.3v 3.77/3.76/3.77 5 minutes after flight!

I'm thinking the weight of my Phantom may be the issue with the LED going of so soon before the battery drains but I'll get the weight checked out tomorrow.

phantomflyer said:
Okay I did the out door test tonight and I really don't think my results are going to be helpful as it is doing the same thing it did on the first test!
For the 2200mAh stock I got 7 and a half minutes fully charged 12.5-4.18/4.16/4.18 where the cell readings, I flew it back and forth about 100' over the pond until I seen the red light do a rapid blink and brought it back I didn't hear the buzzer go off which I had set for 3.6v so I sent it up and down until I started hearing the buzzer but as soon as I brought it back down the buzzer stopped and I was getting my second warning light, I test the battery right after landing and it said it was at 11.1v? I tested again 5 minutes later and got 11.2-3.76/3.73/3.75.

The 2700mAh was around 9 and a half so I got two minutes extra! Readings from start was 12.5v-4.18/4.16/4.20. Flew it in the same manner as 2200mAh test and got the same results at the end with the low voltage LED light going off before the battery was fully drained 11.1v with a reading of 11.3v 3.77/3.76/3.77 5 minutes after flight!

I'm thinking the weight of my Phantom may be the issue with the LED going of so soon before the battery drains but I'll get the weight checked out tomorrow.

Thanks for reporting the tests! You're indeed getting about 30% more flight time which is right in line with a true 2700mah pack, great results. Your low voltage alarm works by total pack voltage, whereas the buzzer sounds only when the cell it is currently testing drops below your set threshold, so there's can be a difference in behavior. If you're descending or let off the throttle, your load will drop and either alarm may temporarily stop. Ending at 11.2v and 11.3v after flight suggests that you can run both your stock and your 2700mah down a little bit more. My batteries recover to 11.1v after 5 minutes, but recovery rate depends on a few factors, which is why you need to take several things into account to determine your battery health.

A heavy bird will draw more power on load, so you'll have situations where you'll trigger the low voltage alarm on throttle, but in reality the battery isn't really "drained."

So should I change the low voltage setting on my assistant software so the alarm doesn't go off so soon and what would be the best setting? Its currently at,

First Alarm: No Load:11.30 Loss:0.60 Loaded:10.70

Second alarm: No Load:11.20 Loss:0.60 Loaded:10.60

I don't know should I change the Loss to 70 or 80 so that my warning light goes off a little latter or just take weight off? I'm all right with the time I get so far and I have another Phantom that I need to repair but plan on not adding to much to it in case I want to get a longer flight so I may keep what I have on this one I don't know so many decisions lol.

phantomflyer said:
So should I change the low voltage setting on my assistant software so the alarm doesn't go off so soon and what would be the best setting? Its currently at,

First Alarm: No Load:11.30 Loss:0.60 Loaded:10.70

Second alarm: No Load:11.20 Loss:0.60 Loaded:10.60

I don't know should I change the Loss to 70 or 80 so that my warning light goes off a little latter or just take weight off? I'm all right with the time I get so far and I have another Phantom that I need to repair but plan on not adding to much to it in case I want to get a longer flight so I may keep what I have on this one I don't know so many decisions lol.

Takin off weight is a separate issue. That generally takes into account functionality, and you gotta decide what you want to do with the Phantom in the air. Now, if you want to remove weight without sacrificing functionality, we can talk :). I was at 1193g before adding FPV, and now after adding FPV and larger 9" props, my final AUW is...1193g :)

If you don't change your flying style, I think you can go 10.6/10.5 on your low voltage alarm. Just be sure to check your cell voltages after flight and make sure you are not dropping below 3.6v per cell, and that your 5min recovery voltage is at least 11.0. Those setting work well for me, but I'm sure others have different levels of conservatism.

ElGuano said:
Takin off weight is a separate issue. That generally takes into account functionality, and you gotta decide what you want to do with the Phantom in the air. Now, if you want to remove weight without sacrificing functionality, we can talk :). I was at 1193g before adding FPV, and now after adding FPV and larger 9" props, my final AUW is...1193g :)

? How did it way the same after adding the FPV and 9"props?

phantomflyer said:
ElGuano said:

? How did it way the same after adding the FPV and 9"props?

When I was looking to add FPV, I noticed that a VTX is pretty light--just 21g. That's almost as light as my "deluxe low voltage buzzer". Add an RHCP antenna for about 6g, FPV cable for 5g, and 10g more for the 9" props, and that's 42g extra weight. Not bad at all to get real-time video from a flying machine, but I set a personal challenge to get rid of most of it, and get as close to 1200g as I could.

I already did the easy stuff - landing gear, carbon fiber bits, unified dual-bats. So to take it to the next level, I carved 18g off the Tarot gimbal, 8g off the motherboard, 4g by cutting the domes off my prop nuts (I needed to do that so they don't hit the top of the duratool case :roll:) and most recently, over 12g of wire weight by cleaning up some poor earlier soldering and replacing poorly spliced wires.

It all seems really nitpicky and OCD (and yes, it is), but in the end I got rid of all 42g and ended up with the same AUW as before--1193g. 42g is 42 seconds more flight, and an 1193g bird is getting 5 minutes more airtime than a comparably equipped 1400g copter, so the small bits really add up.

This is relevant because you're getting a lot of bang for the buck with 2700mah. You're getting 500mah more for 20g, with zero overhead. Now that's efficient! But if you need more flight time, and run that as a dual-battery config, that 400g brick is going to cross the line and you'll be using up most of the extra amps just lifting the extra weight. So if you need more than the 9 minutes flight you're getting now, dieting's got to be a part of the equation.

