Neutral Density GoPro filter - first flights

Reaction score
I picked up a Polar Pro ND filter today.

Here in Texas as elsewhere the sun is bright and has been causing wash out and seeing the propeller reflections in the video. I had also seen a little jello out of my H3-3D gimbal on one flight.

I installed it and headed out to fly today. I flew 3 batteries in separate places and facing all directions.

I rushed home and put the Micro-SD card in the computer and could not believe the video. It is the difference between day and night. I really didn't realize how bad my video had been. This is the best $30 I spent on my Phantom. If you don't have one you need one!

As a side not I didn't counterbalance the gimbal at all. It doesn't even know the filter is on it. No noises or anything.

The filter stays on tight but also removes easily.

Curious if folks do anything other than increase brightness to compensate for the reduced light with an ND filter in video editing software post-production?

My looks great as-is. That said I guess when it's not so bright outside I'll take it off.
I would also like to hear what others do.

I like mine too. Especially when buzzing passed ground in low flight. The blur gives good illusion of speed.

I have not tried an ND filter, although I'd like to.
So far, I've been shooting in ProTunes and have been able to adjust everything in post production.
I have a sunshield on the lens at all times for prop shadows and reflections.

postby damoncooper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:23 pm
Curious if folks do anything other than increase brightness to compensate for the reduced light with an ND filter in video editing software post-production?
I have only flown once with my ND filter installed, but had to do some color balancing of the video in post-production. Need to do some more testing with it, to see if I like it or not but haven't had the opportunity to use it recently.

which ones are the lightest or are they all about the same quality and weight? I have been thinking about getting one since I will be mostly flying in the bright sun of arizona.

Some are plastic, thus lighter, but the PolarPro is glass and I have read great reviews about it.
I have a glass lens cover with a shield and the gimbal has no problems with it on.

Fyod said:
I have not tried an ND filter, although I'd like to.
So far, I've been shooting in ProTunes and have been able to adjust everything in post production.
I have a sunshield on the lens at all times for prop shadows and reflections.

Although post production can take care of some things, the ND filter will clear up the jello effect that post production can't fix.

Is the general thought that these are safe to use on the gimbal?

We have all seen posts where people have the gimbal go wacky and not work properly anymore but none caused by adding a filter correct?

Thanks for the info.

My gimbal has actual been quieter with the filter on. The gimbal doesn't seem to know it's there. That said when the power is off it does flop forward but it is better balance horizontally than it was. Mine used to flop to the left.

Only time will tell but it appears to work just fine.

HarryT said:
Can anyone recommend a GoPro sunshield? I can't find one on Amazon.
Made my own (DIY) Sun Shield for GoPro camera from a piece of old exposed negatives and rubber O ring from the Chinese LED lamps. It cost nothing and is 100% functional:)

However, you can buy something similar SunGlare Lens Protector from ViewKopter for some US $12.50...
$_57.JPG

Expedition "Go Africa 2013" - Phantom in southern Africa

Attachments

• GoPro SunHood01_30%.jpg
    GoPro SunHood01_30%.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 527
From everything I've read if you use the sun shield you won't be able to use the gopro wide views just medium and one other.

Is anyone using one with gopro wide view?

knuckles said:
From everything I've read if you use the sun shield you won't be able to use the gopro wide views just medium and one other.

That's fine with me. I always have my GoPro set to 1080/50/Medium. I find it gives more natural-looking pictures than the wide-angle views with their fish-eye distortion.

hrosee said:
I picked up a Polar Pro ND filter today.

Here in Texas as elsewhere the sun is bright and has been causing wash out and seeing the propeller reflections in the video. I had also seen a little jello out of my H3-3D gimbal on one flight.

I installed it and headed out to fly today. I flew 3 batteries in separate places and facing all directions.

I rushed home and put the Micro-SD card in the computer and could not believe the video. It is the difference between day and night. I really didn't realize how bad my video had been. This is the best $30 I spent on my Phantom. If you don't have one you need one!

As a side not I didn't counterbalance the gimbal at all. It doesn't even know the filter is on it. No noises or anything.

The filter stays on tight but also removes easily.

You use the Venture 3?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1