Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

NEVER fly near... (fill in)

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Help' started by IceFireSoul, Aug 5, 2013.

1. IceFireSoul

Let's collect data on the conditions / places where we lost signal (interference), or compass went wrong, or gps failed...

I'll start it off with a story. This evening I was flying near the top of a building in the city that has GSM antennas (2) mounted up there. While near them, flying in CL mode; at one point I've found out that flying BACK actually moved the bird FORWARD. I tried twice, before getting panicked (as every forward leap moved it towards the building and towers). I switched to Failsafe and it came above me. From there I took control and landed. Still shaking. Were the cell towers the issue?

2. Larsnim

In Denmark where I an from, a lot of the Mobile network is at 2,4 GHz so it might be the antennas causing the interferrence.

Regards Lars

3. IceFireSoul

Hm, you are right on 2.4 ... but what I experienced was that pressing "back" (while standing so that back should be back), Phantom moved forward.

4. PTCX

If you fly in range of many 2.4Ghz wi-fi extenders the phantom will stop and hover and you will have no control.
    These cheap wi-fi extenders are flooding the market and who doesn't want more wi-fi range right.The problem is the cheaper they are it seems the more interference they cause.

Someone living near to me has bought one recently and I know when they are online buy flying over my neighbors yard and the Phantom just stops and hovers,with no directional control.It happens in exactly the same spot every time.
    I have to turn off TX to enter failsafe to get the Phantom back.
    The fist time it happened I connected the Phantom to my laptop and had to connect to my wi-fi internet modem and noticed a new entry in the available networks list that is simply named "wi-fi extender",now whenever it happens I can see that wi-fi extender there on the networks list.

On a side note,I too have a problem with CL mode.Sometimes the directional controls will be inverted so left becomes right and forward becomes backward etc.Sometimes it gets stuck in CL mode when I switch back to HL mode and I have to turn the IOC off to regain proper control.

5. IceFireSoul

Well, on getting stuck in CL (no HL) that would happen by documentation when GPS reception goes low.

But the messed-up directions in CL mode itself; that seems to be an issue. We should never rely on this. It's just an "alternative"; not a solid way of controlling it or getting out of danger.