I bought the dual battery mount and tried it out a couple times awhile back. I didn't seem to be getting any extra flight time but then again I've never really tested it on a stop watch I just didn't like the Idea of that extra weight plus what I already have on it so I removed the mounts.
I weighed my Phantom with the 2700mAh,Carbon fiber landing skids with a jello mount, Vision props "non self tightening" so nuts included, FatSark camera and Tx with antenna attached and two LED light with a small plastic mount to hold one of the LED lights in place along with a camera when I need to put the camera on which wasn't at the time but weighed at 45 and a half grams, The Phantom with all that I mentioned weighed 1066grams if I ad my camera it weighs 1116grams because the camera also has a plastic clip to hold it on the mount that I didn't weigh but figure its around 5 grams! I checked all this on a friends digital scale that only gave readings in pounds and ounces but converted the 2.35 pounds into grams and the .10 for the camera, So until I get to a post office scale and or buy one this reading is for now just an around number and not actual weight!
I'm happy for what I'm getting in flight time but still may take the skids off as I feel that they are only on there to make it look cool as I have learned to come in better on my landings and not tip any more the skids helped that but no need for them now plus that will save on my motors from having to work so much keeping itself balanced and weight in the air.

How did you get the vision props to work on a standard phantom 1.0 with non-self tightening nuts??
Sorry for the OT question-but I'd love to use those larger vision props, but, I don't have the black and silver nuts....all my props tighten in one direction-and I don't want to swap out 2 engines.

havasuphoto said:
How did you get the vision props to work on a standard phantom 1.0 with non-self tightening nuts??
Sorry for the OT question-but I'd love to use those larger vision props, but, I don't have the black and silver nuts....all my props tighten in one direction-and I don't want to swap out 2 engines.
knockoff 9443 props are available that just have the "old style" keyed hole bored out. You just tighten with your existing property nuts. They're all over eBay and are available in plastic or carbon fiber.

ElGuano said:
havasuphoto said:
knockoff 9443 props are available that just have the "old style" keyed hole bored out. You just tighten with your existing property nuts. They're all over eBay and are available in plastic or carbon fiber.
OK, and these are the same shape, and 9 1/2"??
What is the increase in flight times with just the prop change? Any different handling characteristics?

Phantasmic said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Or these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-9-9443-Car ... OU:US:1120

Just be prepared to adjust your gains. I'm still working on that. With stock gains my v1 Phantom is crazy sensitive to normal inputs.
I'm not touching carbon fiber props.......they tend to shatter and can easily damage the motor.
I'm concerned about the clearance issue stated in the post. As for the gains....I'm assuming your trying to De-sensitive the aircraft? I have a Futaba remote, so I can switch to a much lower sensitivity when flying in Atti mode or while filming.

Is there another thread about these props for the Phantom 1.0 that I can follow and discuss this?
I don't want to de-rail this thread....I'm still waiting to get my hands on one of these batteries ;)

havasuphoto said:
ElGuano said:
havasuphoto said:
OK, and these are the same shape, and 9 1/2"??
What is the increase in flight times with just the prop change? Any different handling characteristics?
I can't compare the knockoffs to the genuine ones, but I went from 14 minutes to 17. Some people report going from 8 minutes to 12, which makes me suspect something weird is going on.

The 9443s are louder. And the knockoffs absolutely need to be balanced or they feel like you are constantly fighting a flyaway in manual mode. Once balanced they are smooth and responsive. I don't do sport flying so I don't know if they are different at the limits.

Phantasmic said:
havasuphoto said:
I'm not touching carbon fiber props.......they tend to shatter and can easily damage the motor.

?????????

I can understand that CF props are more likely to shatter if folks crash their Phantom but I have never read of anyone claiming that carbon fiber props can "easily damage a motor."

Do you have an explanation for that theory and links to instances where carbon fiber props have easily damaged motors?

Thanks.
That is what I was told by the "experts" that put together and sold me my kit. I have no other proof......
I'm more interested in increasing flight times-and those with the self-tightening Phantom 1's can use the original factor vision props. So, I'm wondering how well those handle.
I don't fly in manual mode-ever. Usually just Atti or GPS mode.

Like I said; is there another thread somewhere, we can discuss this? Trying to stay on topic about the batteries.
Thanks

havasuphoto said:
Phantasmic said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Or these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-9-9443-Car ... OU:US:1120

Just be prepared to adjust your gains. I'm still working on that. With stock gains my v1 Phantom is crazy sensitive to normal inputs.
I'm concerned about the clearance issue stated in the post. As for the gains....I'm assuming your trying to De-sensitive the aircraft? I have a Futaba remote, so I can switch to a much lower sensitivity when flying in Atti mode or while filming.

Is there another thread about these props for the Phantom 1.0 that I can follow and discuss this?
I don't want to de-rail this thread....I'm still waiting to get my hands on one of these batteries ;)

Hay no prob, My thread and the battery's seem to be sold out for now, But yes I've seen many threads about the Vision props and people using them on their Phantom v1 I've got an extra two minutes with mine but do feel that it could be a little more stable. I've never checked the balance on it and have notice a little drift now and then but put it off because I fly in GPS all the time plus it doesn't always drift or drift in the same direction for that matter and I thought my skids and transmitter mount may have something to do with the balance of the unit, I just need to have a very nice day that I'm not working to do a full all out test on this all to ease the mind!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl