new 2312 motors and battery "current discharge" warning

Reaction score
Howdy folks

I have the old standard vision+ (not a v3) but I have ESC 2.1 and the new 2312 motors. Its running v3.08 firmware... I have not updated to 3.12 yet.
Sometimes when I ascend (left stick full up) for a few seconds I get a warning "battery current discharge" or something along those lines..
I can ascend at full speed for any amount of time, 5 seconds or 10 seconds etc and sometimes get the warning. If I keep ascending or stop or go down or do anything really the message goes away and all is fine.

I had the 2312 motors around xmas with the old ESC... and I would get the warning then to sometimes... I took the 2312 motors off due to the ESC bug... but I recently bought some ESC 2.1 so I installed the new motors again. When I had the old stock motors I never got the warning.

I thought maybe it was just one 1 of the batteries, but it seems it happens on both of them..

I can zoom around at full speed (right stick up) and do crazy movements etc for 15 minutes/full battery I never see the warning... but if I ascend at full speed I will sometimes get the discharge warning. So its to do with when the quad goes up.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem ? What should I do ? Try discharge batteries to 0% perhaps ? Maybe upgrade to 3.12 ?

I am suspecting its just a bug with the app..... well hoping... :/ Not having any other issues with the 2312 or ESC 2.1, and as I said I also got the warning when I had the old ESC with 2312's, so I don't think the ESC are faulty.

Yes, I have seen this happen one time in over 50 flights, I have no clue, it was months ago and only saw it happen 1 time on my V3

It's probably telling you that you're using more power/current than the batteries are rated for. The most power will be drawn during full speed ascent. The new motors have more thrust than the old, so that's probably why you get the warning with them. The baterry has to deliver an impressive amount of current when the motors are going at max power lifting the quad.

Hmm Max yeah that basically sounds whats happening..
I can do a slower ascent or full speed few seconds..stop...full speed again etc etc.... thats if I dont want msg to popup... might have to start doing that...

Any other non v3 owners with 2312s have same issue. I renember around xmas in another thread about the new motors someone mentioned the same thing..

Anyways why is it not happenimg to v3 ppl??

My batteries have done maybe 70-80 charges so maybe there alittle tired? I might run them down to 0%:again.. sposed to every 10 or so charges I think DJI says..
hmmm I might try with a friends v+ (non v3) battery.. his is only 20 or so charges... if it still happens... well hmmmm.. would mean I have some issue....

Does anyone know who us Aus people can speak to for support? Normallly I use DJI websitr and I might....might get a pointless reply.. The Aus distributor is even more useless, if thats possible...

Besides run out batteries to 0% and try a fresher battery
any suggestions on what to try? Have done adv IMU and all that...

The new motors draw more current so when you are at max throttle and your batteries are not fully charged (or old) they can't cope, voltage sags and you start having issues - additional heat, auto land, complete shutdown...
Of course it gets worse if your phantom is on the heavy side with flytrex stuff etc.
There was a post by REME in RCgroups where he was using a new APP indicating amps and voltage and he could see he was pretty close to the battery's limits at times.
I'm thinking of downgrading my v3 to the old motors and ESCs. No more issues with solid motor wires going to the ESC and extra peace of mind knowing I'm not straining the batteries as much and flight time is supposed to increase very slightly and to be honest, having both a P2V with old motors but heavy Chinese gimbal and a P2 v2 with new motors the difference is not that noticeable.
Actually my P2V is way faster and has more power as I'm running firmware 1.08.

Still don't understand why people upgrade to the new motors and ESCs, only increasing chance to crashes for very little gain.
Now if DJI would bring out higher C rated batteries that would change things around but would also increase weight and decrease flight time further.

Thanks for posting up all that info. Concerning what you say about the guy who did testing....

Really dont want to uninstall motors for a second time.

Hmmm...

If what you are saying is correct, and I am not doubting it but then v3 owners should run into the exact same issues when there batteries get used, right?
v3 owners have the same setup with the exception of abit of shielding and few extras? Or did DJI add in something which fixs this for them?

What was the "dont know what you mean" bit about?

*edit* ah its the new taco fpv app... thanks again!

I saw this error again yesterday, every time on full throttle assent, totally stock V3 with about 100 flights on 2 batteries, using the Ultimate Flight APP, wonder what the problem is?

Yep I had a thread awhile back on it. I took it in to UAV direct to check out. I was getting that warning on my two batteries with firmware 2.60. I do not get it on my batteries that have 2.0 firmware. Not sure if that is it, but batteries seem to work fine other getting that warning. I even replaced the motors to T Motors & still get warning.

to get around the error now when I ascend I do it in shorter burst.. then stop and repeat... or alternativly just ascend but not at full power. Either of those has stopped error coming back.

You may want to go read up on "Internal resistance" at battery university site.... Your batteries with 100 or so cycles are getting old. as they get older, their internal resistance increases.

when you go up, you pull max current from the battery. If you install ultimate flight app you will get a log every sec of all kinds of battery data that will show you real time what is going on causing this. You will see current draw and battery voltage at the same time. From this you can see the voltage droop due to the higher internal resistance of your older batteries. I believe you will also get columns of data showing if there is any fault and you can correlate that fault you are seeing with the same time frame of the battery response.

You can also then borrow your friend's battery and go up; compare HIS voltage at the same 32 amp current draw and see how his newer battery does not droop since his newer battery has lower internal resistance. So to prevent the possiblility of the pv doing something on its own like shutting down or something, I would highly recommend you NOT go full throttle up until you replace those tired batteries.

Hmmm thanks for the info, that is kinda what I thought.. but you explained it in an actual technical way :)
Makes sense what you said.. I actually purchased the app then did a refund without actually trying it out... it had a few issues.... but am going to purchase it again soon.. probably today.
Anyways yeah I still need to try with a fresh battery.

It sounds like V3 owners will also get the error as there batteries get older.. seen a few v3 owners already start to see the error.

Anyways until I get new batteries do you think going up at less than full power (so the error doesnt come up) is safe ? Or should I do short bursts to lift up (still not at max power)

Hmmm its my bday in a few months.... but by then my batteries will be at 200+ charges lol..I'll be lucky if the quad survives till then.. might have to purchase some myself :/

Anyways thanks again.

Just recently got this same message the last few trips that is why i stumbled on this post looking for answers.I have p2v+ (v3)and i've been going for 10000ft so i put a old v+ camera/gimble on that had once been swimming but now works decent,(figure if bird goes down break that one instead of flawless one)i get the message when i'm returning in atti full speed (bout 45 mph) if i back off throttle even slightly i never get message. I thought it was camera short circuit but now i think its the weight of flytrex live wi-fi antennas & 2 panel antennas, this bird is heavy as a big brick. Flies great though. Any opinions?

Just a thought... When you upgraded the ESC's and motors did you re-do the IMU calibration. And secondly upgrading the motors did you upgrade to the matching props?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20